New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Silencers - the good and the bad  (Read 248 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Silencers - the good and the bad
« on: May 31, 2020, 07:00:13 AM »
Was at the range last week when a shooting buddy or mine pulled out his AR and put his Silencer on it...wow was it quiet, then he pulled out his Ruger 10/22 and put his silencer on it...a different one of course, and with the combination of his sub sonic ammo and the silencer it was the sound of someone spitting and that was it....we and one other guy who had ventured down...and then we all pulled off all of our hearing protection and then fired the 22 !! it was amazing how quiet it was...

His AR style rifle with the silencer on it was long an bulky....boy if you got one of those for your 22" or 24" rifle it sure would make it long!! could you still use it out of a blind?? would you want to?? I can see where the longer more thicker silencer would cost you a deer or two if you were hunting out of a ladder stand and you had to take it from a resting position to a firing position, the extra movement the deer would pick up on....

We had a police officer that hunted with us for a couple of years and he use a Rem bolt action 300 Black out and he had a silencer on it....he shot a couple of deer with it and when he shot nobody got on the radio or phone (texting) asking who shot...it was that quiet, the only way we knew he had shot when he came back to camp and ask for help in retrieving his deer.....

But was on the Silencer Shop web page this morning and sure enough saw his (my shooting buddy) silencer on it....he got a quick detachable mounts so he could switch rifles with it......wonder if you need to carry the paper work with you at all times since it is considered a class three firearm??

He (my shooting buddy) had gotten his son a Ruger 10/22 that I had never seen before, it had the adjustable comb on it and had a bull barrel...and its silencer was the same diameter as the barrel was, so it look good with it....but the combination silencer and the sub sonic ammo was incredible quiet....amazing.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Silencers - the good and the bad
« on: May 31, 2020, 07:00:13 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Silencers - the good and the bad
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:44 AM »
Gallery of Guns had one but it was out of stock - but here are the specs on it...always wanted a Ruger 10/22.....

UPC:    736676311200
Description:    RUG 10/22 COMP 22LR 10R GRAY T
Brand:    Ruger
Model:    10/22 Custom Shop Competition Model TALO
Type:    Rifle: Semi-Auto
Caliber:    22LR
Finish:    Black
Action:    Semi-Automatic
Stock:    Speckled Black|Gray Laminate
Sight:    No Sights
Barrel Length:    16.12
 Overall Length:    36
Weight:    6 lbs
Capacity:    10+1
# of Mags:    1
Safety:    Cross-bolt Safety
Receiver:    Picatinny Rail
Features:    30 MOA Picatinny Rail;
Fully Adjustable Cheek Rest, Match Bolt Release

Fount out the price - Ouch at - $900....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 07:15:38 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:03:14 AM »
I bought a Savage B22 FVSR for use with a suppressor.    The sound of impact is greater then the sound from firing it.  It's awesome.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 02:55:06 PM »
Alas, in the wonderful state of Illinois there is no way to legally own a silencer (just one of hundreds of items on the list of stupidity in this state).  I've looked into the federal process Bo, and to answer your question about paperwork, I'm under the impression that you should have it with you, at least in your gun case at the vehicle if you're out hunting with one.  MIB can probably tell us for sure if he has one.  They aren't cheap, and then you still have to apply for the tax stamp ($200?) Just to possess the thing.  At least they allow you to move it from one gun to another, so for example a person had a few dozen .308s you would only have to buy one can and one stamp.  Hypothetically speaking of course, cause no one would have dozens of .308s. 🙄
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
I looked at them for my .300 and just about choked. i'll stick w/ the walker ear muffs
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 07:16:34 AM »
Alas, in the wonderful state of Illinois there is no way to legally own a silencer (just one of hundreds of items on the list of stupidity in this state).  I've looked into the federal process Bo, and to answer your question about paperwork, I'm under the impression that you should have it with you, at least in your gun case at the vehicle if you're out hunting with one.  MIB can probably tell us for sure if he has one.  They aren't cheap, and then you still have to apply for the tax stamp ($200?) Just to possess the thing.  At least they allow you to move it from one gun to another, so for example a person had a few dozen .308s you would only have to buy one can and one stamp.  Hypothetically speaking of course, cause no one would have dozens of .308s. 🙄

You have to carry a copy of the stamp with you where ever you take it, whenever you use it.  It can be used on multiple guns.   Mine is specific for .22lr, it it s not designed or constructed with materials that would stand up to use with .223/5.56.

NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 06:13:05 AM »
Yari - I don't plan on getting one (a silencer) right now, will take the Ruger Ranch Rifle in 300 BO to the range just to get it on paper.....it currently has one of those cheap $20 30 Caliber off of Amazon on the short barrel....sure it will heat up quickly...Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad