New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cleaning at the Range  (Read 243 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Cleaning at the Range
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
Took several new rifles with me to the range the past two weeks and did the break in method to each rifle....shot then looked down range at the target, tweaked the scope, then cleaned the rifle, used 2 wet patches followed by 4 dry patches...did this for the new rifles (the 6.5 PRC Mossberg) this week did the same thing for the Bergara 308, shot, looked down range through the spotting scope and then tweak the scope then start the cleaning process....the Bergara came back clean also every time....

After I got home on later on Thursday, I got out the targets and looked at them. Set the rifle in the gun vise and tweaked the scope if I had to, then proceeded to cleaned the rest of the rifles, except the new ones that I had, just ran a dry patch through them, before putting them in the gun safes.....

Would like to know your mention of cleaning you rifle after you go to the range.....

I do have a golf tee method, when I fire 3 shots I change color of the tee and put it in the barrel, any navy or black tees, the rifle has to be cleaned before it heads to the range with me again....and I scanned the dang-gum targets in late on Thursday night or very early Friday morning.....

But would like to know you thoughts and methods on cleaning your rifle....maybe we can learn something from each other....thanks...Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Cleaning at the Range
« on: June 13, 2020, 07:16:44 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Cleaning at the Range
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:59:31 AM »
 ##$%#13   ##$%#15  clean guns wtw did not know you had to clean them
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
I was wondering what methods you are using, cleaned three more today and will try and clean 3 tomorrow morning.....and go from there.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 09:02:49 PM »
I shoot maybe 2-3 guns at a time. I don't really have a system. I don't have a fraction of the guns you do. once a year they all get a once over and of course after every use. they are all in a safe w/ dehumidifier. knock on wood, I've never had a problem
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »
after shooting them I give them a cleaning and put them away till the next time I need them
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48:12 AM »
If I am just checking my zero I will shoot hopefully 1-2 shots so i count them as my fouling shots on rifles i will be hunting with. I don't have a system per say but after I hit the range I clean each gun that I took inside and out before putting them away. In off season like right now I will go through and wipe down every gun in the safe and check the bore. I have my turkey gun still out that needs a good deep cleaning before i put it up for the year.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:10:17 AM »
Blue - That is what I do as well....with different rifles have different fouling requirements...so takes 3 and some takes 5 or 6 rounds.....heck I have had one 22-250 Rem it takes about 15 round before it starts to come in!! and can shot it about 50 times before the groups will start to get larger and it will be time to clean it.....

I will count the fouling shots as shots down the barrel as well.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 09:23:45 AM »
Blue - That is what I do as well....with different rifles have different fouling requirements...so takes 3 and some takes 5 or 6 rounds.....heck I have had one 22-250 Rem it takes about 15 round before it starts to come in!! and can shot it about 50 times before the groups will start to get larger and it will be time to clean it.....

I will count the fouling shots as shots down the barrel as well.....
Wow!!!15 shots that is crazy to me Bo!! Most of mine are in the 2-5 range then they settle in nice.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad