New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: .54 Cal muzzle loaders  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
    • http://www.kassnerlaw.com/
Re: .54 Cal muzzle loaders
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
Dixie Gun Works is a great store.  If you have the urge and the talent, you can get everything you need to build your own kit from them as well.  The store is fun to just wander in for a bit too.

Someday, I'd love to go there and just browse (take away my credit cards first, please!).  I know how it is, when I went to L.L. Beans in Maine, well....... mortgage payments went short for a while, just kidding, I kept up, but it could have happened.  Thank godness for on site outlet shops!
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and
Muzzleloading License Holder
NYS Tracking Dog License Holder

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 01:52:50 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
I picked up a TC New Englander in .54 cal a couple of years ago.  There were a bunch of balls and bullets included in the deal, but I have never shot it.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
MichiganLouie, piece of advice.  DON'T SHOOT IT!!! The obscuring smoke, excessive recoil and really, really big hole in the target is more addictive than any honest man should have to deal with.  Get to group therapy asap if this happens.  When you start asking why they put brass around the powder, call for professional help.
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 07:43:50 PM »
MichiganLouie, piece of advice.  DON'T SHOOT IT!!! The obscuring smoke, excessive recoil and really, really big hole in the target is more addictive than any honest man should have to deal with.  Get to group therapy asap if this happens.  When you start asking why they put brass around the powder, call for professional help.

Thanks for the advice, Jaeger, but I seem to be immune to the allure of a muzzleloader.  I actually have two BP rifles, the T/C in .54 cal, and a Traditions .50 Cal inline.  I have shot the Traditions a number of times, and after the smoke clears, and I'm cleaning the crud out of the rifle, I sometimes say to myself "Why did I have to take this gun out and shoot it?   the reason I haven't shot the .54 cal is that the bore is pretty rough, and I'm afraid of getting a ball hung up in it.  I made a big mistake when I bought it.  I never checked the bore, the seller talked like he really took care of it, and the outside of the rifle looked pretty good.  He even told me he had run a patch down the barrel a couple of days before.  Once I found out about the bore, I phoned him and asked him for a refund, and he refused to give me my money back.  I told him he was not a very ethical person.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »

Thanks for the advice, Jaeger, but I seem to be immune to the allure of a muzzleloader.  I actually have two BP rifles, the T/C in .54 cal, and a Traditions .50 Cal inline.  I have shot the Traditions a number of times, and after the smoke clears, and I'm cleaning the crud out of the rifle, I sometimes say to myself "Why did I have to take this gun out and shoot it?   the reason I haven't shot the .54 cal is that the bore is pretty rough, and I'm afraid of getting a ball hung up in it.  I made a big mistake when I bought it.  I never checked the bore, the seller talked like he really took care of it, and the outside of the rifle looked pretty good.  He even told me he had run a patch down the barrel a couple of days before.  Once I found out about the bore, I phoned him and asked him for a refund, and he refused to give me my money back.  I told him he was not a very ethical person.
Try using 777 in the in inline , shoots clean .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
[
Try using 777 in the in inline , shoots clean .
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.  Will look for some.
NRA Life Member.

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »
I would be very suprised if you could not find what you need for your .54 (balls, patches, bullets, jags, etc.) from Dixie Gun Works

http://www.dixiegun.com/

Excellent, huge and friendly.

Jaeger your right....dixie gun works has about anything you need...I can still get some .54 (if I had one)  at wally world here
I saw some the other day looking for .45 stuff @--0--0117
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline Jaeger

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »
MichiganLouie, piece of advice.  DON'T SHOOT IT!!! The obscuring smoke, excessive recoil and really, really big hole in the target is more addictive than any honest man should have to deal with.  Get to group therapy asap if this happens.  When you start asking why they put brass around the powder, call for professional help.

Thanks for the advice, Jaeger, but I seem to be immune to the allure of a muzzleloader.  I actually have two BP rifles, the T/C in .54 cal, and a Traditions .50 Cal inline.  I have shot the Traditions a number of times, and after the smoke clears, and I'm cleaning the crud out of the rifle, I sometimes say to myself "Why did I have to take this gun out and shoot it?   the reason I haven't shot the .54 cal is that the bore is pretty rough, and I'm afraid of getting a ball hung up in it.  I made a big mistake when I bought it.  I never checked the bore, the seller talked like he really took care of it, and the outside of the rifle looked pretty good.  He even told me he had run a patch down the barrel a couple of days before.  Once I found out about the bore, I phoned him and asked him for a refund, and he refused to give me my money back.  I told him he was not a very ethical person.

If you are still willing. go to the Dixie Gun Works site and buy buffalo ball-ets.  They are short conicals that mimic patch and ball and can be shot in a rough bore with reasonable accuracy out to 75 yds or so.

I'll get you addicted yet!!!!!

