New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Buck Down!  (Read 72 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Buck Down!
« on: September 13, 2020, 08:47:49 AM »
I have a Facebook page entitled Reflections in God's Great Outdoors that I use to publicize my devotional books and share hunting stories with many people not hunters. I am sharing this as I wrote it there!

Archery Season 2020 - Opening Day

The following pictures tell the story but not the whole story.On opening morning I had two bucks come in right before daylight. Several minutes later it is was light enough to shoot but the one buck was smaller and the other deer i could tell had antlers. But he had on his dark grey winter coat and I could not pick a spot with the crosshairs on my scope. The little black lines just blended in with his dark coat so I had to pass on the shot and he walked away shortly after. Through out the remainder of the morning I saw five turkeys, a red fox and a doe with her two small young ones. Not a bad morning in the woods!
For the afternoon hunt I was in my stand at 1:20 PM and didn't see a deer until around 7:10 PM. This time of the year the deer abandon their daylight trips for movement right before dark or right at sunrise. Suddenly a deer appeared through the brush and it was a buck! As it came in and began to feed, I couldn't tell exactly what the rack looked like as he was feeding facing away from me. He seemed really nervous about what was out ahead of him and kept bringing his head up quickly frequently looking some something he didn't like.
Once he turned broadside for a minute I could see he was a nice buck but he suddenly began to feed looking in the other direction not offering a shot and then walked away. In the meantime the five turkeys came walking through as well as a doe and her young ones. As they were feeding, I took a moment to look around and there was a deer bedded down not more than 10 yards from my stand! As I watched, it was the same buck and began to rub his antlers on some trees to scrape off his velvet. At the same time I heard a large buck rubbing his antlers on a tree not far away. Now the question, should I wait and see if the bigger buck come in? I said to myself, if that buck that is near my stand comes in and offers me a shot, I will take him. He is a nice buck and I would not mind dragging him to the skinning shed! Well, he came in and offered a nice broadside shot and I took it! He was found not more than 50-60 yards away.I see backstraps, tenderloins and deer bologna in my future!
I am so humbled to be allowed to hunt on this private land and for God giving me this opportunity! He is so good to me and I am so undeserving of all He has done for me. Not just in the woods, but in my entire life. His grace and mercy is overwhelming! How could we not live for Him?
I am still trying to process everything that happened in the woods yesterday! My day started at 3:15 AM when the alarm went off and ended around 11:30 last night. My adrenaline is still rushing through me! Above it all, I am thankful to the Lord for the passion to hunt and the blessings He allows me to experience in the woods! All glory and praise to Him!

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Buck Down!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
What an awesome day you had in the great outdoors. I know you have been watching this deer for some time now, I'm glad all the pieces of the puzzle came together for you. You have been blessed with a great property to hunt. Good Luck with the rest of the season. The pressure is off now, enjoy.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »
What a great story of a great day in the woods!  I normally would be on the way to church at this time for Sunday School. SS had to be cancelled because the pump on the well went out, only worship service at 10:30 with no water.
I agree with with you completely concerning God's graciousness to us, even in our outdoor activities!
God bless you as you continue to honor Him.
Treefarmer

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Congrats!
Great Buck and Story!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
Congrats on the buck and a great story of the hunt .  ##$%#116 %^$^
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
congrats on a great opener buck! nice way to start the seaason
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »
Wow - great stuff BC!  Yes, lots to be thankful for.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad