New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for 6-25-2020 part 1 of 2  (Read 85 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for 6-25-2020 part 1 of 2
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:54:38 AM »
Before I post the range result for this past week, you got to understand that these are not good enough results to post....in my opinion...they were an average day at the range...got there around noon and it was crowded. Had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes before most all cleared out...got there just in time last week, but when we left around 3 PM it was crowded again see picture near the end of the shoot....

It was very hot, near 90 degrees, started out in the mid 80 and went up to 88 degrees as we shot, with the humidity hanging out right a 59 - 60% and the Wind was swirling due to the front passing through the are during the day....it range anywhere between 2 and 12 mph...not enough wind to effect the bullet flight at 100 yards in my case...LOL...I was joined by Billy S my shooting buddy, never hunted with him, just met at the range well over 10 to 15 years and viva email and a few phone calls...I am his mentor...yea right...but over the years he has become a better shot than I am, I guess mine is from age...like the great Dutch says, "it is a diminishing skill set" and I can attest to that....I need all the practice I can get....

The first one up was the Mossberg Patriot in 308 Win...first 2 shots were at 50 yards, not sure of where this would hit after cleaning it but the two shots were high and they would have been off the 8.5 x 11 inch target at 100 yards so will not post it....I will post the the target I shot at 100 yard and as you can see was tweaking it down and finally moved it enough to get it close...real close...I was shooting a 150 gn Sierra GameKing using Viht 140 powder, CCI-BR2 primers and Lapua Brass....will leave it there and load up some more of the load....the Mossberg does have a thin barrel so one has to be careful of what you shoot in it....was going to load up some 125 gn Accubonds but think I will stick with the old Sierra GK bullets for the moment....

Next up was the old vintage Sauer 200 in the 25-06 configuration that I trying to get on paper... originally I was 2" to the right. shot 2 twice to verify the loaction....the tweaked..then first shots 3 & 4 and the tweaked some more....only had 6 shots with me. Before taking to the range again I have to reload some more using the 117 gn Sierra GK bullets.....but stopped after the 5th shot...it getting close folks....

The Third one was the other Mossberg Patriot in the 6.5 PRC...it shot OK but was using the Hornady 147 ELD-X factory loads in it...but it was on paper at 100 yards and all it needed was tweaking - this week...but like all the ones I took, it had a clean barrel and did not shot any fouling shots down range, maybe I should have but for some reason did not.....but all of the rifles this week even the Savage M220 20 gauge slug gun....clean them all until the patch came out clean and white with no residue on it....so that could explain most of the targets....don't know what happen between last week and this week ?? Did adjust the scope after 1st 2 shots then for shots 3 & 4 did not adjust....but will take it to the range in a few weeks to do some more tweaking....

The last post of 1 of 2 range results will be the Savage M220 20 gauge slug gun. The 1st shot at 100 yards knew it was going to be low...especially since last week it was dead on at 50 yards, so I tweaked the scope and move it up some. The second shot was a little higher than I wanted it at, so adjusted the scope down 2 clicks and then shots 3 & 4 did not adjust but after shooting shots 3 & 4 before putting it up in the case did adjust the scope to the right 3 clicks and we will see what happens next time out....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results for 6-25-2020 part 1 of 2
« on: June 27, 2020, 06:54:38 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Range Results for 6-25-2020 part 1 of 2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »
when it's that hot, it's too much like work for me. I love to shoot, but 90 degrees is too much. you must be use to it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad