New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: cabelas saga finally over  (Read 286 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
cabelas saga finally over
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
so here is the recap:

I sent the cabelas 1200 rubber boots back in april. I was told if they won't warranty them they would send them back. instead, 3 weeks later I got a check for $25. they figured that was all they were worth after 5-6 years. keep in mind I only wear these when the temp gets below 32 degrees, so maybe 10 times/year. these aren't every day boots. so basically I got 60 days use, 2 months, and that's the life of the boot. what a pile of lies. their 'lifetime warranty' isn't realistic at all

I called 5/14 and they said the boots were destroyed. they took no responsibility for the bad info about sending them back. they offer $50 and I said I want the boots as promised. then they wouldn't return emails. I threatened going to the BBB. no response.

I gave it time, still no answer. I finally filled out the complaint w/ BBB. 2 days later, I get an email from cabelas saying they found the boots and would send them back. THIS WAS A MONTH AFTER THEY WERE 'DESTROYED'. they arrived in the mail today

the next time you buy a cabelas brand w/ a 'lifetime warranty' think twice. cabelas isn't the same company it was.

the boots were $130 boots, no big deal. I spent way more time on this than $130 worth, but it was the fact they lied TWICE. it was a classic bait and switch. that stuff just makes my blood boil.  be careful
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

TalkHunting Community

cabelas saga finally over
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: cabelas saga finally over
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:52:31 AM »
Yari - Thanks for the post and the story behind it....yea, destroyed...yea right, it just goes to show you that the Bass Pro people have taken over the jobs once held by good workers at Cabelas...(talking about the old timers)....yea we and I'm talking about Split Toe, Deerhead, Metalman, Jap51, Cobbguy and a few others that are not members sit around the camp at night in the cook shack and compared notes on clothes and boots and everything in-between....

We all like the old Cabela's brand long before Bass Pro bought them out....Wow sorry to hear about your problems. It just go to show you that when you get big, you forget about the little guy - like us....Thanks for your story and post....Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 07:44:44 AM »
It's amazing how quickly customer support people will lie to get someone to go away.  I guess it's successful so they keep doing it.  Not too many of us are bullheaded enough to stick with it.  I should mention though that I recently had good service from Weber on a new grill I bought, and also from AR15Discount.com on an availability issue with a recent order. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 09:30:33 AM »
I mentioned before, I had great service from Gore-Tex's lifetime warranty. I had a pair of danner boots that leaked and they stood by their product 100%

from now on, I by from the direct brand, not cabelas made by someone else. I will buy lacrosse, danner….
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »
A few years ago I was at Cabela's in Wheeling, WV and just out of curiosity I asked if they still carried the Cabela's Iron Ridge Boot. I have a pair and have had them for more years than I can remember and they still fit great and keep me warm (800 gram). At the end of the season I use mink oil on them and they still look like new. I just wanted to see how much they cost then. The lady that was working in the footwear dept. said no, since Bass Pro bought them those boots were discontinued. Funny that I still see them advertised several years later in their catalogs! She told me that with some authority and didn't say she thought they were being discontinued ort maybe but that they were. Hmmm?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 05:39:37 PM »
And glad they finally did something! I always thought the Better Business Bureau didn't do a whole lot. Someone told me once they will record your complaint but didn't have the power to do anything about it. Maybe I got bad advice.

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 05:46:36 PM »
And glad they finally did something! I always thought the Better Business Bureau didn't do a whole lot. Someone told me once they will record your complaint but didn't have the power to do anything about it. Maybe I got bad advice.

they sure followed through on this issue. I would use them again w/o hesitation
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:47 PM »
I've used them a couple of times.  I don't think they necessarily have any authority, but they can create some negative visibility for a given company if they don't respond to a BBB inquiry.  Once someone ticks me off, I have a bit of an ornery streak and don't feel too bad about being a pain in their backside even if I don't get anything out of it.  Probably not the best demonstration of Christian behavior . . .  ##$%#13

I worked for over 30 years for a company that is frequently used as a benchmark for customer service by others worldwide.  Without question there were times we stubbed our toe, but when that happened we generally bent over backwards to make it right.  When I get involved with companies that have bad customer service it really gets my blood pressure up.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
mad-when it becomes a 'principle issue', then I take the gloves off. this is the first time I used the BBB. you can't flat out lie and not make it right. it was horrible customer service/lies   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
Sometimes it just depends who you speak to as well. I did customer service for a hospital/physician supply company for a number of years. There was another older, kind of grumpy and rough personality woman that also did it in the next cubicle. I have always been over the top in customer service and always tried to listen to the people that called. Get to know them and our company policy was to engage with them, if it was feasible and they were willing and you could sense if they were or not. I would jot down notes of ailments they had or if they mentioned their dog was sick and keep them in my rolodex. Next time they called I asked them how they were feeling and if the dog was doing better and they appreciated it. It got to the point that when the customer call came in and the other woman got the call, they wanted to speak to me instead. This made her very unhappy and made snide remarks about why they wouldn't speak to her. She didn't like me much either! I'm not saying this to boast but just to point out it takes all kinds and not everybody gives a hoot about your problem, although that's their job. I called Truglo awhile back because I needed advice on ordering the fiber optic pieces for my shotgun sight. They said no problem and sent some out for free to me. For me, it's not always the dollar value, although that does factor in our response, it was their concern about a little fiber optic that I needed. Just my two cents again!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
BC - the co-worker you mentioned is one that shouldn't be in a role like that.  The manager over the area should recognize that quickly and put someone else at the desk.  I ran one of those teams for a couple of years, and it's obvious that the people calling in quickly develop an appreciation for good support.  We had a very solid crew, but regularly rotated in new people.  Many of the customers would get nervous right away when they couldn't speak to their preferred rep, but if the new person did their job well, they'd win them over quickly.
and enjoy it!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:13 PM »
I think the immediate supervisor saw what was going on but she had been there a lifetime and knew her business but maybe not her customers. And as you know, those two aspects have to work together to make it happen the way it is supposed to. I was just trying to treat people he way I would like to be treated.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 09:53:38 PM »
As we all should BC, well done!  The folks that worked for me always knew at review time we were going to have a conversation about not only "what" got done, but "how" as well.  Getting lots of results but doing it in a way that left lots of destroyed relationships didn't get the employee high marks.  Obviously with humans being human sometimes friction happens, but when it becomes the normal approach, it has to be dealt with or you face having it spiral out of control, becoming a culture for the whole group.  Kinda like letting a bunch of domestic terrorists burn and pillage your city for a couple of months without taking action (hypothetically of course).
and enjoy it!

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »
Of course! When I worked for physicians as an office manager, I interviewed lots of people for the position to not only see their clinical or office credentials, but who they were as a person. I had some questions that opened them up and started conversations that I learned a lot about them, some for the good and others, not so much.  i had one lady as my finalist until, during these conversations about office politics, she told me the doctor she worked for was having an affair with so and so and guess, what? She didn't get the position. Once hired, I had developed a policy of what was expected from them and what would happen if that didn't happen. I had a first written warning, then a second warning and on the third incident, they were done. I had a lady in my office on a Friday with her second notice and with a clear understanding that with a third warning, it would be over. I wasn't nasty with anyone but I had standards that I wanted followed. Well, come Monday she had her third incident and I called her in and reminded her of our conversation on Friday. I then explained to her that we would no longer need her. I always thought it important to make sure the expectations were clearly explained and consequences when not followed. I never wanted it to be personal but when you are not carrying your weight, it falls on the other office employees that are. If you do nothing, then you lose the respect of those are working hard. That's just the way I did it.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 11:43:59 AM »
Yep!
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad