New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Reloading you own ammo  (Read 614 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Reloading you own ammo
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:20:10 AM »
Have been reloading my own ammo since 1971...started out with my 270 and 308....got most of my reloading equipment from Gander Mountain. Remember those days when you have to rip out or fill out the form that came in the catalog, long before the 800 phone number that you call and placed and order. but you got out your trusty ink pen and fill out and then you wrote a check, yes a personal check, (Still have them) and the you would use the US Mail to mail in your order and then you waited about 2 to 3 weeks before a package showed up at your door or you got a notice of attempted delivery!! Remember those days....probably not....

Reloading manuals were a lot more liberal back then and you did not have lawyers involved with them and they were written with the reloader in mind....I have all and I mean all of the reloading manuals from Volume 1, Number 1 on most manufacturers....and have notice on more than one or two loads that they are getting weaker meaning less powder, don't know if the lawyers got involved or is it better testing equipment or methods that the manufacturer have come up with....

But was wondering if anybody else has notice this trend or not??

Also the powder they have come up with today is phenomenal and its burns clean as well....they are so many different powders that are on the market these days than before, it use to be just the Dupont IMR powders you would use now days it is Hodgden that owns IMR and Winchester Powders along with their own powders....and it has been good for hand loaders....one of my favorite powders for the 308's is Varget and Vhit 140 and IMR4064.....I have the old style cans - all aluminum!! Talk about old!! and the new with the all plastic containers as well (they have been around for years) as with all my reloading equipment, have switch from Aluminum to Plastic and it has helped with the safety part of the reloading equation..Safety First and always....

But the purpose of this post is to ask has anybody else notice that the loads are getting softer and slower...less pressure and longer life brass......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Reloading you own ammo
« on: June 25, 2020, 06:20:10 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Reloading you own ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 09:26:41 AM »
hard to say we were reloading for our 22 250 way back when 40 some years ago lately reloading for the 270 and 222 the brass for the 270 is Remington factory brass the 222 is old stuff need to get new brass soon for it
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
Yes, I remember those days. My wife and I drove about two hours to the Gander  Mountain store. Got my RCBS Rock Chucker reloading kit and some reloading dies. Still using Rock Chucker. today. That would have been early  80's I think. I haven't noticed the softer load data. After blowing out a few primers. My loads are softer. Only been reloading 22-250 for 14 years. Tried 4 different powders. They all shot great. I shoot H380 with 55 grain bullet  at 3714 fps. Pdogs hate them. Not sure reloading has saved .money in long run. Sure had lots of fun shooting the reloads and gaining knowledge. Improved my shooting skills and others. Spend valuable time with  my two children. I would shoot a buck and one of the kids would ask if I used one of the bullets we made. When I'd say yes their face would light up, priceless. Makes you a better  hunter because of your confidence in your shooting skills.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »
Gobi - I agree.  I only started reloading myself 4-5 years ago.  Don't expect I'll ever save money by doing so, but without question it makes me a better shooter and improves the performance of my rifles (and handguns) once I zero in on what that gun likes.  And it is a good feeling when you take something down with one of your own custom loads.

Bo - without question the published load data is getting more conservative.  I've compared published (handbook) data older vs recent for a given provider (Sierra, Hornady, etc) and also the online stuff, and there's no doubt that they're pulling back on the limits.  Frankly they seem to be getting tighter on both ends, with the starting loads being a little higher in some cases and the max loads being lower.  I like to sniff around at estate sales and garage sales - in the future I'll be paying more attention to old versions of the manuals for sale.  I had the attitude previously that I could get whatever I need online these days, and while to some extent that's true, I'd like to have a few of the older handbooks on hand for a little indication on where I can press the limits a bit.   And powder - wow, that's another amazing thing - how can there be so many, with such unique traits to most of them?  That gets a bit overwhelming when you start chasing the optimum for a new bangstick.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:56:38 PM »
I've been reloading about 20 years and now that I'm into to 6.5mm Grendel it's many times the only way I can get the loads I want .

Mad , that's why I keep my 1996 edition of Lee's reload manual .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
Gobi - my first RCBS Rock Chucker I purchase in 1972 and used up until 2012....wow 50 years of dedicated service...I use it primarily a resizing die for over 40 years but in those early days use the RCBS for everything...it wasn't till I got married for the first time and bought us a home did I used the Lyman Single Stage as a seating die...it has more "feel" than most of them. Still use the same priming tool that I have every used...wow...where has the years gone....

Today I have upgraded and use the newest and latest Rock Chuckers, yes I have two of them now, one for sizing and one for seating, both are the same model....I have the original RCBS Rock Chucker and the Lyman in the Garage somewhere....I know where it is...LOL...

