New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Contender Pistol  (Read 151 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Contender Pistol
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:13:40 AM »
Looking for some advice here from the Contender pistol fans.  Can't recall if I've posted before on this or not, but last year I picked up my first Contender frame, a G2 from Haus of Arms with a trigger job and Bellm pin.  It came with the black (rubber?) grip and forearm.  I picked up a 10" .44 mag barrel in a Gunbroker auction.  It is a genuine TC barrel, doesn't look like it's seen much use.  Iron sights (getting to be a problem for these eyes).  I've shot all sorts of different loads through this thing, handloads and factory, and have had a devil of a time getting consistent results.  As I dug in deeper, I see that the chamber on that barrel is insanely deep for a .44 mag.  It's actually so deep that I believe it will chamber a .445 Supermag cartridge (3/8" longer than a .44 mag).  I've found that a 300 grain XTP bullet is long enough that the bullet is just coming into the lead chamfer of the rifling as the back end leaves the case mouth.  It isn't possible obviously to build a round that long in a .44 mag case, but I went ahead and build some up with the 300 gr XTP (previously had been using 200 - 250 grain pills loaded to normal .44 mag COL) and set them so the crimp was in the second cannelure, or about .15" longer than a typical .44 mag COL.  In doing this I interpolated load data for both the .44 mag and .445 Supermag to bump up the powder charge slightly and stay within pressure limits.  I did a quick check the other day with three rounds, and they're very consistent with no signs of excessive pressure and chrony results that were as expected for that powder charge and bullet combo.  Loaded up 10 more and hope to sit down with them when the weather clears to get it zeroed and hopefully confirm that this is the improvement I am looking for.

Have any of you guys seen Contender barrels like this with such ridiculously deep chambers?  Unfortunately the guy I bought it from got it from an estate with zero history.  It very well may have been rechambered to .445 Supermag but there are no external markings to indicate that.  I may go ahead and pick up some Supermag brass and load a few rounds for it, from the reading I've done the G2 frame is good for it staying within book limits of course.  The recent test rounds aren't bad at all on recoil (only 1080 fps) but some of my other handloads are brutal to shoot, even though they're within book limits for both revolver and Contender pistol per my Hornady book. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Contender Pistol
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:13:40 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Contender Pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »
There is a T/C Shooters / group on facebook that may be able to answer your question . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:03:44 AM »
Yeah, I'm actually on several of those groups on MeWe Sundowner - - nobody has had anything conclusive, but general support for the direction I'm heading.  I'm hoping Dutch chimes in on this, the project has got me thinking about bullet jump.  My general approach has been to minimize jump to the rifling on the rifles I load for, but I've been thinking about that purely from the perspective of the bullet as seated.  Is it possible that the jump isn't all that critical as long as the bullet engages the rifling before the back end comes out of the case?  That's kind of where I'm at with this Contender right now.  Maybe it's such that I'm seeing good gains with a relatively slow velocity and it becomes more critical at higher velocities that I get out of my rifles?  Just don't know, but at least glad to have this thing shooting better.
and enjoy it!

Online MI_Bowhunter

• Frito Bandito
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
I have not noticed that with my contender but i will have to check the .44mag now to see.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:06:19 PM »
i have a older contender so no help here
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:07 AM »
Have you tried sending BO or Dutch a PM? I'm not sure if BO gave up on us or not, haven't seen him on here in a long while.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 11:22:03 AM »
I have not Gutshot, but may give that a try.  Seems like I PM'd Bo many months ago to see if I could get his contact info but never saw a response.  I know Dutch is also on FB so I can take a crack at him from two directions.
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »
I have not Gutshot, but may give that a try.  Seems like I PM'd Bo many months ago to see if I could get his contact info but never saw a response.  I know Dutch is also on FB so I can take a crack at him from two directions.

i have dutch's phone number if you want it

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 01:27:34 PM »

i have dutch's phone number if you want it
Dave - if you think he'd be OK with you sharing it, message it to me.  Thanks!
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
i will ask him and get back to you

dave 1211

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:29:15 AM »
First: I don't mind if anyone PM's my number to any TH member. I have set up my phone to restrict unwanted calls. Send a text first and I'll return the call. However I have very little service in the house so I'll have to go outside or wait until I have enough service.

Second: I have not even been able to get Bo to answer his phone or return my calls. I'm a little concerned. I'll give split toe a call later today to find out.
Third: I've had no personnel experience with TC's. But it sounds like your on the right track Mag. Just watch for pressure signs.

Fourth: It's feels soooo good being on TH

Fifth: Hey GUT  :P  --099-780  @--0--0105

Sixth: Hey dave~~~~~~~~~~ @--0--0102  @--0--0123  @--0--0105
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
Hey Dutch - great to hear from you and thanks for the feedback.  Please let us know if you hear anything from Bo.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 08:32:17 PM »
I sent Bo a pm a while back and got no reply. I do have his snail mail address, so maybe I'll send him a postcard.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
First: I don't mind if anyone PM's my number to any TH member. I have set up my phone to restrict unwanted calls. Send a text first and I'll return the call. However I have very little service in the house so I'll have to go outside or wait until I have enough service.

Second: I have not even been able to get Bo to answer his phone or return my calls. I'm a little concerned. I'll give split toe a call later today to find out.
Third: I've had no personnel experience with TC's. But it sounds like your on the right track Mag. Just watch for pressure signs.

Fourth: It's feels soooo good being on TH

Fifth: Hey GUT  :P  --099-780  @--0--0105

Sixth: Hey dave~~~~~~~~~~ @--0--0102  @--0--0123  @--0--0105

Seventh: Hey Dutch  @--0--0133  --09--0
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 03:01:53 PM »
Hi Mad hope all is well.  Have you tried to contact TC directly.  I know (from talking to Bo) various manufactures have great customer service.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad