New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: AR pistol build  (Read 555 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
AR pistol build
« on: June 15, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »
Started collecting parts to create a 9mm AR15 pistol build.  I was thinking about getting a side charging upper and dedicated 9 mm lower, but remembered I already had some conventional upper
(a slick side upper, no forward assist) and lower hardware in hand so will start with that.  Got my 11" barrel, handguard, bolt carrier group and blast deflector today, so will get started.  The brace, buffer, and recoil spring will be here later this week.  Only thing left to acquire is a couple of Endomag conversions for Pmags and it'll be ready to go.   
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

AR pistol build
« on: June 15, 2020, 08:33:32 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: AR pistol build
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 08:56:29 PM »
the libs in ILL aren't going to like that. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:26:36 PM »
Yeah Yari, figured I better get things together now before King JellyBean issues a royal proclamation against such shenanigans.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 06:13:30 AM »
Mad - Thanks for the photo, it really helps one to understand....looks like a neat project....what about the trigger and getting about the BATF?? plan on register it?? I know you can get a drop in trigger without much to do about nothing.....

Please keep us informed about your progress and results of it......

Yari - I don't understand Illinois at all, I guess the libs (democrats) want to take all you guns away and let you guys use just crossbows and compounds....Wow that sucks...the southern half of the state is where the big deer at!! They (Illinois) need to do what Michigan does, it divides the state into two part, the upper or northern part you can use centerfire rifles where as the lower or southern part can only use muzzle loader, shot guns and bows....right Louie?? Please correct this if I am wrong....

Sorry about that...Kentucky, just over the river from yawl does allow centerfire rifles and they too have some big deer...for 7 years went up there on a deer hunt with a service and saw a ton of deer up there....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »
Roger, what used to be the shotgun only zone has evolved into the limited firearm area. Rifles in. 35 cal or larger are allowed. Cartridge must be straight wall, between 1.16" and 1.8" in length. ML's, and shotguns are still legal. This is only for deer hunting.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 09:38:40 AM »
bo- Wi went goofy and made the entire state rifle, even in the metro areas. i never was comfortable shooting a rifle around here. that's part of the reason for the 220 i bought
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:40:35 PM »
Finished my pistol build a little bit ago, will post a photo shortly. 

Bo, there are no BATF issues (today) with this firearm.  This is truly a pistol by their definitions.  When you see the photo, that thing which looks like a collapsible "stock" is actually a brace, not intended to be fired from a shoulder position.  If that was a stock, this would then be a rifle, actually a "Short Barreled Rifle" per BATF definitions, and would require a tax stamp.  I was really shocked a couple of years ago when BATF put an official statement out saying that the braces were legal on pistols, provided the gun is only shouldered with the brace on rare occasions.  I suspect this position to be very vulnerable should a less gun friendly president take over the White House. 

I had a mil spec trigger on hand, so that's what's in it now.  I had done some polishing on it, so it's better than average.  I will probably pick up a Rise Armament drop-in as soon as they go on sale again (about $90, great trigger).

As for the deer in Illinois:  The majority of big bucks come out of the river bottoms, heavily concentrated of course along the Mississippi, Illinois, and Kaskaskia rivers.  The western side of the state, rather than the southern half, is the prime area.  We have big deer killed in every part of the state, but the eastern half is mostly open ag area, and harvest numbers are pretty low compared to the river basin counties.  Pike County along the Mississippi is the top producing county, Fulton County just to the west of me is another big one (Illinois river).  Would love to see Illinois allow straight walled centerfire rifles for deer, but our elected officials (primarily Democrats) won't bring the conversation to the floor.  (Proposals similar to the Indiana/Iowa/Michigan practices were made)  Until then I'll keep hammering with my smokepoles and pistols.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:42:16 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »
Here's a photo of the completed (almost) AR9 pistol.  The last thing I need to do is get a couple Endomag conversions which will allow me to use a standard AR15 Pmag for 9mm.

I had quite a bit of AR15 hardware on hand (slick side upper receiver, standard AR15 lower, lower parts kit, pistol grip, and red dot), so bought the barrel, brace, bolt carrier group, buffer, spring, handguard, and blast can. The barrel is 11", the brace is a Tailhook Mod 2 (collapsible, vs the Mod 1 which is fixed.) I like the feel of it, will do some single shot firing with it tomorrow to get the red dot zeroed.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:14:33 PM »
nice work. enjoy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
Here's a decent video (6 minutes) describing the Tailhook Mod 2 brace.  My build is pretty similar to his in overall length.  With the red dot, at least so far, it's tough to acquire the dot with a one-handed hold (hook extended).  Holding it with the brace on your cheek provides an excellent sight picture.  Still looking for a rail mount laser for it for defensive use, as that would alleviate any eye alignment issues with the red dot.  I put a heavy buffer (7.5 oz) and heavy recoil spring in mine, so with that and 9 mm I'm expecting my recoil to be much less than what you see in this guy's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aUSW8_VyxY
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »
Looks good have fun .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 05:02:10 AM »
Very Nice!!

You will have fun with that
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 07:17:43 AM »
Good job!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
I put about 20 rounds through the AR9 this morning, only made small adjustments after boresighting to get it on the money at 25 yards.  I had to fire it as a single shot since I haven't gotten my endomag conversion yet. The gun is very consistent and no recoil to speak of - so far so good!
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 07:19:02 PM »
I imagine it really drops off after 25 yards being a 9mm
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER