New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 1/3 second zero  (Read 88 times)

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
1/3 second zero
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »
has any one heard of this on how to sight in your rifle was in game and fish east magazine may 2020 page 10 let the bullet's time of flight determine how to sight in a big game rifle  i have never heard this but after reading it made sense to me what say you all
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

TalkHunting Community

1/3 second zero
« on: July 11, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: 1/3 second zero
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »
It's one of many ways you can do it Dave.  In 1/3 of a second, every bullet of every caliber will basically fall the same distance from the bore centerline (if fired horizontally).  Doesn't matter if the bullet is 250 grains traveling at 1000 fps or 55 grains traveling at 4000 fps, gravity works essentially the same on both.  I personally don't care for that approach, instead I zero a given gun taking into account the min and max range that I expect to be shooting with (hunting scenario) and zero it such that I have the least vertical variation in that span of range. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: 1/3 second zero
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 06:30:36 AM »
Dave - Nope never heard of it but Mad has a point....

I love up my 308 somewhere between 2600 and 2900 fps (muzzle velocity), just depends on the rifle...it will drop accordingly.....but you have to know your rifle and it abilities along with your own...I also have a window (400 yards) that is my limit and you have to know what you bullet down within that window of opportunity....I not telling anything new here, but you have to keep in my that each rifle has it own range....I know from shooting a bunch of 308 that if you have it site in at 100 yards, then it will drop about 4" at 200 yards....if it has a 20" barrel and hand loaded it up to say around 2800 fps at Muzzle....

For example my 375 H&H Mag has a range of 200 yards (kicks like a mule) It has a 25.75" barrel on it! While a less powerful round like a 7mm Rem or a 300 Win Mag has a range of, my limit of 400 yards, but the round has a range of what 600 to 800 yards? Now where does (at what range) a round in energy, ft lbs of energy, drop below that or your limits?? I want to hit a Elk with 1500 lbs or more of energy! So where does it drop below that amount of energy? So folks what to hit an Elk with 2000 ft lbs of energy, some will go down to 1000 ft lbs of energy, that is the key here. What is your limit?? Mine is 400 yards...I have shot the Sendero's and other Custom Magnum rifles at 600 yards back in the 90's when I was going to Colorado every year...shot about 1 MOA at that distance....

Sorry to get off the subject but each rifle has it own personality and it limits just like the shooter.....thanks Dave and Mad for a real important subject....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad