New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Are you permitted to carry a sidearm while Bowhunting?  (Read 22770 times)

Offline CSA

• Sept. 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Are you permitted to carry a sidearm while Bowhunting?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 05:14:55 PM »
I pulled this question from the Florida game and fish web site, You can carry a concealed weapon (i.e. pistol) on almost any watermanagement area (the ones you can't are listed) during any time of year including archery season if you have a concealed weapons permit and do not open carry. Now if you shoot something that mite be a whole nother storey.

http://myfwc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2429&p_created=1162501489&p_sid=EzLQz6Ij&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzUsMzUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9YXJjaGVyeQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
Florida Master Mason
NRA Member
Member of Bogia Swamp Hunting Club

Offline Goinhuntin

• Spike
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »
So the answer in SD is yes an archery hunter can carry a side arm BUT must have a valid concealed weapons permit.
Hunting is a passion, Family is my life.

NAHC Member

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:33:18 PM »
Same here in Michigan, but if I remember right, in Colorado you can carry open while bowhunting.  I hear ya Russcat, here in Michigan it isn't a good thought to be hunting bear with a bow and trying to walk out at night without any protection!
UNJ is correct and he is not correct... you can carry a handgun during archery season in Michigan but only if you have a CPL (CCW) and carry it concealed.  I always carry mine.
i thought you could carry it but it had to be visable when hunting?

Offline deerandyote

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Thanks TH and WTI.
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 08:45:27 PM »
I took this quote straight from the 09-10 digest,

"NOTE: It is unlawful to have any firearm in possession while hunting deer with a bow and arrow or crossbow."

so no although i would like to for squirrel hunting and coyote.
Learner by Trial And Error
Keep Calm and Chive On

Offline cuzsis

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
 They just changed it this year. You can now carry in WA state if you have a concealed carry permit.

About dang time too! Last thing you want is to be looking at a nice deer/elk that you got and find out that a bear or cougar would like it instead.

I would never go in our woods without a handgun if I had a CC. I don't at the moment, so I'm extra watchful when I'm out there.

Offline Blocko

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Hunt and Fish
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 03:32:08 PM »
Same here in Michigan, but if I remember right, in Colorado you can carry open while bowhunting.  I hear ya Russcat, here in Michigan it isn't a good thought to be hunting bear with a bow and trying to walk out at night without any protection!
UNJ is correct and he is not correct... you can carry a handgun during archery season in Michigan but only if you have a CPL (CCW) and carry it concealed.  I always carry mine.
I've been meaning to get my concealed permit, just for bowhunting.  The sightings of more and more wolves concerns me...walking in a scent free suit, possibly with deer scents, in the pitch dark...just a possible target for predators.  Just haven't had time to take the class...but I'll get to it.
BIG THANKS to all the Great Sponsors!!!!!

NRA member
2010 Talk Hunting Turkey Championship - 2nd place
President of Block Design & Construction Services, Inc.
Michigan Professional Engineer

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 08:20:01 PM »
Florida you can with your concealed carry dont leave home without it.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline fishstuffer

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »

You can in Michigan if you have a concealed weapons permit. I f you do not attempt to take game with it.

Offline Possum

Are you permitted to carry a sidearm while Bowhunting?
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 03:37:51 PM »
Not in Alabama...
It makes it bad on us Bow Hunter's here when it's still warm the Bad Snakes are out in force.
Had one Hunting Bud who had a Timber Rattle Snake try to climb the Ladder Stand he was sitting in last year...
He sot all his arrows in his quiver before the Snake made it to the 4th step.
It's a Law I don't agree with but I abide by it...

Possum %^$^
Freelance Outdoor Writer

Offline shortround

• Button Buck
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
In Wisconsin you can carry a handgun while archery hunting.  However, it must be visable not concealed.  Also, read your regs every year because there are new laws and new changes every year. 
ShortRoundOldGuy

Offline CarrieZ

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Have Blog, Will Travel
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »
In Wisconsin you can carry a handgun while archery hunting.  However, it must be visable not concealed.  Also, read your regs every year because there are new laws and new changes every year. 

I hunt alone 95% of the time and usually on public land.
During archery season, I am never without my handgun, visible on my belt.

Just in case I run into a bunch of guys who decide it might be more fun to hunt me than the current species!!

I am very glad we don't have the regulations some of these other states do!

~ Carrie

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 01:11:11 PM »
It is legal in Georgia if you have a consealed weapon permit in your possion while bow hunting.

This was recently changed within the past two years here in GA! 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 01:31:07 PM »
in NY I believe the only time you can carry a pistol is during the regular season with a bow....in bow or muzzleloading seasons you can't carry a pistol......it is controversial do to our carry permits and some of us carry them but if you use it and get caught your done...that includes finishing a deer off from a bow or muzzleload shot..its hard to conceal a 44 mag ;D I do have a conceal permit...some of us do and in last few years a lot of judges only allow show on the firearms for hunting...I was lucky to get mine years ago as a concealed weapon.....maybe somebody knows better than I but I still believe you are not suppose to even carry one unless its during the regular firearms season. @--0--0118
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 01:46:26 PM »
in NY I believe the only time you can carry a pistol is during the regular season with a bow....in bow or muzzleloading seasons you can't carry a pistol......it is controversial do to our carry permits and some of us carry them but if you use it and get caught your done...that includes finishing a deer off from a bow or muzzleload shot..its hard to conceal a 44 mag ;D I do have a conceal permit...some of us do and in last few years a lot of judges only allow show on the firearms for hunting...I was lucky to get mine years ago as a concealed weapon.....maybe somebody knows better than I but I still believe you are not suppose to even carry one unless its during the regular firearms season. @--0--0118

I was right and I just checked the regs you cannot carry any type of firearm when bowhunting during the bowhunting season
in NY
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
I'm sure it's the same in Md DPD I'll check but knowing my great state they are still behind the times @--0--0126
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad