New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Different Types of Slings  (Read 76 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Different Types of Slings
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »
If you have not been living under a rock when it comes to slings...there are three main types of connecting the sling to your rifle...the first type is the typical swivels, see pix 1....it is the kind most of us grew up, most of my rifles have them on it, but when I got my Sauer Model 200 way back in the mid 80's there was a new type of connection. Wow, had never seen one of these before see pix 2, I had to set up a sling with these type quick connectors, just for this rifle...it was the only rifle that I had in the inventory with such a sling connection. So I had Dave ordered me some quick connectors..he told me that many or most of the European rifles use them...they cost me a small fortune back then....

Then I got married and got my wife a 7mm-08 Steyr M96 Prohunter topped with a Zeiss 3-9 Conquest, great rifle it shoots cloverleafs at 100 yard using 120 Gn Bullets, no not 139 or 140 or 150 or 160....it will not shoot them but it does like the 120 gn bullets. Anyway these different type guns both the Sauer and Steyr use different type sling connections. The Steyr took a yet different approach...see pix 3...so I had to make up a sling and get the connectors for it as well....so now I had three different type connectors, the newest Mossberg and Ruger take the standard swivels (pix 1) but the Christensen Arms and the Bergara are set up for either standard swivels and the quick connectors (see pix 2)....

What I have been doing is to order a nice decent sling without any attachments on it and then order the connectors and swivels for it and then sit down and put it together so I have enough slings and swivels and connectors....

And if you missed it, I use to go to GA from Tenn here without any slings with me...I would discover this after getting down there!! Dag-nab-it....I would do this for years and years and more years...I finally bought four from Walmart and left two of them in my camper....then after getting back from the woods, would order a couple of new slings from Midway USA and get them set up for that particular rifle.....today I have 31 (and 2 more in the camper slings with different connectors on them if I have 5 rifles with the quick connectors I have 8 slings with them and if I have 4 Steyr rifles with there type sling connections, I will have 6 of them ....when I was working did not have time to think it was just throw the rifles in and away I would go, realizing that when I got down to deer camp, I have left the slings at home...but since retiring I have time to think about things and slings more than every before....

Which ones do you have? 1, 2 or 3 and don't forget about the AR15 slings, they are many of those too as well...I have about 4 different type of those....   

Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Different Types of Slings
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:48 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Different Types of Slings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:46:17 AM »
I can hear Split Toe and Deerhead saying - Don't forget the slings.....yea, I hear ya....before I head down to GA for our annual hunt.....

What I do is to sit the case up first then remove the bolt from the firearm, then will get any extra magazines and finally will put the appropriate sling with it.....then close it...the ammo for the rifle goes into a separate container, generally it will be an ammo can....

With enough slings (31 of them) this year and the time to think for a minute or two, I should not have any sling problems this year.....Hopefully I won't dummy up and forget them...

I forgot to mention that both of my crossbows has the standard swivels on it.....will be taking the Stryker down with me when I got in mid Oct.....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:00:26 AM »
Guess you know me too well. 

But on the other hand I must have been living under a rock or working too much.  I was not familiar with the other two attachments.  I have heard of a quick attachment but never have seen one.

Thanks for the pictures.  I now know. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »
Deerhead - There must be something wrong with me...I got 31 sling in house here and they all have either the three type of connectors on them plus the two I have in the camper down at the club...I know I can be compulsive most of the time...but what is wrong with me....I also today got in the 4 - 3 shot magazine from Bergara....now that I have 12 - 3 shot and about 10 - 5 shot and a couple of 10 shot magazine, all plastic, that will fit 7 different rifles...maybe 8 or 9 soon (after deer season 2020-2021 ends)....now that is after a couple of years ago, I started buying extra semi-auto magazines, and then buying range finders and then buying binoculars...yea I agree with me, there is something wrong with me....LOL....

But the last 3 out of 5 rifles I have gotten in 2020 have had the quick connectors, see pix #2, the Bergara has sling connections for both conventional swivels and the quick connectors and the latest Christensen Arm (the small 308) the BA VTAC has both but the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC does not have the quick connectors, just the conventional swivels connections....The carbon fiber stocks seems to have both types of connectors where the Steyr has the only rifle that I own that has it's own swivels...I have Steyr's and all three have the same type, different from the others....

The first quick connector was the with the Sauer 200, think it was around 1985 or 86, that I bought from Dave (David's Gun Room, Norcross GA) when he called me to see if I was interested in it....later one I added a 25-06 barrel for it...now I have two barrel (calibers) for it a 30-06 and a 25-06....took the 30-06 on two Safaris with me and the 25-06 took my Antelope at 318 (first shot) and 343 (second shot) yards...but the sling quick connectors worked very good on both hunts....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad