New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Powder or Pellets?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Northernsky

• 6 Point
Re: Powder or Pellets?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
I am with you ZOS, I really like the pellets for the easy quick loading but after testing, my encore is most accurate with 135 grains of powder than with pellets. I can not get to that pellets.
Northern Sky

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 07:35:37 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
I'm new to black powder hunting and currently shoot a T/C Triumph and I load with 2 pellets of 777 and 250 gr. bullets.  I have read so much about using 3 pellets (150 gr. powder) with the 250 gr. bullet for better accuracy.  However, I was told that there is very little difference in using 2 pellets than 3 pellets because by the time the 3rd pellet burns, the shot is already out of the barrel.  I'd like to hear some opinions on this, please.  Please e-mail me with your thoughts as, I don't want to "tie this board up" with my dumb question.   Thanks bunches!
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline wvwhitetail

• Chief of Security
  • Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
    • Wabash Valley Whitetail
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2009, 09:43:06 AM »
Never a dumb question. That is why we are here. That is why questions are asked. My answer to you is take the time shoot your gun often with the different loads and make the decision what works best for you. You might find with the three pellets it is harder for you to hold on target or the results don't change much and you would be wasting money with loading the third pellet. Let us know how it works out. Great Question.

Offline copnjax

• 10 Point
  • My 10 pt. / 240 lb. Buck
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:40 AM »
Thank you, wwwhitetail.....I thought of doing that.  I guess I was hoping for a short-cut, which is the wrong way to go, I know.  I just joined this talkhunting site and already am addicted to it!  After reading some of the posts, I'm giving some serious thought to buying a T/C Encore.  My hunting buddy has one and loves it so, I may just let my wife shoot my Triumph.  Either way, I'll do as you suggested and try 3 pellets to see if there is a difference.
Thanks again, sir.
Retired after 34 yrs. on Jacksonville (Fl.) Police Dept.  19 yrs. in patrol and last 15 yrs. in C.S.I.
Now I can hunt and go bass fishing anytime I want!  Started deer hunting in 2007 but, had many years as a teen hunting rabbits and squirrels.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2009, 02:44:10 AM »
Try 3 if you want but unless your shooting at 200 yards 2 are plenty , you have the same barrel as the Encore at 28" and T/C love ShockWaves , in fact they are built to shoot them . I have both the Encore and an Omega you should really like your T/C .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline ligpd

• 10 Point
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2009, 06:04:52 AM »
You may also want to try several differant bullet type and weights along with differant charges. Each gun will shoot a little differant even if they are the same make and models of gun. I shoot a T/C Encore and my best load is 120 grains of 777, loose powder, with a 250 gr. Barnes Expander, but I will also add that the T/C Shock Wave are very good to use also.

Offline bn2hunt

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
  • First Turkey
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »
I have tried both powder and pellets and for me the powder worked better.  My gun gets it best group at 95 grains and I can't get that with the pellets.  My dad uses the pellets in his gun and he gets real good results with it.  As far as a quick reload goes, I use speed loaders with my powder without any problems.
Born to hunt....

Forced to work
About 30 years hunting experience

Offline ke7cjw

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Are you part of the New Breed Nation?
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
I have tried pellets, powder and traditional black powder. Here in Idaho you can only use loose powder during the muzzle loader only seasons. Even though it is a lot more work to clean than the pyrodex or 777 to clean. I prefer Black Powder.
73's
ke7cjw
Life member of the NRA
Life member of the North American Fishing club

Offline dhandke128

• Fawn
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 06:33:37 AM »
Here in WA we have to use exposed ignition and open sights so for hunting I use my Hawkens -so loose 777. For just fun shooting I use 777 pellets in my T/C. IMO each gun has a 'sweet' load. Plus it is just fun to experamint.

Dan

Offline quigleysharps4570

• Spike
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2009, 12:35:22 PM »
Only loose blackpowder in mine. Cheaper, reliable, taylor fit a load to the rifle and cleans up easy.
If a person needs a quick second loading...I carry pre-measured glass vials in my bag during hunting season.

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
pellets all the way

Offline Bigbullets

• Fawn
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2009, 01:55:38 PM »
I prefer powder as you can use loads between 100 & 150 grains. I use 120 grains in my A & G in-line and TC Black Mountain Magnum. I don't find any reason to use more at the ranges I hunt. If I were expecting maximum range shots, I can always pump it up. With pellets, they are fast to load but, it is one extreme or the other in power.

I have been using Shockey Gold (American Alliance). I have tried black powder which, was a mess to clean up. I also tried Triple 7. It was better but, not as easy to deal with as the AA. In addition, you do not get the build up in the barrel which makes it more difficult to load.

Offline BoweryHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Spike
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:53 AM »
Triple 7 and TC Shockwave's --it is the most accurate in my TC Pro Hunter and Nikkon Omega scope and I don't spill any during a reload!--09--0
In life aim high, in hunting aim at the deer!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
DU Member
SCI Member
QDMA Member
Long Ridge Hunting Club
Oak Bowery Hunting CLub
USAR SSG - Desert Storm
32 years of Hunting Pleasure

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • one cold day
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »
powder for cap lock of flint and pellets for in-line easier and faster unless u preload with fast loads..I really like pellets
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BIG DADDY DAVE

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
i shoot pyrodex select powder and goex fff black powder, both shoot the same per volume.  never used pellets, i shoot 90 grains and didnt want tohave to use three 30 gr pellets you get 100 per pack so 33 shots its hard to pick the right combination of powder and bullet if you cant change the powder by 5 grains a time, with aquickload full of pre measured powder you can reload just as fast as pellets and can tailor the load for target hunting etc...
i like the versatility of the powder

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad