New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Mossberg Patriot - 308 Win  (Read 280 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Mossberg Patriot - 308 Win
« on: June 05, 2020, 06:28:57 PM »
Most of you think I'm a little off my rocker anyway, so I have added a Mossberg Patriot 308 Winchester to the collection. I forget exactly how many 308's that I own but there is a bunch of them...anyway, this isn't Cooper or a Remington or a Savage...it is like the Ruger Ranch rifle, that I picked up in 300 Black Out....I think with the scope and rings and muzzle brake I have gotten about $600 in the whole thing. I feel like with the transfer fees and the shipping and insurance I probably have in it about $500 without the scope, it does come with a Picatinny Rail just like it big brother the 6.5 PRC....looks just like it (the 6.5 PRC) with the camo and barrel contour and will add a Stoner Muzzle Brake to it.....

I will mount a Vortex Scope on it or a Leupold Freedom not sure which currently...do like the Vortex and the Cant Level that I will add to it.....range results will follow....should shoot decent at 100 yards...be we will see.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Mossberg Patriot - 308 Win
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
we had the Mossberg patriot at the store another one that did not sell much 308 was not a high seller in the area not sure why
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »
Dave - Thanks for the info, I don't any high hopes for the Mossberg for accuracy goes, but one never knows. I will try the 155 to start with then will go down to the 125 and slow the bullet down some, this should reduce the barrel whipping around and should improve the accuracy of it....the 125 is good enough in 308 to kill any deer on the plant at the distance I plan to hunt with it....which is 100 yards or so....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:47:00 PM »
enjoy bo. the good news is now you have A backup @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »
Yari - Thanks.....

Decided to put a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X x 44mm on it, 1 inch tube...along with a Vortex Can't Level and Vortex Rings (Tally style)....I think I have put a Vortex Cant Level on all the scopes except a few, but have put them on all of the Vortex, Nikon, Leupold, Sightron, and Bushnell.....

Hopefully it will be in next week....I will post some pictures of the Mossberg/Vortex 308 Win when I get finish with it.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 08:03:16 PM »
If I can get one MOA at a 100 yards out of this inexpensive rifle I will be a happy camper...

Date: 6-10-2020 - All the articles that I have read lately about the Mossberg leave out one thing...its accuracy!!...sure they hint around that it shoots about one MOA but that could be anything from two inches down to a half inch group.....but having said that, I have a Mossberg 4X4 in 223 that is super accurate...I use the Black Hill Ammo in it, the 77 grain and the darn thing shoots half inch at 100 yards....put a Vortex CF2 scope on it. I got it to shoot coyotes or other things during work weekend...I will take it to the range with me a couple of time during the year to verify the accuracy of it...had it about 5 to 7 years now....but the darn things shoots so good. I will put a 10 round magazine in it and should be ready for almost anything during work weekend...that is in late August, when it is especially hot and muggy....   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:26:03 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 06:27:44 PM »
Went ahead today and resized, trimmed and clean the brass for the new Mossberg Patriot 308 and loaded it up some 150 gn Nosler Ballistic Tips, using 46.22 gns of Varget, using Nosler Brass and CCI-BR2 primer and seating it to the 2.810 depth and go from there....also got in the AR Stoner Muzzle Brake and crusher washer...all we need now is the rifle it self to show up.

According to the tracking number, it should be in tomorrow and will go by and pick it up from my FFL on Monday or Tuesday and the head to the range next Wed or Thur......

wish me luck.....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
Here are some pics of the Mossberg Patriot 308 Win next to the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC....they are sitting next to the Bergara's - the 308 and the 6.5 Creedmoor.....

Mossberg 308 has a Vortex CF2 4-12X x 44.....a can't level and Tally inspire rings by Vortex....enjoy.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:04:41 AM »
Here are some pics of the Mossberg Patriot 308 Win next to the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC....they are sitting next to the Bergara's - the 308 and the 6.5 Creedmoor.....

Mossberg 308 has a Vortex CF2 4-12X x 44.....a can't level and Tally inspire rings by Vortex....enjoy.....
Looks at home Bo hope it hits for you.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 03:16:00 PM »
Blue - Yea me too...I don't give it my hope for anything under 2 inch groups...will try different ammo in it from 125 gn to 180 gn...something's gotta work in it...to bring it under the 2" MOA that I am hoping to get...I don't have much hope for it....

The pictures I posted of the Mossberg 308 with it Vortex CF2 4-12X x 44mm is bad, while I was bore sighting the CF2 notice that it did not move no matter how much I turn the windage and elevation knobs, it just froze there....so I swap it out for a working Nikon Prostaff 5 it is a 2.5-10X with a BDC reticule in it....have not taken any picture of it yet...will try and do so at the range tomorrow.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2020, 06:43:31 AM »
Well so far, nothing has been proved one way or another....the Mossberg Patriot did not disappoint....look at the target and you be the judge for yourself...ran out of ammo trying to get this on paper, which I finally did, at 50 yards...wow, it was not even close to being bore sited....but the first three shots was not even on paper at 50 yards and believe me it was a big 24" x 24" (C size) target!!

Brought it home and cleaned it and did some more reloading....loaded up another 10 rounds...was/am disappoint in myself and once I got the Mossberg home, did check the bore-siter and it was OK a little off but still OK, it should have been on paper, but it wasn't. The range tells you a lot of things about your firearm(s), everybody knows this...

This rifle goes to show you that each rifle has its own personality!! The Mossberg Patriot in the 6.5 PRC shot lights out, it could be the next tac-driver that I have....and the Mossberg Patriot in the 308 Win is anything but that....it could be a tac-driver but this is going to be a long battle to make it that - if I can....currently have loaded up 10 - 165 gns Sierra Game King rounds up. For this rifle I am using Match brass but its not Lapua that I am reloading up.....we will see what the summer holds for the Mossberg 308.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2020, 07:28:19 AM »
I hate it when that happens, especially at 50 yards. that's when a good spotter comes in handy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 07:42:12 AM »
Yari - Had my Zeiss Dialyt with me at the range.....and you are right...a good spotter will force you to get up and look at take some time up so your barrel will cool down....surprisingly after 7 to 10 minutes between shots, the barrel did not get hot as one might expect it too....and after adjusting the scope some, the is adequate time because it is a lighter thinner barrel on the Mossberg 308 than the Bergara HMR SP 308.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2020, 07:17:18 AM »
Well - I tweaked this rifle and used a different ammo was using the 165/168 Nosler BT...I was using the old Sierra 2130, a Flat Base 308 Spitzer along with the Viht 140 and you guys can see what happen!! Yesterday loaded up the last 24 bullets of the 150 gn, 308, Sierra 2130...so late last night ordered another 4 boxes of 100 each box from Midway.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point