New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: tract optics versus leupold  (Read 154 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
tract optics versus leupold
« on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
       I'm in the market for a scope to shoot out to about 500 yards. I don't want an adjustable objective. Tract has a 3-15 x42 for $794 and leupold has a 4.5x14 for about $500.  So is the Tract worth $300 more then the Leupold? I normally try to buy from U.S. companys but it is getting tougher every year. Low light performance is very important. Any thoughts?

TalkHunting Community

tract optics versus leupold
« on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: tract optics versus leupold
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »
not- I really like my toric 3x15. clear, great light gathering, mine is adjustable and it's pretty simple. I was very impressed

if your are not in a hurry, they do run sales to there email list. I picked mine up for $500. they called it a demo, but there wasn't a scratch on it. it was like new. they also run general sales on a fairly regular basis
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 06:51:13 AM »
Notsams and Yari - The first scope manufacturer I go to is Leupold, have over 40 of them installed and have three more in the "scope pile"....because of their warranty! Plain and simple...but if it was not for Leupold, the rest of the manufacturers would have cheapen their product. Leupold is big and getting bigger and slower in you customer service, but they are the best warranty in the industry....thank goodness for Leupold....

Having said that, I have 5 Tract Products, 1 pair of their 1-x42 Toric Binos and two Toric Scopes and 1 Repsonse and 1 22 Fire Scope. They all are top quality products from Japan and NOT China or the Philippines or Twain ....Yes Jon has told me that all of their optics come from a very high quality manufacturer they are located in Japan....so far so good as far as their products go....they all seem a little bit heavy but that is good in some ways.

Vortex is a different story....different lines of scope or optics are made according...some of their scopes are made in China, some in Twain and some are made in the Philippines...but you cannot argue with their warranty...I think when Vortex hit the mark they had their eye on Zeiss and their products....but as time went by and as Vortex grew, their focus changed from Zeiss to Leupold....so they continue to make good products and their warranty is second to none...I can testify to that. They sent me a new scope when I sent one back to them within a week had a new one in my hand...with a letter saying that it had a bent tube? Yea right, since it did not have a serial number, figure it was made in China...they simple sent me a new scope...it was a 4-12X x 44mm with a 1 inch tube....my inside Vortex told me all of this good info.

So with Nikon getting out of the scope business, wonder who sill be next?? it is a highly competitive market.....and I like all my scopes except for one....to be named at a later date....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:51:43 PM »
  Bo   in your honest opinion. Do you think the toric is worth $300 more then the Leupold VX3I? You have the most experience with the Tract optics of anyone on this site. My budget screams Leupold but my curiousity says Tract. I try buy products made in the U.S. that's 1 reason why I am such a Leupold fan.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 07:54:45 PM »
Notsams - I would say NO, but Leupold doesn't use Schott glass in their VX line, they do in the VX5 and VX6 lines, just depends on the scope, and you got to remember the warranty for Leupold....a known entente....where as Tract Scope that is made in Japan for Tract...according to one of the Jons (that is one of the co-owners) they use the best Schott glass that is made...Schott Glass is made somewhere in Austria or Germany.....

So do you weight out the fact that Leupold is made in America (or assembled here in America) and warranty their product and doesn't care who has owned it, it is still a life time warranty on their product....and that Tract is a fairly new company with a unproven tract (excuse the pun) record but I am sure that they have facilities here in the USA that takes cars of their problem optics?

There is nothing wrong with a VX3i 3.5-10X at all, go for it.....I have a couple of VX3 and one VX2 in the "scope pile" and when I get another rifle, I would not hesitate to pull one of the three and use it...just depends on the caliber that I am getting....I have a ton of Vortex and a couple of Bushnell and a few other brands in the "scope pile".....

To be blunt about it....Go out and order yourself a Leupold today....I have a ton of VX2 and many VX3, and a few VX5 and four VX6 and one LPS that I got way back when, it is an odd ball of a scope it is a 2.5-10X 30mm tube with a 45mm objective? they only made it for 2 to 3 years, it is as good as any Swarovski, Zeiss or Lecia I own....There is nothing wrong with a good VX3 scope, or the VX-R to me that was one of the first scopes that Leupold put out that was super...it exceeded my expectations of a scope...the LPS is one of a kind one of the best that Leupold has put out.....having said that some of the VX2 is as good as the VX3, just my opinion....but if you have a problem with any Leupold Product be prepared to be without it for at least 4 to 8 weeks...with Tract? it is unknown, the smaller the company is the faster turn-around time you will get..most every manufacturer today offers a unlimited-transferable-life-time-warranty of the product.... 

Talk about budget, with today optics from Leupold or anybody else, you got to spend as much as you do on the rifle to put decent glass on it!! have you seen the price of a good Cooper today it will cost you around 3K and put a decent scope on it, it will cost you about $1500 to do it that way....wow....and most Leupold and everybody else the good quality scopes and other products are heavier than the less inexpensive scopes....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 06:16:11 PM »
Yesterday was range day and just by chance I have taken 3 Tract Scopes and 2 Leupold scopes....I had not notice this until after I had gotten home from the range and started putting them on the bench where I clean the rifles and make any adjustments, tighten down scopes and check stock torques, etc...Now the Leupold was a VX3 and a VX5 HD.....The cost for both Leupold scopes was about $1500 and the cost for the three Tract optics was $1700....the difference was the Schott Glass that was used on the Tract Scopes and the Leupold VX5 HD scope....the little VX3 2.5-8X x 36mm does not use the Schott Glass, but the Leupold VX5 HD does....

The scopes were all manufacturer within the last 5 years, except the VX3 - the glass was still bright. I cannot tell you guys which one to buy cause the warranty on the Leupold is proven where the Tract is not....maybe they are built the way old Nikons are built...tough as nails, never had to seen one of them back so here hoping that Tract uses the same manufactures as the Nikons did.....the Tract should have a quicker turnaround time than the Leupold but the Leupold Factory Service is second to none.....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad