!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

Gone Hunting.. > Deer Hunting

2020 season for yari

(1/2) > >>

yari:
first of all HELLO. i couldn't believe it when i checked in and saw posts. here is my 2020 in a nutshell:

emily's bear hunt kicked everything off. we only had 2 nights because of college. we saw 3 bears, but no boars. the savage 220 was shooting dimes, but didn't get fired. we had a lot of fun though

i left the next week for AZ bow elk. AZ was burned up. no rain since march and 130 days of 100+ temps. my daytime temps were 85-95. IT WAS HOT!! mornings were on fire. were were in bulls every morning. it was too much of a good thing. 99% of the waterholes were dry, so all the elk were so concentrated it was tough to get through the 'smaller' bulls(300-340"). this was a pure trophy zone. i was looking for 350" or better. i had 2 booners at 7 and 40 yards and no shot!. they were huge. i passed on several other including a 6x7 that was past his prime. we called him in 3 times. it was a 15 year wait and worth every bit of the wait. in the end, i didn't kill. i still haven't slept a single night w/o seeing bulls

i had 1 target deer at the cabin. he disappeared 10/13. at home, the only shooter got busted up and lost 1/2 of his rack. no deer shot in WI

SD was great. lots of 140+ bucks to chase. we got 3 of them. the 4th was a mistake. i got a 150" the last day in 75 degree heat. i saw him w/ a doe at 1400 yards. i made a sweaty stalk to 479 yards. i anchored him w/ 2 quick shots. it's funny how you can see your heartbeat moving the crosshairs at that distance. this is my longest shot by 101 yards, so i now have a personal best to beat

as for new equipment, after the SD hunt i decided i needed a spotting scope. it's wide open out there and a good spotter will be invaluable. i picked up a tract toric 27x55x80. wow, they has great glass at 1/2 the price of Leica, swaro... and in my opinion just as good. i can't tell the difference   

there you go. it was a great fall. lots of miles on the truck. i had a blast during a pandemic. i only wish i could hunt AZ every year. if anyone would like more detail, PM me. i didn't want to write a book

sundowner:
Sounds like you and yours had a great fall yari , and welcome back , yes we're back web wise , join the fun .

Puddle Jumper:
WOW! 

Is all I can say!

Good on You!

PJ

buckone1:
Congrats on an eventful season. Having fun is what it is all about. @--0--0123 @--0--0123

Madgomer:
Wow - sounds like a great year overall Yari.  Hopefully Em can get after a bear again and test out that Savage.

Welcome back by the way!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version