New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 22-243 AI  (Read 113 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
22-243 AI
« on: June 29, 2020, 07:47:34 PM »
    I decided on the 22-243 AI cartridge for a new coyote gun. I was looking for a 22-250 to rechamber but with the "virus" all the gun shows have been cancelled and I have been laying low so I saved a couple bucks too. I ordered a Hart Barrel for the project. I talked to Jack at Hart and we decided on a 1in14 twist 3 groove barrel in the mag sporter profile. The gunsmith has ordered a 700 stainless action and a clip setup. I haven't ordered the stock yet but probably will go with a HS precision. Maybe a white camo stock. I want it light colored so I don't have to use camo tape. The plan for the rifle is a "under" 500 yard pickup gun that I can carry into my calling setups too. A 50 grain bullet at 4400 fps is what I'm going for. Hopefully it hits a coyote with authority.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: 22-243 AI
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:46:15 PM »
Sounds like it will have plenty of "authority" when that thing punctures a yote.  Any idea what type of bullet you'll use?  I used to assume Vmax was the obvious choice, but frankly at that speed I'd be worried about splashing them on impact - a friend of mine has been trying to convince me that even in my slow twist .223s at 3400-ish fps I may be prone to that.  I've been using Sierra Varminters in my AR (60gr) with good results but they're only cruising at about 3000.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:37:40 PM »
Mad    I am planning on the V max or Nosler Ballistic tip.    I think Dutch has said that the V max can handle high velocitys so I plan to start there.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
A lot of what I've read leads me to believe the Ballistic Tip is a bit tougher than the Vmax.  All sorts of opinions out there of course, but saw a lot of people complaining about the terminal performance of the Vmax if you pushed them too hard (in .224 at least).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 02:03:18 PM »
I've used the 55 grain Nosler Varmageddon's in 22-250 and 243 with very good results.  Pdogs hate them. LOL
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 08:41:17 PM »
Gobi     How does the Varmageddons work on coyotes?

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 07:38:58 PM »
        I went ahead and ordered a Bell and Carlson stock for the 22-243 AI project. I didn't like any of the white camo stocks I could find. After looking for a couple weeks I decided to save $120 and buy the B and C stock instead of the HS precision. The B and C has a aluminum bedding block that extends into the forearm to the sling swivel and extends into the butt stock for added strength, they are very stiff. The gunsmith will machine out the recoil lug area in the stock so we can use a thicker recoil lug.  I ordered the medium grey with black spider web design so I don't think it will be to hard to hide when I'm calling Coyotes. All the pieces are ordered now so all I can do is wait.        I'm going to start to gather load data and get the bullets and loading dies ordered.      I'm having second thoughts about the scope choice for the rifle.  I have a couple on hand but don't know if I should use them or spend the money for something new.    Decisions decisions.

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 03:19:58 PM »
Sounds good. I used 55 gr Winchesters when I had my old Remington 22-250 and they killed everything I could hit from groundhogs to deer. I loved that rifle and should have bought another one after my "buddy" "borrowed" mine and took to Colorado 30 years ago and sold it 4 months later I found out a year later- I can't say what I done but I ain't like that no more and he ain't my buddy! Anyway I hope to see some targets when she's done. Good luck!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 08:43:29 PM »
 Only shot one yote. One shot 383 yards. Dropped like a box of rocks.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad