New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Quick Load Software and Chronographs  (Read 178 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Quick Load Software and Chronographs
« on: August 14, 2020, 07:10:00 AM »
Does anybody here use Quick Load for a means of predicting what their loads will do?? Attached is my standard 308 Load....

This is the time of year where I break out the LabRadar and the other Chronographs and will compare the LabRadar Data against the Quick Load Data that is built into the software...by far this is the most comprehensive software that I have been using for over 10 years now....It is a good eye opener and it will give you an estimated muzzle velocity base of the amount and type of power use....You got to give it a bit of time for you to understand what you are looking at....but once you do, then you will see it as a valuable tool to use along with the Chronographs....They are close but different....

I have three different types of Chronographs that I once used....remember the old Oheler the ones with the 3 screens one to start and two of the to stop to give you two actuals muzzle velocity (12 ft from the muzzle) and the Magneto Speed Chronograph...this one I use for only two or three years, it straps to the end of the barrel very accurate....and third type is the LabRadar Chronograph, it is a doppler type radar that tells you the velocity from your muzzle to the target...it eats batteries so everyone I know has a external power source, some form of Battery Pack. I have two 26K mAhr that I use, gives me plenty of power and I can recharge it when I get home. What I love to do when I have the time is to strap the Magneto Speed to the barrel and set up the LabRadar in conjunction with each other...and average out the reads on them....

But I would say that to spend the money on this software.....it has been worth it with all the updates that they send you (at a cost of course)....but if you are a serious reloader these two tools are a must.... 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:20:48 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Quick Load Software and Chronographs
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
I bought a chronograph a while back, but haven't used it. In actuality, I'm afraid to shoot it the first time I use it. Would love to see how my reloads ate performing.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
Louie - Go ahead and set it up, allow some extra time for it...I know that your actually loads does vary from what you think is the muzzle velocity !!! I know I will take my LabRadar with me next Tuesday, next range day, and will take some of my hand loads and try them out...and also will take the slug gun with me as well as then muzzle loader...should be an interesting day....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:37:25 PM »
I have one of the old conventional chronographs, and use it on occasion to compare velocities of reloads, factory loads, and different muzzleloader recipes.  The "book" velocities for either reloads or the stated velocities on a box of factory loads are OK for reference, but it's very helpful to know what a given load does in your gun, which might have a longer or shorter barrel, looser or tighter chamber, etc.  I am always a little nervous Louie that I'm going to blow it to smithereens, but so far no worries.  I'm generally using it within 5-10 yards of the muzzle and it has a pretty big window to shoot through.  I do get the gun sighted in first before using the chrony so I have confidence that where I'm pointing it is where the bullet will go.  Found a nice sturdy photography tripod at a yard sale a few years ago and just leave the chrony mounted on it so it's pretty quick to set it up when I want to use it.  The data I get is very insightful, glad I have it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 09:05:14 AM »
Guys - Once I got my first one Chronograph (see pictures from the past) it was an Oehler 33 without the printer....and I manually wrote down each velocity. Have tons of notebooks with the data still in it....I had to have one, they are a useful tool in finding out what you exact of average velocity is for you round....I determined the average velocity, the average deviation and the min and max spread of both...guys at that time thought I was nuts (that hasn't changed a bit - they still think I nuts, even today)....the Oheler 33 you had to set the distance between the start-stop windows but using a thumb wheel inside of the unit...it was originally set for 4 ft but I had to change it to 10 ft, a piece of 10 ft EMT (Electrical Maintenance Tubing) cut into 2 - 5 ft sections did the trick for me...it fit nicely into the single gun case that you see on the ground on the bottom picture.....

Also in the picture is the old Basch and Lomb Spotting Scope. Bought it at a garage sale, Redfield has it name on it (it was red for Redfield) but at the time you could tell that it was a Basch and Lomb and the old Cabela's sold both of them at that time - the B&L and the Redfield Spotters...but you could not get a B&L in red color only beige and black...LOL...Redfield made sure of that....

I love the fact that today I dd have the Oheler 35P with the printer and the MagnetoSpeed 2.0 (think that it is version 3.0 now) and the LabRadar....easier and easier to set up....the current case where I keep the Oheler 35P is the same case as I used in 1985 with the Oheler 33 in...in case you were wondering....   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:14:39 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 06:12:42 AM »
The date I have on the pictures of me shooting through the Oheler 33 is around 1984 or 85.....

I am one to think that I don't need technology to hunt, but it is getting more important than every to slow drag me into the future of modern hunting....I will spend $3K on a Cooper but will not spend a 100 bucks on software...but things they are a changing...With the LabRadar and the MagnetoSpeed and the Quick Load Software already purchased and in used at my house, looks like I'm there!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
I enjoy following the reloading thread! 
Bo, you are a wealth of information for folks that need a common sense approach to tweaking a rifle's performance.  I used to reload quite a bit and maybe around 15 years ago, I ran out of good .243 brass.  Living where we do I had to order all my components at that time.  Ordering brass compared to new factory rounds some how didn't add up.  So I bought a case of 10 boxes of Remington Core lokt 100 gr., rounds to fire and the brass to salvage.  Life was so busy back then and all I needed was a reliable rifle that would group around 3 inches at 100 yards in order to put Bambi in the freezer,  my reloading equipment got stored away.  My old 700 will shoot Remington and Winchester 100 gr. factory loads well enough for for me.
Reading y'all's comments reminds me of other things in my life.  I used to be able to get out there and participate in whatever came along, now I mostly just sit on the other side of the fence and watch the rodeo.
Keep giving the good reports and experiences!
Treefarmer

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 06:44:29 AM »
Tree - Thanks for the good comments....

