New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: new york antler restriction proposal scrapped  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
Re: new york antler restriction proposal scrapped
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:42 AM »
I'll issue one last post on this issue and then I'll be Quiet, honest.

All of you know I am not against Antler Restrictions on a biological basis.

My objection is to how the proposal was considered not what was considered and is a follows:

First  The DEC compared apples to oranges.  They added 2 types of responses on the approval side and only 1 type of response on the opposition side.

On the approve side they included/added the "strongly approve" and "moderately approve" responses to get the 67%. On the opposition side they only included the "strongly opposed" responses to meet the more than 20% strong opposition number requirement.  (The actual number was 22% strong opposition)

The DEC discounted/did not include the 8+% moderate opposition responses, these people had no say in the matter. These were the numbers for my WMU 40.

Do you think that is fair?  If you use an even playing field and add the 8+% "moderately opposed" response figures we get close to 30% opposed.

1 out almost every 3 hunters were opposed to it.   If this were a straight majority vote, it should have passed.  But it is not a "vocal" majority wins issue.  It would have been a MAJOR AND HISTORIC change and I believe rightfully should have required stronger support than just 2 out of every 3 hunters.  

Discounting 1/3 of the hunters opinions on this issue would hurt the sport and the local economies and not be right in view of such a massive change.

Additionally, as noted in this weeks New York Outdoors, the proposal and its uneven method of calculation were the result of a "deal" the vocal local sportsmans clubs/federations had with the DEC.  The project was put forth by these vocal and organized groups representing only a small minority of hunters in the affected areas.  Indeed, my own Delaware County groups decided to remain neutral and neither supported or opposed the proposal.

The method of calculating support vs opposition was uneven and unfair.

Second  The proposal does not give an exception to those new hunters, over 17yrs old, who have not yet taken a buck in their lives.

Many new hunters are over 17.  They come to the sport as parents, friends, simply interested individuals, etc. and yet would have been subject to the regulation.

Why is it a junior hunter (one 17yrs. or under) can take bucks over 4 seasons (14yrs-17yrs old) in both bow and regular seasons for a possible total of 8 bucks under the old regulation before being subject to the proposal while an accompanying new hunter, such as a hunting parent, (who has never taken a buck) would have to pass up the same bucks?  Again, does this seem fair?  

The exemption is to keep the youngsters interested in hunting, why aren't we concerned with keeping the new adult hunter interested in hunting?

The end result is that I am in favor of AR's but next time please calculate and evaluate the support and opposition numbers fairly and equally.  Make the exemption for any hunters (who have never taken a buck in their lives), regardless of age, the same across the board.

Finally, one emotional statement.  As an adult hunter who has never taken a buck, I listen to other hunters tell wonderfull stories about their first bucks, mostly spikes, forkhorns, etc.  You are now the ones calling for these AR's.  This, to me, is hypocritical.  Why do you want to deny me the opportunity to get that first buck, the same opportunity you so obviously enjoyed and remember fondly?

Jaeger  
Still trying for my "first buck".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 05:30:19 PM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

Offline madhunters

• 2010 Aug. Prize Winner
  • 4 Point
  • KS 2010 buck
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »
Jaeger, Good luck with that first buck.

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »
Thanks, God willing, I hope it will be this year, and yes, you will see a plethora of pics!

As my lodge brothers used to say on the fishing trip, "how much is that (the first) flounder.  Oh, about $70 a pound.  Later, after the second fish.  How much is flounder going for now, Oh about $35 a pound.

My first buck will be in excess of $500,000- farm, mortgage, taxes, utilities, equipment, food plots, seed, lime, fertilizer (argh!), stands,.........need I continue?  I figure my first buck, dressed out, will be around $3,000 per pound.

It will be worth it.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:08:14 AM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad