New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: My story makes up for the lack in numbers  (Read 153 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
My story makes up for the lack in numbers
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
I posted earlier that I had passed up a woodchuck the other day, due to the heat.  Yesterday morning, I had the opportunity to close the deal.  This woodchuck had been coming in for a few days, but somehow, it either got spooked, or wouldn't give me a shot, etc.  It was getting pretty frustrating.  At one point, I even got to about 30 ft from it.  I was out walking the dog, and as we went around the barn, I spotted the chuck feeding out in the open. The dog didn't see it, and I quickly and quietly as possible got her out of there.  Went back to the house to get the 22, but the chuck was gone when I returned. Another time, I spotted the chuck by the barn, so I grabbed the Axis and when I got to my favorite shooting post, I found my view blocked by a redbud I had planted years ago.  How did it get that large, it's beyond me.  Yesterday, after taking the dog for her morning walk, and I had started fixing my breakfast, I spotted the chuck, so I went out through the garage.  apparently, the sound of the garage door opening, spooked the chuck. Returned to the house, to continue fixing my breakfast. A few minutes later, chuck came back out, so I left the house via the front door, went south around the house, and slowly made my way towards the barn, using the terrain and trees for cover.  Chuck was still out, but way too close to the barn.  I certainly didn't want to put a hole in the barn, and I most certainly didn't want to wound the chuck and have it crawl under the barn and die there. So I backed out and returned to the house.  I was able to finish my breakfast, when I spotted the chuck again, barely peeking over the ramp to the barn.  I knew that the  redbud would not obscure the view at that point, but I had to hurry out.  Went out the front door, hurried to the trash deck, and took up my position.  Chuck was still there, just not offering a clear shot.  After a few minutes, it raised its head maybe 2 inches higher.  I had relaxed a little bit, sights were steady, and I took the shot.  I quickly ran to the barn, and the chuck was dead, not one foot away from where it had been standing.  there was a little blood in front of its head, so I turned it over to take a better look.  I was greatly surprised, as its face was completely gone! No eyes, nose or mouth.  I would have taken a pic, but it was not pretty.  I've never had to work that hard for a woodchuck, but that makes it memorable.  Notice the ramp behind the chuck in the pic.  That is where the chuck had been standing when I shot it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:34:35 AM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

TalkHunting Community

My story makes up for the lack in numbers
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: My story makes up for the lack in numbers
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
Great story Louie , congrats .  --09--0
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »
Louie is back on the board!!   That chuck was probably sticking his tongue out at you, daring you to take the shot.  Took the smile right off of his face.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:16:25 PM »
Patients pays off. Congrats !!  @--0--0123
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
Nice job, welcome to the party, better late than never.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 01:03:35 PM »
keep after them. congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA