New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Missouri's Spring 2009 Turkey Season Final Numbers...  (Read 682 times)

Offline Mo_Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Train Hard. Hunt Easy.
Missouri's Spring 2009 Turkey Season Final Numbers...
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, I just received this from the Missouri Dept. Of Conservation:

Missouri hunters check 41,830 turkeys
The harvest in the regular spring turkey season
was less than last year but more than predicted.

JEFFERSON CITY–5/12/2009 Hunters checked 8,738 turkeys May 4 through 10, bringing the total harvest for Missouri’s 21-day regular spring turkey season to 41,830, or 3.7 percent fewer than in 2008.
Top harvest counties for the three-week season were Franklin with 915, Texas with 839 and St. Clair with 678. Regional harvest totals were: Central, 6,311; Southwest, 6,129; Northwest, 5,820; Ozarks, 5,671; Northeast, 5,472; Kansas City, 4,801; Southeast, 4,197; and St. Louis, 3,430.
Hunters 15 and younger checked 2,883 turkeys during the youth spring turkey season April 4 and 5. This, brought the overall spring turkey harvest to 44,713. The record spring turkey harvest, including the youth and regular seasons, occurred in 2004, when hunters checked 60,744 turkeys.
The percentage of juvenile male turkeys, commonly called “jakes,” in this year’s harvest started out low on opening day, but by the end of the season it had increased to 22 percent. That is close to the average in the past 10 years.
Hunters killed more turkeys during the regular spring season than predicted by Missouri Department of Conservation Resource Scientist Tom Dailey. Before the season Dailey said he expected hunters to check approximately 40,000 turkeys.
Looking back on the season, he said one factor in the better-than-expected harvest was strong turkey populations in parts of central, northwest and southwest Missouri. Counties where the harvest during the regular spring turkey season increased by 50 or more included Oregon (79), Franklin (77), Holt (73), Andrew (70), Benton (66), Atchison (61), Camden (53) , and Greene and Jefferson (50).
 “Apparently we continue to have surprisingly strong turkey numbers in parts of northwest and southwest Missouri and some parts of the Ozarks,” said Dailey, who supervises Missouri’s wild-turkey management program. “Thirty or so counties posted larger harvests than last year, boosting the statewide harvest above my expectations. I had reports from a number of hunters Missouri who said they heard more gobbling than ever this year.”
Counties where hunters checked more than 500 turkeys included Benton, Bollinger, Callaway, Camden, Cedar, Dent, Douglas, Franklin, Gasconade, Greene, Howell, Jefferson, Johnson, Laclede, Macon, Maries, Miller, Osage, Pettis, Polk, St. Clair, Ste. Genevieve, Texas, Webster and Wright Counties.
“What’s striking about this is that only two of the counties where hunters shot 500 or more turkeys this year were north of the Missouri River,” said Dailey. “Five years ago, northern Missouri had 24 counties in the 500-or-better category. Three years ago, there were still 14. This dramatic drop reflects what people have been telling us for the past year or two. Where they used to see flocks of 150 turkeys in fields they might only be seeing 25 or 50 at a time, even less in some areas.”
Dailey said weather is far and away the most significant factor in the decline in turkey numbers. Last year’s record-breaking rainfall, a severe Easter freeze in 2007 and several cold, wet springs in the past five years have thwarted turkeys’ nesting efforts. Northern Missouri, which had the densest turkey populations, had most to lose.
Even though this year’s harvest is the smallest since 1997, Dailey said he was pleased the harvest was stronger than he expected.
“In spite of the fact that our turkey harvest is down substantially from a few years ago, Missouri still ranks among the top turkey hunting states in the nation,” said Dailey.
 He said with normal temperatures and rainfall from now through mid-summer, Missouri’s wild turkeys could recoup some of the losses they have suffered in the past five years.
“Turkeys have a remarkable ability to bounce back,” he said. “With hundreds of thousands of hens out there, if they just raised an average of two poults per year, it would only take two or three years for turkeys to bounce back.  That is the key to more turkeys. Reducing the season length or bag limit from two to one has much less of an effect on turkey abundance than does reproduction.”
Missouri’s spring turkey harvest has little effect on the population, since only male birds are taken. The fall season takes place before winter, when many young turkeys are lost to predators and severe weather.
The Conservation Department recorded four firearms-related turkey hunting incidents during the regular turkey season. One was fatal and involved a 56-year-old man pulling a loaded shotgun from his vehicle by the barrel. He was struck in the chest when the trigger caught on an object, causing the gun to discharge. The other three incidents involved shooters who either mistook victims for game or fired at movement.

Scott %^$^
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kids!

NRA Member
QDMA Member
DU Member
Eagle Scout
Adult Scout Leader and Parent

Offline ddejong

• Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: Missouri's Spring 2009 Turkey Season Final Numbers...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
Thanks for the data Scott - Talking to the guys I work with, I would have expected much lower numbers!!   --099-780

Offline western KY hunter

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
sounds like a pretty good harvest what was last years harvest and the best in the last 5 years ? can you post that scott.
MIKE'S MAGIC  PRO STAFF
OWNER and HEAD GUIDE FOR RIVER OAK OUTFITTER'S
HUNTED FOR 33 YEARS
FOUNDER OF WKHTM

Offline russcat

• 2015 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 14 Point
  • "behind every blade of grass"
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:14:44 PM »
Great info.  Thanks for sharing. 

It's unfortunate there were 4 shooting incidents.  I would like to see that number decline in every state.
Team Buck Dynasty
39 Years "Out There"

Where Jesus is, is Heaven
Where Jesus isn't, is He11.
               -Joshua Crutchield

Offline tncowboy

• 14 Point Droptine
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:26 AM »
Great info. thanks

Offline Mo_Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Train Hard. Hunt Easy.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
Great info.  Thanks for sharing. 

It's unfortunate there were 4 shooting incidents.  I would like to see that number decline in every state.

I believe that is much higher than the average. If I have time I'll see if I can find some data on it.

Scott %^$^

NRA Member
QDMA Member
DU Member
Eagle Scout

Offline Mo_Bowhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • Train Hard. Hunt Easy.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 12:21:53 PM »
sounds like a pretty good harvest what was last years harvest and the best in the last 5 years ? can you post that scott.

I'll have to see if I can find that...

Scott %^$^

NRA Member
QDMA Member
DU Member
Eagle Scout

fellis27

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 01:30:15 PM »
Thanks for the info one of those was mine.

Offline red28

• Apr/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • "AIM SMALL MISS SMALL"
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

Great info  and congrats on that one fellis!
Mossy Oak Pro-staff
NRA Life Member

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
Thanks for the info one of those was mine.
See there, it's just like " your vote counts "  I'ts in there, like Prego... --099-780
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
thats alot of dead turkeys
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline 192rich

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
 Good numbers I hope next year is better.

New Page 3

Google Ad