New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for Thursday 6-17-2020 - Part 1 of 2  (Read 156 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for Thursday 6-17-2020 - Part 1 of 2
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:22 AM »
Let me premise this by saying - it was interesting day out there...set 4 - 24X24 inch targets up at 50 yards and 2 - 24x24 inch plus 4 - 8x11 inch targets up at 100 yards....not sure about some of these rifles. Let the house at 10:30 and start time for the shooting commenced at 11:10 AM and went to 2:50 PM. Temperature start out at 71.5 and went to 80.2 when I left....humidity was decreasing slightly from 55.52% down to 45%. The wind was steady from the north west....so the range runs east being the target area and run to west that is where the positions are located....but the winds were 2 to 7 mph surprisingly make it a very comfortable to shoot...the elevation is 804 at the top of the benches and there was no mirage at all to speak of...at 200 and 300 yards,k you could see that it was starting when I left the range.....

First one out of the case was the Savage M220, the 20 gauge slug gun using this week the 3" long Remington Accutips - they shoot much better than the Hornady 2 3/4" shells did....just look at the 50 yard targets, next week (or next time I take it to the range) will out to the 100 yard....see attached pix....

Second on was the Mossberg Patriot 308 Win, just got this one in this week and decided to take, everything I have read about this rifle is really bad....so I wasn't expecting much out of it maybe just 2 MOA......but I ran out of ammo before I finally could get it on paper....and I bore sited it before I shot it and made sure that the it was on paper at 50 yards...I had loaded up 9 shots for it, the first three were off the target so I kept moving it down until the 4th round finally got on paper....so here are the final 6 rounds, getting there but it is a pain....targets was at 50 yards....next time I take it to the range hopefully will about to take it out to 100 yard and tweak it there....

Third one out of the case was the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC....not it is a shooter!! see target below...was not sure about this rifle so I set up a 24x24 inch target at 100 yards...wow how can two rifle be so different....the 308 Win is a work in progress and the 6.5 PRC, using Hornady factory 147 gn ELD-X bullet, shot lights out...see targets..wow...did move it over and down an inch after shooting it...have a Vortex Viper scope on it....Will take it to the range again in a couple of weeks....

Next one up was the Bergara 308 Win, Deerhead was right they are accurate....wow...see target, last one for this post. Was trying some experimental 168 Gn Nosler Ballistic Tip using the Varget 46.22 gn with the Lapua brass and CCI-BR2 primer...seat it out to 2.8511 inches works very well as you can tell.....This is the second time I have shot the Bergara 308 Win....but it is the Bergara B14 HMR SP version.....all the SP stands is that it has an 18" barrel on it and with the Bergara Muzzle Brake ST1 it comes to about 20" long...barrel has 1/10" twist in it....

Next post is the Bergara 6.5 Creedmoor B14 HMR and some range picutures....

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 06:55:06 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results for Thursday 6-17-2020 - Part 1 of 2
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:43:22 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: Range Results for Thursday 6-17-2020 - Part 1 of 2
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
Looks like you are getting them dialed in. The range time is doing you very well.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:01 PM »
good to see the 220 results came in. nice
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »
Now that I had review the targets and have a day to think about things, I am in the process of doing some trigger adjusting now on the Bergara and the Mossberg...the Savage, tweak it down to 2.5 lbs this morning was set at 4.5 lbs from the factory....5 pulls provided me with the info....I am using the Lyman Electronic Trigger Pull gage to check it out....did a bunch of Savage's today probably half dozen of them...

Will do the the Bergara and Mossberg triggers tomorrow.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 03:46:21 PM »
Bo

The Mossberg's are really looking good!  If the 308 holds up like I thing it will be a shooter too.  The 6.5 is a nice surprise.  That's a nice group!  The Savage 220 did nicely for the 1st time out.  Hope those Remington's stay true.  There there's the Bergara.  Its amazing how they continue to produce such an accurate rifle at a good price point.  Now you can step up and pay a lot more if you want to but why. 

Thanks for sharing!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »
Deerhead - thanks to your tip about Bergara 7 or 8 years ago...LOL...yes they are a good bargain for the money and such a good price point!!.....I'm now in the market for a Bergara B14 (plain one this time) in the 6.5 CM....I have two already but need a light weight back up...My first 6.5 CM was the Savage 10 BA Stealth, impressive rifle, the first hand loads I loaded up for it shot through the same hole (well almost) at 200 yards....it has a 26" barrel and the box can hold 10 rounds...this would make a great long range gun....the only draw back is that it is heavy and sort of awkward to handle and carry in the woods...The second one is the Bergara B14 HMR...they rifle is phenomenal. It is accurate, simple and very flexible....it too has one drawn back, it is heavy hunting rifle and like the Savage 10BA Stealth, it is almost too heavy to be a hunting rifle...You know where I hunt and in a matter of seconds you have got to make a decision quickly!! so I am looking for a short light weight 6.5 CM......

I also have eye on a Christensen Arms 308...it is short (16") fiber wrapped barrel with a Christensen Arm muzzle brake at the end of the short barrel, the model no is     Christensen Arms B.A. Tactical VTAC 6.5 Creedmoor 16"....it is light quick handling, has a box magazine AICS style....but the price is up there a shade over $2K...

Be good thanks for the comments and inputs....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad