talkhuntin.com
Thank you for visiting the TalkHunting Community. We encourage you to register and jump right in. Since membership is free, what do you have to lose? This is a place to learn, have fun, share your experiences and express ideas. As a member, you can add your own comments and topics, participate in the promotions and really enjoy all that TalkHunting has to offer.

Don
Bass Pro Shops

Author Topic: Hunting over bait in Alabama  (Read 10418 times)

Offline jbar

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Hunting over bait in Alabama
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
I live in La. and have a place in Miss. In La. it is legal to bait and I don't see the great mass of deer running to the feeders. In Miss. the law is really confussing. It is illegal the bait deer but it is legal to feed wildlife --099-780. Here's the way the law reads. There are certain months you can feed only corn, some months you can feed only deer pellets and some months you can use a combo of the two. The feeder can not be seen from a stand and it has to be at least 100 yds. from any stand. A broadcast type of feeder has to be used so there are no piles of feed on the ground.  I like the idea of feeding pellets for the protien provided, Corn provides nothing for the deer except it taste good. I feel at the cost of corn or pellets the money could be better spent on year round food plots and habitat improvements. 
A BAD DAY HUNTING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
STARTED HUNTING IN 1962
47 YRS AND STILL COUNTING

Offline SRHunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 6 Point
    • Scotland Ridge Hunting Club
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
I agree you do get better pics preseason with bait in front of the camera, but when are the pics taken.  I am sure most of them are at night, right?  I have mived feelings on baiting.  You have a hundred different pros and cons.
When I die bury me where I can hear the turkeys gobble in the Spring time.

Offline old jarhead

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »
Where I hunt we'll usually put out some soybean and corn mix during the off season. Then plant peas soybeans and corn in the spring.In the fall plant peas turnips ,clover and a few other mixs .By the time the season gets here you shouldn't need any bait . There will be so much natural food plus acorns ,the deer arn't going to hit the bait that much anyway.
50 Yrs. Hunting  
Sgt. USMC 68-73 Explosives & Boobytrap Isrt. 
1 st Marine Div.
Proud father of a US Marine
Member  NRA
Member of Fayetteville Sportsmans Hunting club
Never to old to learn from young or old

Offline Professor T

• Fawn
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
I live and hunt in Louisiana.  Baiting is allowed here but I didn't do it at first.  The neighboring land put out corn all season long.  I saw very few deer.  I started baiting about 5 years ago and deer sightings improved many times over.  I don't shoot everything that walks by and see very few large bucks near the bait but I have learned how to use it to my advantage.  Most of my baiting envolves trai cameras so that I can see what I have in my area.  I do this year round but don't put out more food than can be eaten in a short time by the deer.  Other deer will come for several days after the food is gone because the smell is still there or they are just used to the baiting location and came to late for the corn.

I have never had molded corn on the ground because I don't feed very much.  Rice bran is a different story becasue if it rains and the deer are not using it strongly it has happened.  Deer will have periods where they won't feed on the rice bran but unless the acorns are dropping corn is like candy to them.  When the acorns drop I have had deer walk across the bait without giving it a second look.

To much baiting with enough for them to satisfy their hunger will turn them nocturnal.  However giving them enough corn so that 1 deer can clean it up in twenty minutes  will improve deer sightings.  Don't get your hopes up though, the big ones won't normally come until after dark.  Knowing where he is coming to can make all the difference though.
It's not about the kill
It's about the experience

Offline jd3006

• Spike
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »
It's kind of like gambling in Alabama, it's illegal but it goes on all the time. I've killed several deer and turkeys on my property that were full of corn. I guess my neighbors didn't read the rules but also they didn't kill those critters that they fed, I did.

Offline ebabin4

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 02:39:58 PM »
I hunt in alabama, and I think it should be legal. I live in louisiana and it is legal here. We do not hunt over bait in al., but we do put some out during the offseason when we get a chance, just to help with horn devolpment. I am all for legalizing BUT regulating it. I mean for instance, the way the law is now, you cannot put out corn, but you can hunt a planted corn feild, after it has been knocked down, go figure. Our old lease used to be all planted feilds we leased from a sharecropper, now we have property owned by the paper company, two totally different types of hunting.
"Take a kid hunting and fishing..........
He won't grow up stealing and dealing"

19 years hunting experience

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 08:57:26 AM »
Here in VA we can "supplementally feed" our deer from the last day of deer season until 1 month prior to bow season. any "supplemental feed or minerals" must be removed 1 month prior to bow season. to be honest about the only advantage I have seen is that if there is a feedpile out the deer tend to mill around a bit more infront of my game cameras, but I still see the same deer wether there is feed out for them or not.

On the same note I have seen video footage from texas of 50 deer standing around a feeder waiting for it to activate. I guess it depends on your conditions...but in my state I really see no need to legalise baiting. especially since as of last year it is illegal to feed deer from sept to jan regardless of if it is for hunting purposes or not!