I can tell you the Gander Mountain Story from an old time who worked for Gander Mountain. He worked there and went to where every they sent him. He ended up at the local Gander Mountain store until they close it 5 or 6 years ago....but it is a good story,,,,,
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
I started reloading back around 1980, first shotshells, then, 308 win with a Lee loader I got for $5, at a neighbor's garage sale. Got a Speer manual, too, For $2, I think. Still have both items, plus a whole lot more reloading equipment. I can reload for 6 different rifle. Some cartridges, and 7 pistol cartridges. Some dies like my 7.62x39, and 32 acp, I have not used them yet, but they are definitely on the round tuit list. I almost enjoy reloading more than shooting. Sometimes, I just reload, cuz I can!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »
Have been reloading my own ammo since 1971...started out with my 270 and 308....got most of my reloading equipment from Gander Mountain. Remember those days when you have to rip out or fill out the form that came in the catalog, long before the 800 phone number that you call and placed and order. but you got out your trusty ink pen and fill out and then you wrote a check, yes a personal check, (Still have them) and the you would use the US Mail to mail in your order and then you waited about 2 to 3 weeks before a package showed up at your door or you got a notice of attempted delivery!! Remember those days....probably not....

Reloading manuals were a lot more liberal back then and you did not have lawyers involved with them and they were written with the reloader in mind....I have all and I mean all of the reloading manuals from Volume 1, Number 1 on most manufacturers....and have notice on more than one or two loads that they are getting weaker meaning less powder, don't know if the lawyers got involved or is it better testing equipment or methods that the manufacturer have come up with....

But was wondering if anybody else has notice this trend or not??

Also the powder they have come up with today is phenomenal and its burns clean as well....they are so many different powders that are on the market these days than before, it use to be just the Dupont IMR powders you would use now days it is Hodgden that owns IMR and Winchester Powders along with their own powders....and it has been good for hand loaders....one of my favorite powders for the 308's is Varget and Vhit 140 and IMR4064.....I have the old style cans - all aluminum!! Talk about old!! and the new with the all plastic containers as well (they have been around for years) as with all my reloading equipment, have switch from Aluminum to Plastic and it has helped with the safety part of the reloading equation..Safety First and always....

But the purpose of this post is to ask has anybody else notice that the loads are getting softer and slower...less pressure and longer life brass......
Bo in Hornady's reloading book their max hand loads have less FPS than the factory loads .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »
Yeah Sundowner - that's crazy isn't it?  I've noticed that same thing. 

Louie, I'm with you on the reloading, I've been getting back into it lately, really enjoy spending an hour or two or three in the evening prepping/sorting brass and putting together some new loads.  With my new Contender pistol and Rossi lever gun in .44 mag, I've been tinkering a lot lately.  I'd love to have a load that would shoot well in both of those plus my Super Blackhawk.  That may be a stretch, but some loads I tried this week performed well in both the Contender and the rifle, and I do have both a stout load and a "mouse fart" load that I've had good results with in the SBH so can always fall back on that.  Those stout loads in the Contender are downright miserable to shoot, and in the lever gun I don't have enough adjustment in the rear sight to get POA=POI at 25 yds with those.  Frankly they're overkill for anything I'd do, so I should back down anyway.  I have a few hundred 240 gr hard cast bullets to load up too, need to do a bit of research to re-learn what muzzle velocity I need to stay under to avoid leading problems. 
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 05:41:13 AM »
Sundowner - Thanks - Did not know what, but was wondering about it....Thanks...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
Roger, when shooting lead, fit is king. Hardness becomes a factor if you try to push the lead bullets too fast. Your lead bullet should measure about. 002" larger than the groove diameter.  You shouldn't try to push lead bullets as fast as jacketed.  One way to avoid leading with lead bullets is to powder coat, but that a whole different ballgame. You still have to resize your lead bullets so they are. 002" larger. Also, your lead bullets must be free of lubricants  so the powder coat will adhere properly.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 02:53:01 PM »
Louie - That is the reason why I reload down a lot...a slow accurate round is better than a faster un-accurate round....I do like Berger (all Copper) Bullets. it seems like you can push the speed up 10% without scarifying your accuracy....but over the years have had great success with the old Sierra GK bullets and the old Hornady's and Speer bullets and just about any lead bullets....I also have some moly-bullets from the past...wow talk about dating yourself.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
The only experience I have with Berger Bullets is with  87 grain in .243. Your right Bo. They are fast and accurate. Last time pdog hunting I was cutting them in half at 400 yards. Can't wait to see how they do on deer.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 08:53:31 PM »
Roger, when shooting lead, fit is king. Hardness becomes a factor if you try to push the lead bullets too fast. Your lead bullet should measure about. 002" larger than the groove diameter.  You shouldn't try to push lead bullets as fast as jacketed.  One way to avoid leading with lead bullets is to powder coat, but that a whole different ballgame. You still have to resize your lead bullets so they are. 002" larger. Also, your lead bullets must be free of lubricants  so the powder coat will adhere properly.
Thanks for that insight Louie - I'm heading down to the bench in a few minutes, will be checking groove diameters vs. the lead bullets I have.  I currently don't have a resizer for the bullets.  For some reason I had it in my head that a lead bullet above 1100-1200 fps would be prone to bore leading, but as I looked into it today, it seems the tipping point is much higher than that.  Do you have a feel for what speed is problematic, assuming I have the fit you described above?
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 05:20:37 PM »
Roger, if you have the correct fit, and your bore is smooth, without roughness, you could easily get 1000-1200 fps without leading. If your alloy is hard, you may go a little higher.
I can't tell you how much higher, no experience beyond that. My suggestion is that you do a search for castboolits.gunloads.com, and start browsing there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:25:22 PM by MichiganLouie »
NRA Life Member.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad