New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out - first trip to the range  (Read 158 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out - first trip to the range
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »
First of all let me premise this buy saying you pay for what you get...this is a very inexpensive rifle.....not a Cooper or Bergara or a Blaser - but it works not well, but it does work....it felt like the trigger was very heavy compared to other trigger that I had out there but again it did shot very good....use the 135 gn Hornady Factory FTX bullets....should do the trick on deer....I will take it to the range again and again...had feeding issues and the magazine locks open after you shoot the last round....just like a semi auto...you have to remove it shut the bolt and then put the factory magazine back in.....

But is did not feed good, will apply some J&B Rubbing compound and work it in....and see what happens....will not send it back to the factory will try and fix the problems...did fix one of them but inserting a metal AR15 magazine in the factory magazine place and it work perfectly...no hang up....but will fill the factory magazine down so that it will close after you shoot the final round....

But the darn thing shoots pretty good...look at the targets..the first scan at 50 yards (remember its a 300 Blk Out) it did shot pretty good, had to adjust the Konus scope over to the right as I shot...but it did come in...remember the target that I am shooting at in 24" x 24" target, so it is big....and the second target at 100 yards shoot pretty tight at 100 yards...still after the mods that I am going to do on it will take this one to the range again....before putting the Ruger up, did some more to the right adjustments to the Konus scope and will also take this rifle back to the range again to see how it does....

One final note, have a Mossberg Patriot 308 coming in, its is not here now but shortly it will be, and it isn't an expensive rifle too, will compare the two rifle and check them out and will post it here.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out - first trip to the range
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:20:15 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out - first trip to the range
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
One thing I discovered is that the magazines are design to stop open at the last round....so I solve that problem by using the steel magazines that I had (and ordered today). the bullets fed into the camber better and smoother and it close after the magazine was empty. Using the factory magazine, had to release the magazine in order to close the bolt....also was using factory ammo to sight it in...so the pointed bullets should work better than the round noise and the magazine does have the length to accommodate the longer pointed bullets such as the Berger, Barnes and Nosler's......

So we will see, it worked today and I did add the J&B compound to smooth out the action....also did clean the little rifle and it took a bunch of patches to clean it...but it is done along with the Cooper M52 in 280 Rem and Bergara B14 in 308 Win.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 08:10:23 AM »
Nice weapon!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
Blue - Thanks hopefully it will shoot better the second time out in about 2 weeks...will keep you guys posted....I am currently using Hornady 135 gn FTX ammo....until it runs out then plan on reloading it myself with with the 125 gn Nolser Ballistic Tips.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »
Blue - Thanks hopefully it will shoot better the second time out in about 2 weeks...will keep you guys posted....I am currently using Hornady 135 gn FTX ammo....until it runs out then plan on reloading it myself with with the 125 gn Nolser Ballistic Tips.....
I am sure you can make hit Bo. Those Nolser ballistic Tips are nice bullets and should perform well.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »
Blue - Yea on the lower target at 100 yards shots 4,5 and 6 (see target) were no adjustments were made, they are close enough...will take the rifle to the range with me next week and do some adjustments then and there....

The Konus is working out well....the 1.5-6X x 40mm with the 30mm tube is the ideal scope for this small 300 Blk rifle....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad