New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Spotting Scopes  (Read 261 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Spotting Scopes
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:38:08 PM »
Right before I left, I grabbed the Little Vortex Razor 11-33X x 50mm spotter and put it in the truck. Already had the Swarovski 20-60X x 80mm in the truck, so I set up the both spotters up, one I had a tripod for and the other one had to put it on the table. Tell you folks, not much different between the two....except for the money I would go with the Vortex...the only difference is the field of view and a bit of more color rendition, but that is it...but the cost is $2000 grand versus $700, big difference....

And after packing up all the rifles and scope and waiting for the range to go cold to go pull my targets, a guy had pulled up Vortex Viper 20-60X x 85mm Spotter that I had to look through....it too was amazing but not as good as the Swarovski was but it was still amazing to look at those targets....

I also have a Konus Spotter, a 20-60X x 100mm....got it on sale for somewhere around $250. It is very impressive as well...but the darn thing is so long that is has a sliding mount so you can balance it to you tripod...will take it probably in a week or two and play with it at the range....Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Spotting Scopes
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:38:08 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Spotting Scopes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
todays glass is so much better than the 10+ year old glass. it's amazing what you get vs the old days
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »
I agree with you...the optics keep getting better and better as the years go by....my reference Bino (Swarovski 8X32 EL) and the newer Vortex are very close today but still the Swarovski's are my reference...same goes for the Spotter, I own the Swarvoski 20-60X x 80mm that I bought probably 10 to 12 years ago and they are still my reference standard....I also own the Zeiss 15x45X x 50mm straight black one. The Leupold's small Z shaped spotter, that is the gold rings model (also own the Leupold's vintage 10X42mm gold ring that are phonemically...the only thing is that they are heavy very heavy).....and an Konus that I purchased from Midway way back about 4 or 5 years ago for about $250 and it is surprisingly good quality...

Having said that, I do not own any Nightforce optics except for one SHV scope that is mounted on the 270 WSM McWhorter (both are a great combination)....everybody is making good optics these days...from Tract Optics to Leupold to Zeiss to Swarovski to Kahles to Doctor...any of these will set you back a pretty penny but it you can get your hands on a old Nikon, get it....they made good quality products for years and years...hate to see them get out of the business....

But Yari - I agree with you completely...just a matter of time before you can get a cheap range finder built into a good pair of binos....got a feeling that is the next market that will be a hot.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 09:40:36 AM »
I keep looking at Nightforce Spotting Scopes....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 05:33:53 AM »
Going to take the Zeiss Dialyt 18-45X x 65mm to the range today with me, last week it was the Swarovski Spotter, 20-60X x 80mm......

see the attached pic...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:35:29 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 06:15:31 AM »
Next week it will be the Konus 20-60X x 100mm yes a 100mm, got it for around $250...This isn't the first time I have taken it to the range and will take the Vortex 11-33X x 50mm to the range with it...for its max 100 yard range, do remember using it last year for 200 yards but that was a bit too far for it...but I was looking at targets and not scenery or animals or anything like that... should be an interesting time, with fat man and little boy spotting scope...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad