New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Reloading you own ammo  (Read 620 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Reloading you own ammo
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
Yeah, have been out to a variety of sites.  I wonder if those guys who are claiming higher velocities (around 2000 fps) are using powder coated.  Will keep on reading about it. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 09:58:17 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 08:27:28 AM »
Going to have to load up some more 7mm-08 for the Remington 700 Varmint HB this year, only have two round left before I have to size up the 50 rounds....but I thought I would take some 150 and some 120 gns bullets with me from other 7mm-08 rifles that I own....

Think I will take all the old Remington rifles that I modified earlier this year. If you remembered that I filled and filled the fiberglass stock until the Magpul Well Kit for the Remington 700....so think I will take them with me to the range...
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:16 PM »
Roger, those guys claiming 2000 fps are probably powder coating and using gaschecks.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
I started reloading when I could not find the bullet combination I wanted.  At the time I was a big fan of the partition.  No manufacture offered 308 amo with the Nosler partition.  Yes Bo my second rifle was a 308.  I know you are proud of me and I still have that Remington 722.  I did my research and purchased a RCBS Rock chucker and a set of 308 dies.  I wanted to shoot 165gn bullets but could not get them to group.  I bought some 150ís and the magic started to happen 1 moa.  Then I stared to play with the powder and charge and achieved some very respectable groups at 100yds.  Very pleased for a factory rifle that built in 1968.  I do not have the load data I would have to refer to my notes its been a few years since I have reloaded.  But I know it was not a hot load but it was effective on deer.  With amo shortages of today I need to start back. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »
I started loading ammo with my Dad about 48 years ago. I stood on a bucket and seated the bullets in 30 06 ammo. Dad had a Herters press and only reloaded 30 06 shells. Dad was on the police force and shot competition with revolvers and bullets they cast from wheel weights and print type. The police department had a progressive reloader that was a pain to get working good but with experience they figured it out.        Years ago I bought a Dan Wesson 357 Maximum used from a guy at work. He had only fired lead bullets. I bought several hundred of his bullets when I bought the gun but they leaded the barrel and it was hard to get clean. I fired about 100 jacketed bullets and that smoothed out the barrel and cured the leading problem. The bullets were 190 grs with a gas check and about 1800 fps. That handgun was the loudest gun I ever owned but I shot  over 600 rounds in it before trading it for a XP 100 in a 7mmBR. On a bench with a red dot scope it could shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »
3" at 100 yds is about as good as it can get with a red dot in my opinion.  I have one that I really like on my little AR9 pistol I built recently, but that dot covers quite a bit of area as you back up.  I'll bet you can tighten that up with a scope.  Have never shout one of those pistols but currently trying to figure out how to shoot a Contender well (next step is to simply admit that my eyeballs and iron sights are no longer compatible at any significant distance).

and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 08:28:33 AM »
I started loading ammo with my Dad about 48 years ago. I stood on a bucket and seated the bullets in 30 06 ammo. Dad had a Herters press and only reloaded 30 06 shells. Dad was on the police force and shot competition with revolvers and bullets they cast from wheel weights and print type. The police department had a progressive reloader that was a pain to get working good but with experience they figured it out.        Years ago I bought a Dan Wesson 357 Maximum used from a guy at work. He had only fired lead bullets. I bought several hundred of his bullets when I bought the gun but they leaded the barrel and it was hard to get clean. I fired about 100 jacketed bullets and that smoothed out the barrel and cured the leading problem. The bullets were 190 grs with a gas check and about 1800 fps. That handgun was the loudest gun I ever owned but I shot  over 600 rounds in it before trading it for a XP 100 in a 7mmBR. On a bench with a red dot scope it could shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards.

Dan Wesson 357 - Now that brings back some memories!  One of my best friends that has since passed use to hunt a lot with his Dan Wesson 357.  He shot several deer with it.  He was a member of our GA hunting club.  Many good stories about this good guy.  But I should would have like to had that gun.  It was in mint condition.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
Deerhead - I know who you are talking about...yes he was a good man, and a pistol collector...I do remember the Dan Wesson pistol packs...back when I live in Atlanta area, Dave over at Dave's Gun Room offered me a pistol pack and I said no I am not a collector (way back then) I was a hunter...boy oh boy look at me now....

But yes it does bring back so very good products of the 70's and 80's....Wow....

Be good....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2020, 03:34:56 PM »
Mad   I don't know what caliber Contender you have but a scope will definitely shrink the groups. I have a 2-7 and a 2.5-8 on Xp 100s and with a bipod they shoot as good as my best rifles.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »
Notsams - Think you will be happy with either scope......depends what objective dia is...most 2-7X have a 32 or 33 or even a 34mm objective diameter...the 2.5-8X has a bigger objective diameter........

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
Not - I agree, I just need to find a scope and mount for it. 
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 09:30:19 AM »
I have been reloading my own since the early 70's and was looking back at the notebook(s) I use to keep for the general info and data for each load that I did....I use to use Gander Mountain until some company called Cabela's bought them out way back then...but like most reloaders I used RCBS and have a pot full of equipment from them...today I prefer Redding and get all my reloading supplies from Brownell's....I do like Redding and Foster.

I like the idea of loading the bullet up faster or slower (and the game don't mind) in muzzle FPS and can figure out the energy if the manual doesn't give it.....I was loading up some 243 Win the other day and was looking at the power from Sierra that they recommended from super fast in IMR-3031 to the slowest RL22 powder.....I am using the old Sierra 2130 243 Win., the flat base bullets. I loaded up about 20 rounds of them. Normally I load up only 6 to 10 rounds of any caliber...and I loaded them as needed....I loaded these up fairly slow, some 2700 fps that is slow for the 243 Win....

Did I tell you that I discover the slow burning powder of the IMR 4831 or the RL22 in then would shoot one hold groups in the past....this particular 243 (Remington 700 Varmint) loves the medium power using the 70 Nosler gn bullets....so I am trying to make this rifle a deer hunting rifle....so I am trying the 100 gn Sierra in it.....My limit is 100 gn bullet in the 243....my absolutely lowest deer round that I will us on hunting deer...I know the 70 gn will take a deer down but the 100 gn will do a better job....the 100 gn Sierra GameKing would shoot about 2" groups at 100 yards and I would use something like the 4350 or the 2015 or the Varget powders.....with no luck....so this time I am trying to slow the bullet down a bit and shoot a heavy bullet....we shall see what happens in a couple of weeks.....

This is the one advantage of loading your own up..... 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad