New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Powder or Pellets?  (Read 4641 times)

Offline gator

• Spike
Re: Powder or Pellets?
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
I have used both, started w/ powder, but never really got the accuracy that I have achieved w/ the pellets. I have gotten many of my friends started on the pellets and it just seems to be a no brainer w/ todays modern inline muzzeloaders. I shoot a 50 cal. and always use 150 gr (3 50 gr pellets) w/ either 325 or 350 gr powerbelt bullets. Now w/ the BC scopes shooting 250 yards is no problem but
I would strongly recommend using a range finder when trying to shoot at these distances. The pellets do seem to burn cleaner and it
does make it quicker and easier for follow up shots. Another imp point is to ALWAYS! use 209 primers or larger musket caps when using pellets.
You can convert most guns to either,but preferably the 209 is your  best option. Whatever you choose to use you have to shoot alot and find the best combo of powder an bullet for each particular gun.

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline WNCDEERHUNTER

• Dec/10 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
I think it's pretty much a preference thing. The pellets would be much easier probably, but I use powder. I carry several speed loaders ready to go and have never had a problem reloading quickly! Just my preference!
U.S. Army - Veteran

N.C. Lifetime Sportsman

Offline psaling

• Fawn
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
Blackhorn 209 loose powder took my Encore 209x50 from 4 inch groups at 50 yards to 3 shots that can be covered with a quarter!  I tried 3 other kinds of powder & at least 10 different bullet combinations.  This stuff is awesome!!!

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2009, 09:08:32 PM »
pellets all the way for convience
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2009, 08:50:35 PM »
Triple 7 pellets have been great for me......real easy to use.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
I have a question.  I've heard that by using 3 pellets instead of 2 really doesn't make much of a difference.  It would seem that by the time that 3rd pellet is ignited, the bullet has already reached the end of the barrel.  A buddy of mine said he checked it with a chronograph and there was only a 50 fps difference so, why bother using 3 pellets?
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 07:39:24 PM »
I use two 50 grain pellets of Triple 7 because of convience and faster reloading if necessary.
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »
after reading all of the replies, I have not seen the reason that I use pellet instead of powder listed in any of the posts.  It must be that I am the oddball of the bunch, but sometimes I don't shoot my rifle when I am in the woods, so I simply unload it before I get to the house.  The pellets are easier to unload out of my CVA in-line.  Using powder would be much messier and I could easily spill the powder onto te ground. It may be a simple idea, but that is my reason for not using loose powder.
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
I'm no expert of muzzleloaders, but seems to me that most of the gun test I have read on ML, the authors seem to prefer loose powder over the pellets, as loose powder was more accurate in their tests.  I use Pyrodex, and I premeasure all my loads, to facilitate loading while hunting or target practicing.  I can see where pellets are easier to use, but they are much more expensive than loose powder.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Meathead87

• Fawn
  • 10pt From Gun season 08
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2009, 10:13:32 PM »
pellots, faster loading, easier to clean
Be safe, Be careful, and Happy Hunting!
Meathead87

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad