New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 300 RUM  (Read 157 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
300 RUM
« on: June 28, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
   I have been playing with a 300 Rem Ultra Mag for a friend. It is a Rem Sendero rifle, stainless steel fluted barrel with a synthetic stock with an aluminum bedding block. The rifle shoots 180 grain Scirrocco bullets at 3180 fps and drops big bull Elk in their tracks. I removed some rust from the under side of the action, cleaned the complete rifle and stock and glued in the sling swivel studs. I mounted a 4.5-14x40 Leupold and gathered the data for a custom turret. Leupold said 8-10 weeks for the turret, but I got in 14 days. I went with a 1 spin turret and that will get us out to 750 yards. "his goal is about 500 yards". This rifle is a cannon. definitely more recoil then I like. The trigger was over 6 pounds so I adjusted it down to about 3.25 pounds. I told my friend that he will hit a 24 inch target at 500 yards on the 2nd shot fired with the new Leupold. Once on target at 500 yards we will fine tune it so it is dead on.

TalkHunting Community

300 RUM
« on: June 28, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: 300 RUM
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 02:08:27 PM »
that's a nice set up. I had a buddy w/ the same gun and he didn't like the kick either. he's the one that bought the cooper 300 win mag w/ a muzzle brake.

FYI. he was the guy that had issues w/ the magazine falling out after each shot. he sent the entire rifle back to cooper after 3 failed attempts by local dealers to fix it. I believe it was a 3 week turn around and they fixed it. he shot it the other day w/o issue. let's hope it's a permanent fix.

I hope he appreciates your efforts. nice work
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 04:18:16 PM »
   Yea it is a nice rifle, and an excellent Elk gun. The guy that owns it took me and a couple friends under his wing and showed us his Elk hunting spot in Colorado. Because of his generosity my friends and I have shot about 15 Elk and have become great friends. That is a big deal to me. having someone bring you in to a place that produces game is a huge advantage. We could of searched on our own for years and never found a spot this good. I will make sure his rifle is as good as it can possibly be before I give it back to him.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »
I agree. CO has been tough for most of the guys I know lately. he's a good man to bring you in. not many would be so generous
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:44:30 AM »
Notsams - That sounds like a nice set up you have there....I have a 300 Win Mag Sendero and the recoil is differently more that I like, even worst a 338 Win Mag, use to flinch before taking it out of it case just looking at it cause me to flinch...LOL...but since I put a brake on it is OK and has the recoil of a 30-06....but the 300 Win Mag (all of them except one) and it is a old Winchester 70 heavy barrel with a Boss on it....and since I purchase it that way all I had to do is to find the right load for it and it took me a few years to find it.....the powder was the problem...but all my triggers on them are reduce to 2.75 Lbs to 3.25 lbs....which as you know helps greatly with the accuracy....

All of them set next to one another in the gun safe #1.....but need to take them suckers out and shoot them....

What kind of optics did you top it off with??

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
Notsams nice setup for both of you. I finally got to elk hunt in Colorado. Beautiful country but no elk where we were at. Wish you continued success there. About the 300 RUM. I think your suppose to drink the RUM first so it doesn't  kick as much. --099-780
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad