New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: What does it really take to start reloading.  (Read 1878 times)

Offline jimgiven

• 2010 Nov Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: What does it really take to start reloading.
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 09:32:36 AM »
You know....reloading is it's own hobby....once you start look out.  All you need is a little attention to detail.  You will find that as you load, you will shoot more.  If you are shooting over 500-1000 shots a month, you will recoup the cost of your set up very fast.

Have fun.

Jim
Take your kids hunting before you have to hunt for you kids!!!

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »
That is what IMm afraid of between food plots property care deer hunting turkey hunting fishing ball practice with kids, animals, horses cows dogs cats, etc.  occasionally talking to wife and the list of honey doos that stretches till next decade at least, my Wife wants to argue I dont have time for another Hobby, she can be so unreasonable. @--0--0105
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline jimgiven

• 2010 Nov Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 02:07:40 PM »
I hear ya....I do most of mine during the winter....you are usually indoors more and can crank out a ton during Jan and Feb.  Tho now with the prices..may be worth it all year round.

BTW...not sure your wife should be too worried...not like you have anything else you are doing

Jim
Take your kids hunting before you have to hunt for you kids!!!

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Thats what Im saying, I love talk hunting yall see life so clearly. ;D
CMH

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »
Well guys I kept looking and looking and reading about  reloading getting more frustrated and finally decided to do something about it. I linked to the NRA site that Jim mentioned and found a class near me and signed up to take a reloading class at the end of this month. I think that will solve my questions about do I really want to get into this, the class is supposed to be mainly hands on so I will get to see it done and do it which is the best way for me to make a decision. The input and Links(thanks Jim) have been invaluable in helping me make a decision.
CMH

Up North Journal

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 03:14:46 PM »
Let us know how the classes go, you could teach us all something we might have missed!  I'm still learning myself.

Offline horseshoer

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
 Reloading is each person's preference. The ultimate goal for me is to be able to produce a cartridge, that is extremely accurate, and that I know is capable of bringing down big game with one shot. It is a self rewarding hobby. Not to mention, if you control your shooting, it is cheaper. I don't think you will be sorry for starting up. Good luck.
Hunt hard, teach a kid to hunt, enjoy life.

Offline OLD FLORIDA GATOR

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • OLD FLORIDA GATOR
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
I TAKES TIME, PATIENCE, USE A GOOD SCALE, DO NOT GO OVER RECOMMEDED LOADS, READ RELOADIND SPEC CAEREFULLY. KEEP TRACK OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING. AND HOPE RELOADING SUPPLIES WON'T BE GONE.  GOD BLESS THE USA.  KEEP US FREE. 
QDMA, NRA, LIFE LONG DEER HUNTER, OLD DOG HUNTER.UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA ALUMNI.
DEER MANAGER   QDMA DEER STEWARD 1

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
The best way is to get another active reloader to take you under his wing and show you step by step.  Once you learn about the equipment, buy used if you can.  eBay can be a good source.  Sometimes garage sales are good, but very far and few between.  I picked up an old Mec 600 jr for $5. once, put $30-$35 into it, reloaded about 150 shells, then sold it for $75.  They run $120-$140 new.  Another time, I got a Midway tumbler in real good shape for $25.  I purchased a set of 7mm mag dies from eBay for $7. plus shipping.  One word of caution about eBay.  Patience.  You have to have patience.  You take your time, don't get antsy, and eventually you'll get what you want for a very reasonable price, watch the shipping charges.  Sometimes, the seller makes up the difference there.

Is reloading difficult?  Not really.  Metallic cartridges are more time consuming, plus you're dealing with higher pressures.  Shotshells are a lot easier, especially if you only load lead shot.  I actually had my daughter reloading 12 ga shells when she was 4 yrs old.  Of course, she could only do it with me present, and she had to have help depriming the shells.  Other than that, she did everything else.  After a while she lost interest, at least her curiosity was satisfied.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline kb5szo

• Fawn
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »
I started out with a LEE Loader-- small box with dies and a scoop for the powder - used a plastic mallot to provide power -- killed a many deer with this $20 SET UP
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:52:52 AM by kb5szo »

Offline wolfie1

• 4 Point
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:13 PM »
BRAVO kb5szo,
after reading the original question and seeing the responses, I was about to tout the LEE Loader but you beat me to it.
The first thing I would say would be, get a GOOD relading manual, a LEE Loader (of the correct size), a good scale, and the corrct powder and bullets.  My first one hundred bullets cost me about $100 total including the cost of the loader, scale and manual.  Oh yes, I forgot the mallet...lol.

I have loaded over 200 rounds for my .303 british.  The only thing to remember about using the LEE Loaer is that you are only neck sizing the brass, so use these reloads in the same gun that the brass was originally shot from.  Ths brass will be "fire-formed" for that particular gun.

As far as room, I load my bullets on my kitchen table.  I store all of my reloading supllies in a tote inside a fire proof box.  It not all that hard to reload as long as you use the acronym KISS...Keep It Simple, Silly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:13:40 PM by wolfie1 »
The Difference Between Democracy and Liberty:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.___Ben Franklin

The nine most dangerous words in the english language..."I'm from the gov't and I want to help"

New Page 3

Google Ad