Plant a food plot and feed em year round...if you plant it they will come!
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 09:08:09 AM »
Well you raise a good point......but NO thanks on my end. I like the whole fair chase thing. I hate to see them hunting shows with the deer pecking the ground like chickens.Nothing toward you but any one can kill a big buck over fresh corn scattered on the crown or some sort of grain. I do use this in the off season for my cameras but once season gets close it is gone. But that is just me I am sure everyone has different ideas.
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline Backdraft94

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
  • The future of hunting
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:26 AM »
To each his own, said the old man as he kissed the cow!!!  --099-780 --099-780 or baited the bambi!
Tanner Ridge Hunt Club
"When the tailgate drops, The playin stops!!!!"
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Lousy Hunter!!!!
Member of 4 BigBucks
2nd place 2010 TH Deer Championship

Offline BOGO

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 14 Point Double Droptine
  • Is Ready for Turkey Season!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
Baiting in Alabama is not going to necessarily help in seeing big bucks. Changing the harvest rules will. I am in Alabama, I don't hunt over bait even in states where it is legal with two exceptions: hogs and black bears where it is legal. We have feeders that we use off season and broadcast corn at cameras for preseason scouting only.

Now this is the perfect way to look at ALABAMA hunting...... Harvest rules on bucks!!!! I could not agree more
Its not always about the Harvest.Its about all the events & memories the Good Lord Blessed you with during the Hunt.Those are the Real Trophys!Remember to Love this land & Pass It on(25years experience of chasin Beards & Bucks)
*Pro Staff for Straight Creek Calls

Offline cowmanhunter

• Sept/11 Prize Winner
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
I have always killed more deer coming and going from a food source, ie feeder or food plot than at the actual source so whatever is legal I dont really think it matters as far as baiting, feeding goes.
CMH
32 years hunting experiece and learning daily.
If Your Gonna Be Stupid You Gotta Be Tough.
If you find yourself in a hole, The first thing you do is stop digging.
Phill. 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say rejoice!

Offline Hunt Master

• 2014 Turkey Champion
  • Administrator
  • 16 Point
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
Here is my 2 cents to argue over... I am against baiting in Alabama and believe we should have tougher punishments against it. Here is why...

1 - People believe baiting will help deer nutrition - False
90% of people that do bait or will bait will opt for the cheapest bait - Corn. Corn has absolutley no nutritional value and does nothing for horns, weight or health. Its just candy.

2 - People believe baiting will draw deer to the bait because it does so now with their cameras - False
Illegal or off season baiting draws deer to it because most people dont bait so the "Candy" spots are limited. Once everyone is baiting and the "Candy" spots are everywhere, your candy pile will not be so important.

3 - People believe that bait will draw in the bigger bucks - False
Most people who use bait in front of their trail cams are still getting the pics of the big bucks mostly at night. Big bucks dont get stupid just because bait is around. Especially if it is everywhere.

4 - People who want to bait do not understand the expense - True
Once baiting is legal and everyone is doing it, how will you compete with the big money clubs that will now invest thousands of dollars a year to keep corn spread out all over their property? Once this is legalized, you will almost have to buy tremendous amounts of bait just to keep deer ON your propery.

5 - People think deer will move more thus be seen more. - False
Once baiting has had a few years to get established, you will see fewer deer. Right now, a deer must move around a lot to find browse. This gives you a chance to see them. Once they can make a few stops somewhere at night and eat their entire days worth of food in one sitting, you will start seeing deer lay up all day and feed for hours at a time at night.

There are many more cons than pros but I am tired of typing. Baiting in Alabama is a bad idea but I do uinderstand the motive behind it. So many of us in this area are hunting pine plantations that offer very little for the deer to eat and figgure baiting would help. it wont. It will only help your neighbor pull your deer to his property more easily if he is willing to spend more on bait than you. With lease prices the way they are here now, who can afford to add a few thousand dollars of bait to the bill?

I say keep it illegal and punish the violaters with HEAVY jail time, not fines. Rich people can pay fines and make it worthwhile to continue...
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

Offline gator

• Spike
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
Hey Birdman, Aint nothing wrong w/ baiting as long as it is legal. What is the difference in hunting over an entire cornfield vs a small pile of corn. Also is a food plot really any different? corn, wheat, oats, clover ,rape, turnips,ect... just because there planted vs dumped on to the ground does it really make much difference? It is still baiting. So if its legal do it.  -0078

Offline Nock1

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 12 Point
    • Ladies in Camo
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
Well put HM. I have to agree with you. Even if it were legal in Alabama I still wouldn't do it. I can only imagine the "accomplishment" one feels when they remark of a nice mount on the wall "He came into the corn pile and I shot him!" Now that is really hunting, isn't it?  @--0--0127 I would not be proud of that. I would however be proud of telling someone how I scouted the area, patterned the deer and harvested the buck fair game. Now, that in my book, is an accomplishment and a challenge. But like it has been said before on this thread....to each their own.
Owner of Ladies in Camo, LLC
www.LadiesinCamo.com
Shenanigans From the Field  www.njadams1.wordpress.com
Elite ProStaff Strut & Rut Energy Shot
Silver Shooter for Doinker
Strother Archery
~Hunt hard, harvest ethically, and may your drag be short.~

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
Well if you think about it when ever we hunt over a food plot or oak tree or persimmon tree we are hunting over bait. I know alot of guys that hunt over corn. I don't myself nor do I hunt over food plots. I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting over food plots. I'd just rather scout and find the best place to hunt without me having to spend the $$$ involved in food plots. And when I decide to take a deer, be it doe or buck I take it because I want to take it not because I feel pressured to or feel pressured to wait for a huge buck. They might as well legalize it. Food plots and corn are the same thing to me.
Proverbs 3:5,6

New Page 3

Fall Hunting Classic Online at Basspro.com