New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 6-11-2020  (Read 333 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 6-11-2020
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
Well let me start this off by saying that it was a Great Day to go to the range, low temps 72 to 82 at the range with low humidity 55.5% and falling,winds were very light, had my wind meter out all day long and it came from the northwest to southeast breeze with it being less than 2 mph. The range was packed when I got there with all 8 positions were filled and it took me about 30 minutes longer to back into a parking space....but I got the last position (#8) saw what they were doing last week when I was doing my visits in between shots (letting the barrel cool down)....

Took the same four rifles that I took with me a couple of weeks ago, if you guys remember, I tried to go to the range last week twice with no luck...was there from 11 AM to about 3 PM....it was still nice when I left....the rifles I took was the old vintage Sauer 200 with the 25-06 barrel installed with it new Sig-Sauer Whiskey5 Scope. The next rifle if another vintage 300 WSM in the Blaser R93. This was the first time in about 10 years that I have shot it with it Swarovski 30mm 3-12X x 50mm scope...a nice one for sure....and the third was was the Cooper M52 in 280 Remington with it Leupold Scope VX6 2-12X, and Bergara B14 HMR SP in 308 Win with its Tract Optic Response 2.5-10x scope on it......

The next post will be of the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out with it Konus M30 1.5-6X....and a range photo of the Ruger Range Rifle in 300 Blk Out

But first the basic rifles....The 25-06 Rem in the Sauer 200, had the Sig Sauer scope set at 7X of the 9X power and shot the 117 gn Sierra GameKing bullets down range. I did adjustments after each of the first three then after third had to make some major adjustment and did not make a adjustment for shots 4 and 5.....I ran out of bullets...LOL...all I had was 5 of them left....will load up some more, clean the rifle and take it back to the range....

The next one shot was the Cooper M52 in 280 Rem with it Leupold VX6 2-12X scope....after looking at the previous target (#22) after I got home tonight it did shoot high, but did some height adjustments after the first three shots....then for shots 4 and 5 no adjustments needed! It shoots like it normally does. And the ejector worked perfectly on it. If you guys remembered that I had some extraction problems with it. It turned out to be the scope bases. Had to contact Talley in Santee, SC to buy some that it would fit, the picatinny rail that was made for a M52 was too short, yes too short, apparently worked with a guy there and he looked up the serial number and the production date (I got an early one) and had to send me a couple of two piece bases plus rings. Through the M52 Picatinny rail onto the pile just in case I might need it down the road....but it ejected great today with out any problems....will take this rifle to the range laser on during the year and do some tweaking to it....

The third one was the Blaser R93 in the 300 WSM, many years ago (10 yrs to be exact) was trying to get this rifle to come in and it did not like the 180 gn bullets at all, so I change power and bullets....was using the 180 gn Nosler BT and the IMR4350 Powder, but change to the 185 Berger VLD with the H4831 and you can see the results...its getting there, maybe after 50 rounds or so it will start to come in....but I will clean this rifle and take it to the range again....

The last rifle to this post is the Bergara B14 HMR SP with the ST1 muzzle brake...should have took some pictures of this rifle....but it shot the way a Bergara suppose to...accurately....and it did...after adjusting the first two shots, then settle down to shots 3, 4 and 5 very good....it is like his big brother the 6.5 CM it shoots and looks good...

In short, need to look and do a trigger adjustments of some of them, clean all of them...don't like a trigger pull over 3 lbs...just me....check the scope bases and rings if I can get to them and clean the scope with a Zeiss cloth...oil them down a bunch....and put most of them back into the safes....

Now the fun part is tomorrow to clean all 5 rifles and to start of some reloading for some.....enjoy....Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 6-11-2020
« on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:04 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
Re: Range Results 6-11-2020
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:07:40 AM »
Bo

It is truly amazing at how accurate Bergara rifles are.   @--0--0117 Who told you about them? 
That group is sold.  Matter of fact every group you have shot with your Bergara have been really consistent. 
But the Cooper and Blaser did not disappoint either. 

Looks like a fun day at the range!   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 09:30:04 AM »
looks good. you didn't try the savage 220?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
Deerhead - Years ago, had to been at least 10 years ago, when Bergara was part of CVA (don't know if they still are, and they were furnishing barrel for the CVA Muzzle Loaders). Back then CVA and Bergara were next door to were Deerhead works and Deerhead did mention that he had a friend that he met and they talked about this up and coming B14....humm...it was a secret then, a big secret....Deerhead could see it and touch it but could not take it out of his friend's office....this was top secret...he did mention it to me....

I met Doug Shilen one time on a plane from Dallas to Atlanta, he was on his way to pitch an anti-sniper rifle to the Army located in at Ft Benning, near Columbus GA....I still have his business card that Doug gave me on the plane...that was years before he went over to Bergara, Spain to help them produce the quality barrel like the did years ago. I saw a special on Bergara barrels and in that special that they mention that if it were not for Doug Shilen, they would still be in the dark about their barrels!! I bet 20 years ago got my first of many Shilen in a limited production DGA which Doug's farther, Ed Shilen who started the company. of the DGA Series they only made around 3000 of them....

Anyway it is a small world that we do live in.....thanks Deerhead for the introduction, never knew that many years later that I would own two Bergara Rifles, both made in Spain - a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308 Win....the only difference I can see in them is the shorter barrel that the 308 has.....

Yari - did not take the Savage 220 to the range, nor did I take the Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 PRC....I will take the 6.5 PRC as soon as the Mossberg 308 Gets in here and it is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon...will pick it up on Monday or Tuesday.....

One note about the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 Blk Out, I ordered this morning 3 more steel magazines that holds 10 round each....have one of them now....got in this past week 3 more plastic AR15 magazines and the all have the same problem, this will not close on the last round, tried all of them....but order them from Midway and they should be in here next Wednesday at the latest...so there is a feed problem in their design.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad