New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which Reticle(s) do you prefer  (Read 209 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Which Reticle(s) do you prefer
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:34:17 AM »
Which one or two do you like to on your rifle scope....

I have many of the reticles on my Leupold scopes from the standard duplex to the crosshairs to the heavy duplex to the post and duplex-which is my favorite....I like the illuminated version (of any kind) especially for the last minutes shots at the big old bucks!!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:42:39 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Which Reticle(s) do you prefer
« on: July 27, 2020, 06:34:17 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Which Reticle(s) do you prefer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 06:45:23 AM »
crosshairs or duplex is what i have
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
Actually I like Nikon's BDC reticle the best, but Leupold's fine duplex would be my preference out of their product line.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
fine or wide duplex for me. clean and simple
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Fine Duplex for me. I agree with Mad though Nikon BDC is what I like best.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »
duplex and fine duplex are my preferences
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
I like the duple.  But when I purchased a Leupold VXR 30mm Duplex with the Fire dot reticle I found a new favorite!  The red dot seems to help with target acquisition.     
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 03:57:22 PM »
TMR detail or BDC but leaning towards the mil spec.  @--0--0104
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 08:02:05 PM »
I like the duple.  But when I purchased a Leupold VXR 30mm Duplex with the Fire dot reticle I found a new favorite!  The red dot seems to help with target acquisition.   
Deerhead - I'd love to try a Firedot out in the field but too cheap so far to buy one.  I've looked at them a couple of times in the stores, and it seems like a really nice view.  Would like to try it outside in both bright sunlight and at dusk to see how it does.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 08:21:43 PM »
Deerhead - I'd love to try a Firedot out in the field but too cheap so far to buy one.  I've looked at them a couple of times in the stores, and it seems like a really nice view.  Would like to try it outside in both bright sunlight and at dusk to see how it does.

Mad I am so cheep my wife has to make me spend money.   --099-780

But I got a good deal on the scope.  But I had to do a little.... well...trade to maximize my discount.  Let me explain.  BassPro had their annual scope trade in sale.  The VXR was $399.00.  and on sale for $369.00.  You could trade in a scope and receive $100.00 gift card.  I purchased a $19.00 pellet rifle scope.  Walked back into the store and traded it in for the $100 gift card.  Thus the VXR only cost me $289.00. 

One nice feature is that the Fire Dot has different brightness settings.  You can set it on a small red  dot to a nice bright red dot. When its dusk I prefer the low setting at dusk and a brighter setting when its bright.  I also really like the 30mm glass. It provides a nice field of view.   

Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 06:40:48 PM »
I've been using the duplex reticle since about 1968+/- about the same time the Redfield Widefield  came out.  I didn't get a Widfield but bought a 2X7 regular Redfield with the duplex reticle and feel no need to change this late in the game.  I have of course upgraded to different and better scopes over the years and always with the duplex reticle. 
My son came home several months ago to set a scope on an AR and it had more dials and light switches than the law allows.  It had all sorts of lines and numbers in it, way too much for me to comprehend. @--0--0117
I did have an old Weaver, maybe a K2, that had a cross hair and post that was mighty fine.  It was on top of a Nylon 66 and we carried it on the tractor when farming.  It and the 66 were no competition for the 10' International Harvester harrow. @--0--0116
Blue steel, walnut and a good 50mm variable with a duplex reticle will do this simple old man.
Treefarmer

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 08:44:20 PM »
duplex reticle
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:22:46 AM »
A lot of times when you buy a used scope or one that comes on the rifle you cannot be picky as if you were buying a new scope...for example, Cabela's had Leupold VX2
4-12X scopes marked incorrectly (they were typically $489....but had them mismarked to $389...so I ordered on for my only Remington old Sendero 270 Win.......I got to thinking about it and ordered 4 more scopes all with the thin/fine cross-hairs (long before the internet)....the lady was so mad when she told me that each scope was $489 and I told her no mame...that they were $389 in my catalog...she told to tell her the catalog number and she was so mad that she did not talk to me, just asked me my CC number and that was it....she quickly told me that she would do something about the mismarked catalog....all I said was thank you and good-by...LOL...

But like the Zeiss Conquest scopes, that was a steal to get them at $399 and sometimes $359 and $379 each...so you have to take the variety of cross-hairs that were available at the time....

I do have 4 Leupold VX6 with the firedot...now that is scope...also have the VX-R with the firedot....I have the Burris Electrodot II and it takes the old CR2032 Battery....bought it about 20 years ago, that was my first electrodot scope....just changed the battery a few months ago and turned it off....but it still works good.....same goes for the Leupold firedots that I have, changed battery

I also have a bunch of Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X x 44mm with it's 30mm tube scope...it sure seems like each one of the 6 or 7 that I bought used that they each have a different crosshairs....

I sort of have them all from the plain old duplex to the fine to the illuminated cross-hairs duplex.....I have to be flexible when it comes to the cross-hairs on a scope...as long as it works, that is the bottom line....this year had to send two scope back one to Vortex and the other to Leupold...the Vortex came back under 2 weeks where the Leupold was also 7 weeks....the Vortex they just sent me a new scope (no serial number - made in China) and the Leupold was to adjust the stiffness of the power adjustment ring....but just like my muzzle loader, the CVA Accura II, the bigger the companies the longer it will take them to fix the problem.....

Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad