!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Gone Hunting.. > The Camp Fire

Found some Rust on my old hunting knives....

(1/5) > >>

BoBallistic:
Found some rust of my hunting knives, a lot of rust...as most of you know, I was in GA in 2019 for an early work day, cleaning up the camp when I check my messages, found out that I had a screaming wife who had left me an (before breakfast) message on it my phone letting me know that we had 2" in the basement (when we stay, it is a finish and always been finish) where we stay when it gets hot and the gun room is down there anyway, basically we have a 5 bedroom house that has a double garage built under the house...so we have 4 up and the 5th one down, I am writing this from the small office (5th bedroom) upstairs....

So it came to me a surprise that we had a flooded basement after all i had been here since the 91 and it has not flooded in all that time (neither has it flooded since) and I'm an not in the flood zone either, it just rain, rain and rain here in Feb 2019, there are drone pictures on you tube showing the flooded part of TN where I live at....man did we get the rain...and it cost me $26K out of my pocket to "fix" this problem....

But when I removed the Knife Toolbox and looked into (I thought that all these tool boxes were water proof, boy was I wrong) removed the top portion all I found was rusted knives and rusted sheaths...so I immediately got out the vinegar and put a bowl of the white vinegar out in the gun room, but the rust remains.....I will take my time and make sure that I can salvage the knives but the sheaths are a replacement job at the best....boy oh boy....

Will check the tool box more often than before. It had been a couple of years since I look in on them and it will be at least a few months before I check on them again, in other words check them more often than every two years!!! my bad for now checking them....but the knives hold some good time memories, it contains Dads first hunting knife and the one my parents gave me as a Christmas present back when I was 13 or 14 sometimes around that time....

If anybody knows anything about severe rust please leave a reply here....do have my small brass and steel brushes, steel wool and a gallon of vinegar (went do to Kroger yesterday and purchase their biggest (gallon) of it, just one for now....Will have to seal up the tool box (on all of 5 tool boxes) that house the old stuff that I have.....

Bo

MichiganLouie:
Bo, try some Evaporust. $22.95 per gallon at home depot. I've never used it, but guys on my castboolits forum swear by it.

yari:
i would start w/ steel wool and work my way up. if it's pitted, you may have to grind them down.

my grandpa was a blacksmith and made me a knife. it sits in my safe since he passed many years ago. i won't risk losing it. he was an amazing man

BoBallistic:
ML- Will order some tonight and will let you know how it works out.....

Yari - Yea have all my steel wool ready.....don't think that they were pitted, but did through away one of the 2 extra magazine that I have for the Ruger 22/45 Goverment model....order 3 more off of Gunbroker this morning.....

Thanks for you feed back, will let you guys know, will have to buy a buffing wheel....that is for sure.....

BoBallistic:
ML - The first gallon arrived yesterday and the second gallon will arrive on Tuesday....so hopefully that will fill the bill.....

This is going to hurt some, did pull out my reloading tool box with all my primers in it both the regular rifle and the mag plus the gold metal primers....and found them stuck together and the boxes had rusted through....man oh man...lost about $1000 dollars in primers Friday and began to throw them out this morning, had about 15K of the CCI-BR2 and about 5K in the Winchester and Remington primers....ouch! lost about half my magnum primers, fortunately for me it that I had all my small rifle primers out and on the shelf....I was able to save about 6200 CCI-BR2 primers and about 800 of the Federal 215 Magnum primers....still more that enough to last me the rest of my life......lost all of my Federal Gold Match 215 primers and the Remington and was able to salvage one box (100) of the Winchester primers....

So I order plastic replacement tool boxes with tray to replace the metal tool boxes with trays I bought 40 years ago....I guess it was time....going to start tomorrow and go through the knifes and get the rust remover out and pour it into a plastic container and start the process from there......if this plastic tool boxes works out, will replace all of the metal with plastic ones on the next Amazon order.....we will see....

Still could have primers problem when I start reloading those rounds?

Thought I would share the sad news about the primers....man it hurts to but there is always a silver lining.....Bo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version