I think long time ago when we first got into reloading the bullet manufacturers did not talk to the ammo makers which at the time were Remington and Winchester....that is what I bought when I had to buy ammo, that was before I got into reloading...back then I made $11 per hour (back in 70 jobs were hard to come by - sort of like today) and had to work a second and third jog to make ends meet....slowly I started reloading trying to cut cost and I love to shoot....so I saved all the 270 and 308 brass that I shot, and even today I still have every piece of 270 brass that I have every shot out of my old model 70A in 270 Win...I worked three jobs until I worked weekends at the Atlanta Airport...then I changed jogs and started working in Downtown Atlanta with GA Power Co and working at the airport. All that did was to create a problem, I had the money but not the time to shoot or to reload, all I did was to eat sleep and work!!

As time goes by I use to get the catalogs in use to be Gander Mountain and when they sold their catalog division to a company called Cabela's....at the time did not know anything about them or how to pronounce the name...so I did not order from them while I worked so much...then I took a job that made the difference in my life...but I had to quit my jobs to take a job in Norcross GA who promptly sent me to my first Nuclear Power Plant in Florida...there the second day in started working OT and that made a world of difference in a lot of things....but still held onto the beliefs that Mom and Dad taught me...drove the truck until it had almost 200K miles on it and saved my money, I was getting something called Per Diem also...had no idea what that was...but quickly learned that they were going to pay me $15 a day plus OT plus my salary...wow was rolling in the money...this gravy train lasted almost 5 years in that time I have bought a 308 and a bunch of reloading equipment and 10 acres in Port St Lucie before it was Port St. Lucie !!! had all the plans to stay down in Florida for Unit 2 and move into the office in Stuart, when Atlanta call me back home, so I head back to Norcross to work on the project in Minnesota...work in Atlanta for at least 2 to 3 years shot a lot then and joined a shooting range (Riverbend Gun Club) and had to set up my reloading equipment in a house that I bought near Mom and Dad...

So I shot a lot and set up my reloading bench in my unfinished basement...I started selling off each of the 1/2 lots down in Florida, St Lucie exploding and got a newer truck....and started talking to the Sierra Guys a lot...almost monthly calls to them....man do they have a wealth of knowledge....but as my collection grew, so did my bank account with the sale of the land in Port St Lucie.....when I picked up on something that has always bother me, is that the bullet folks like Sierra and Nosler and other bullet manufacturers did not talk with the ammo guys and so there was a big gap between what Remington and Winchester produced. The Sierra folks were just made for the bench rest folks....I was a deer hunter that listen and watch to the bench rest guys. As I said all I wanted was a good load for my 270 and 308....

These days is seems like all of the bullet manufacturers are talking to the rifle manufacturers a lot. I do have all the Sierra and Nosler and Speer manuals back to volume 1 of each of them...and it sure seem like the reference rifle was something off the bench and they would never reference a hunting rifle at all...You can tell they are talking to them because today it sure seems like they all have something going on with the Ammo with the bullet being one from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, Swift or Hornady. That is good news for those folks who go out and buy a box of ammo and of course they paid the premium price for 20 rounds...

You can tell that they (rifle and bullet makers) talk to each other and you never know who is going to buy your rifles because the ammo keeps gettinb better and better. just look at the Range Results form 8-18 when I shot the group almost though the same hole with the Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 PRC...The Sierra Reloading Manual now shows rifles that you can buy off the shelf....I do wish that more rifle manufacturers would furnish a target like the Coopers do and fire three shots at the range in the factory....it would be a better world....

Tree - I will close to say to "Share Your Knowledge" that is what I am doing now. I will be 71 this hunting season and you never know how many more that you have!!!     

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 10:24:51 AM »
I do think the gun and ammo manufacturers (including reloading components) are working more closely together these days.  Good and bad with that of course, but it also seems like it's a bit easier now to do your own wildcatting than it used to be, with many machine shops willing to grind custom reamers for unique projects.  About 10 years ago I bought a cheap little Rossi single shot .223 for my wife, thinking it would be a nice simple coyote shooter for her.  It would have been a great platform for reloading some heavy pills, with no mag length constraints, but the doggone thing has a terribly slow twist and doesn't even like to shoot 55 grain bullets.  It does pretty well now with 40 and 45 gr projectiles.  Just didn't understand some of the basic physics back when I bought the gun.  I spend a lot of time now with my chrony data and ballistics calculators to figure out what's best for each one.  Have several different .38 Special, .45 ACP, .44 mag, and 9mm loads ready on the bench downstairs, just need to get out with the chrony and targets to see how each one performs.  Trying to commonize on Unique for all of my pistol loads, will keep you posted on how this turns out.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad