New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 8-18  (Read 159 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 8-18
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:46:23 AM »
My goals today were simple, take the Mossberg Patriots to the range and check them out. Next was to find out what ammo does my Savage model 220 the 20 gauge slug rifle like the best and the third and forth things to accomplished was to finish walking in the 243 Win in the Remington Varmint and to Get the CVA Accura on paper...Accomplish all of them but the last one, The CVA Accura 2 is on a 24x24 target at 50 yards, sort of....have fired 5 shots since I had cleaned it and I figured it was time to clean it again before finishing the task...but first things first....

Both Patriots did well....The 6.5 PRC using 147 gn factory ammo (do not have enough brass to start to load it but am getting there quickly) was amazing, it shot the best group of the day....see targets...the Patriot in the 308 shot OK but still am to look for the right load for it....it could have been me who knows.

The Ammo for the Savage Slug gun (see another post in this section) model 220 is obvious, it does like the 3" shells so I have about 40 2.75 Hornady SST slugs that will go into the slug pile...LOL...can shoot either slugs either the Expanders or the Accutips both are deadly....

The other task I want to accomplish is getting the old Remington Varmint 243 finished. If you remembered the last time I took it to the range, I wanted to walk it in, but ran out of ammo for it...After getting the 243 home and look at the target and made some adjustments to it based on the target I had in front of me.....fast forward to 8-18, the adjustments I had made after I had gotten home were very close to the center. The plain target (#34) was at 50 yards and target #35 was at 100 yards...just made one adjustment at 100 yards and I am ready to go....

The day was a very nice day, it was 82 to 83 degrees, the humidity was 65% and the BP was holding steady at 30.21 Hg, the wind was in my face most of the time between 5 and 10 mph...the mirage was medium at 100 yards....even though was there by myself all in all it was a nice day....great to shoot.....

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:44:44 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 8-18
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:46:23 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 8-18
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:44:24 AM »
I was looking at the loads for the 243 Remington Varmint...I still use the same 100 gn Sierra bullet, just switched powders, went with RL22 this time instead of Varget....humm...what do you guys think?
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
can't complain about your groups! looks good
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »
Yari - Have never had factory ammo so accurate before...and as far as the 243, this load is a new load to me....check the Sierra manual along with the other manuals and did some quick calculations to come up with the load....normally this rifle like the 70 gn bullets and will shot those lights out...so not the experiment now is to try and find a accurate load for it so i can take it hunting....

Have 4 - 243 and 1 - 250 Savage that like this load.....both of these rifle (243 and 250) are Ruger M77 International Style....both are short and sweet.....and accurate....both shoot the 100 gn Sierra Game King dime groups....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 05:48:08 PM »
what factory ammo did you use for the 243?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »
Yari - the only factory rounds were from the 6.5 PRC becuase at the time you cannot buy any components just the ammo for it.....the 243 Win was a hand load 41.25 gns of RL22, in Lapua brass, using CCI-BR2 pimers it was a experimental hand load that may turn into a permanent load for the 243 !!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad