New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: decoy help  (Read 1785 times)

Offline mac0823

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
  • My little piece of heaven
Re: decoy help
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
I read (somewhere) that a hen will sit down prior to being mated.  I think I will try taking the stake out of a decoy and sitting it on the gorund this spring to see if it works.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
I use a hen a jake and 1 b-moble at about 15 yards . 
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Turkey_Addict

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 08:26:47 PM »
If I know there is a boss tom in the area I am hunting, I will put out a Pretty Boy decoy. If I am uncertain, I almost always put out a jake and feeding hen. I like to put the jake between me and the hen about 25 yards out from my set up.

From my experience, a tom will come straight to the jake..........mostly, lol

Offline dennis engeman

• Feb.11 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
I have a jake and 2 hens (blow up) and the most important thing I learned about set up is that if you aren't careful you can't carry enough patches to seal them back up(used to have 3 hens)

Offline Mack

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:23:12 PM »
I read (somewhere) that a hen will sit down prior to being mated.  I think I will try taking the stake out of a decoy and sitting it on the gorund this spring to see if it works.
Dave Smith decoys makes a submissive hen that you can put out with a regular hen......Not sure if you have seen a Dave Smith Turkey decoy (or goose) but they are the beat looking decoys out there.......Mack http://www.davesmithdecoys.com/index.htm

Offline mabuhr

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
I have tried many differant set ups, I have the best luck with one hen set up 15 yards out using a shot gun. good luck.    @--0--0109
NAHC life member

Offline quackhead4life

• 4 Point
  • my cousin and I on public ground
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 03:11:27 PM »
Ive used a jake strutter and two hens. but depends on the weather and time of spring. I think birds react different to decoys every week   
hunt hard be save and good luck

Offline kjb-4320

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
 @--0--0109 What i use is this, one standing hen, one feeding hen, and one jake. What i do is this i put the hens about 20 yards out and off to one side or the other, the jake is 15 yards straight out and facing me , it works for me
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline RADAR

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
I always put the Pretty Boy 25yards faceing me most of the time the tom will come to his head and circle it.
If Hunting is a sport does this make me an athlete?

2009-10 Deer Hunting Championship Winning Team Member
2010 Turkey Championship Winner

Offline kyhareraiser

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
 i use a jake  and two hens ..i put them about 25 yards in front of my setup with the jake facing me (cause the chalenging gobbler will meet the jake face to face )puts you in a good shooting range too,,and i put the hens kinda out to eack side ,kinda like a v formation = -
When the hammer drops............the bullcrap stops

New Page 3

Google Ad