Hunh, on retrospect this "I'll get you addicted yet!!!!!" didnt come out right, but you get my drift.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:07:07 PM by Jaeger »
NRA Life Member
NYS Lifetime Sportsman,
Trapping, Bowhunting and

Offline shortround

• Button Buck
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:03 PM »
I was going to ask a very similar question.  I haven't shot black powder for about 35 years.  Now that I see the DNR in Wisconsin is trying to get more muzzle loader seasons for deer I'm going to get back to it.  I'm more of a stick and string guy but you can't fight progress and the DNR is going to get their way I am sure.  OK, back to the problem at hand.  I have a 54 and I would like to get all the hot sabot bullets and wafer style propellent etc but it seems everything is centered around 50 cal.  I was thinking ( I don't do it often ), maybe I could use the 50 cal. wafer type propellent.  I've never seen it used, but if you ram it home under the bullet - would it flatten out and fill the chamber area and not be an issue?  Could a person add something to the outside diameter of the 50 cal sabot bullets to make them fit the 54 bore tightly?  I'm going to explore the sights that were suggested and see if I can find 54 cal. stuff but I thought I'd mention my thoughts and see if there are any comments.  I hope you don't mind I kinda piggybacked on your question.  Good luck with your 54!     
ShortRoundOldGuy

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
I was going to ask a very similar question.  I haven't shot black powder for about 35 years.  Now that I see the DNR in Wisconsin is trying to get more muzzle loader seasons for deer I'm going to get back to it.  I'm more of a stick and string guy but you can't fight progress and the DNR is going to get their way I am sure.  OK, back to the problem at hand.  I have a 54 and I would like to get all the hot sabot bullets and wafer style propellent etc but it seems everything is centered around 50 cal.  I was thinking ( I don't do it often ), maybe I could use the 50 cal. wafer type propellent.  I've never seen it used, but if you ram it home under the bullet - would it flatten out and fill the chamber area and not be an issue?  Could a person add something to the outside diameter of the 50 cal sabot bullets to make them fit the 54 bore tightly?  I'm going to explore the sights that were suggested and see if I can find 54 cal. stuff but I thought I'd mention my thoughts and see if there are any comments.  I hope you don't mind I kinda piggybacked on your question.  Good luck with your 54!    

I finally got around to shooting my .54  Everything worked out fine.  I was very leery of getting a ball hung up in the bore.  I decided to use the 435 gr. Maxi-Hunter bullets that were included with the gun.  I'm using Pyrodex, the equivalent volume of 100 grs of black powder.  (Max is 120 grs)  I cleaned the bore very throughly and greased up well before loading the bullet, and had no problems pushing it all the way down.  Recoil is minimal.  Now, if I can get a buck to stand still in front of me, I'll have some fresh venison.

To answer your question about using the .50 cal pellets in a .54 bore.  I wouldn't use any pellets at all.  I would use loose powder.  Although the pellets are more convenient, they are much more expensive than loose powder.  Also, most BP gun reports I have read, the writers invariably state that they were able to get tighter groups when using loose powder.  You can still use the .54 cal sabots with the right size bullet, but you'll have to experiment to see which one your rifle likes better.  One advantage is that you could use more aerodynamically shaped bullets as opposed to one with a large frontal area, like the Maxi-hunter.
NRA Life Member.

Offline AaronS

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • Prepper Community
  • 12 Point
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2009, 08:18:23 AM »
Another thing about using pellets....they usually require a charge hotter than a #11 percussion cap to ignite dependably, which is why most new inlines now use the 209 shotgun primer.  Definitely stay with loose powder in a sidelock using #11's.
If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
1 cross + 3 nails = 4given

NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
QDMA Member

www.santapawspetpark.com

Offline shortround

• Button Buck
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I feel somewhat encouraged.  Now it's time to go shopping!  Wouldn't my wife like to hear those words!
ShortRoundOldGuy

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 06:31:47 AM »
I don't have problems with the stuff. Cast my own roundballs and get the patch material at Wal-Mart and there are a variety of places to order anything else you may need.

Are you casting .530 diameter balls? What patch thickness are you using?  I have been shooting Maxi-hunters, but I also would like to try round balls.  I have a box of 100, but not sure what patch thickness to use.  My bore is kinda rough, and I'm afraid to get a ball hung up.  With Maxi-hunters, you don't need a patch.
NRA Life Member.

Offline mebyrne57

• Fawn
    • Mark Byrne, Artist
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 03:38:01 PM »
Wow! I started this thread a long time ago and am thrilled that we have been able to share so much information and thoughts.  If you get the time please check out this site: www.huntingandfishingnw.com
It is about and written by folks who live and play in the Northwest, AK. OR. WA. ID MT. and WY. Oh and the photography is pretty good.
Maybe there will be a muzzle loading section soon with your input. Also there is a good trophy gallery page (needs more hunting shots)! Send in your hunting trophy shots.
 -0078 %^$^ --09--0
Iím the NRA & B.A.S.S. and I VOTE! Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Tacoma Sportsmen's Club, Tacoma, WA. Petal Bass Club, Hattiesburg, MS. Washington Pond Jumperz (BASS Club), Webmaster, Mississippi BASS Federation Nation & WA. BASS, past President, VP & current Conservation Director

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad