New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: It's June Already  (Read 500 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
It's June Already
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:05 AM »
Boys - it's June already...wow, were did the first part of the year go.....hunting season kicks off in what 4 1/2 months!! for the 2020 season.....better start laying everything out and getting them ready to go for the 2020 season....

Things that I will do - 1) is to visit the range more.....load up more ammo....take to the range what I plan on using on the deer....it helps to use the same ammo!!
2)Select the range finder and binoculars that will be use for the up and coming season....
3)Air out my hunting clothes and boots
4)Set up my blinds to make sure that they are tight and all parts are there and the tie down stakes and ropes are OK!!
5)Start reviewing the set up on my trail cameras to make sure they are in the picture mode and not the video mode....had 3 cameras out last year and this coming year will put out about 5 or 6 of them
6) Sharpen the Knives (that is why there is no hair on my arms or legs that time of year !!
7) Make sure the Truck is in good shape (have two back tires that have a slight air leak in them) and ready to go....give it the once or twice over!! got to get an oil change in it and maybe a couple of new tires....
8) Do I need to order anything for the camp or camper?
9) Go by Sams and buy some Paper Towels, Toilet Paper, Paper Plates and Bowls, Plastic Forks Spoons and Knifes, Charcoal....etc...
10) Be sure to go to early voting and vote for Trump again....

These are my top 10 things to do before hunting season....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

It's June Already
« on: May 30, 2020, 07:23:05 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: It's June Already
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:24:03 AM »
Good luck on finding paper towels and toilet paper-----  Plan ahead !  ##$%#1114
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Online Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 05:25:57 AM »
Good luck on finding paper towels and toilet paper-----  Plan ahead !  ##$%#1114

We went over to our favorite Bo Jangles for some chicken Friday night.  Since before we both retired, Friday she does not cook.  Needed gas and there is a Dollar General there that used to be a mini Wal-Mart, so it is about 3-4 times larger than the other ones.  You should have see here face coming out with TP and paper towels.  She had a mask on and I could still tell she was smiling.  Have not found any since March.  She had a 12 pack of TP and 2 tri-packs of paper towels.  She had a bottle of wine and got carded over it, which also made her day!   @--0--0105
We have a Great Grandson which made our 48 year old son a Grandfather.   @--0--0119
I keep my cameras up year round.  Best still hunting is just behind my house.  Then 8 miles away with the in-laws on some land we lease.  Then 60 miles away for my dog hunting club.  I stay ready!   ##$%#113

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:57:21 AM »
Sounds like a great date night with your wife PJ, congrats!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
I was up to the cabin. i'm in good shape to plant this fall, I was so far behind the 8 ball last year, I didn't want a repeat. the weeds got 8' tall in my plots last year. what a mess.

i'm going to be busy. WI bear w/ my daughter, AZ elk, WI deer and SD deer. in the mean time, get in elk shape. i'm down 10# so far and want another 10# before I leave. that would put me back to my college days. this will be my last AZ hunt, so I don't want to waste this chance
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 09:57:07 PM »
Yari - how soon is your bear hunt with Emily?
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 04:56:15 PM »
Nice plans all. Outlook is no hunting for me.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
Yari - how soon is your bear hunt with Emily?

it's in September(7th?) I will start the trips to bait 3-4 weeks ahead of time. it's a lot of work to prep properly
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 03:19:36 PM »
Buckone - LOL....we have three years of toilet paper and paper towels, last year brought a load down with me each trip I made...and piled it up, also everybody bringing down other paper products also...hopefully Kroger won't know that we did stock pile....LOL....

Yari - Looks like 2020 is going to be your and your family lifetime of memories - Hopefully....I did my 20 years out West and nail my Elk and Mule Deer, but never interested in bear hunting...the only reason why I would go back is for the Merriam (spelling?) turkey....and if that happens will have to go to Flordia for the Osceola...which would complete my grand slam....

Flintlock you can always hunt with us near Macon GA if you would like too.....we are becoming a social club...instead of a trophy hunting club....LOL...speaking for myself of course....LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
bo- with all that TP and towels, I sure hope you have them in a mouse, chipmunk, squirrel proof case otherwise they will love you @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:04:29 AM »
Yari - We don't or didnot have a field mouse problem, we had/have a larger rat problem....These are monster rats that can and we all have seen it at the club, the rats will literally take the traps with them...that is why we have to tie a nylon string to these larger traps so that the monster rats don't run off with the traps...yes we use peanut butter in all of our traps...but the larger rodents are not interested in the paper products at all, over the years we keep them up and dry off the floor and we haven't had a problem with them yet!! but that don't mean we won't have one when we get down there......

A few years ago when I first got down at the club, I remember a tiny field mouse running across my head the first night I was down there, so out comes the traps right then in the middle of the night and by morning had two of them dead in the traps....so I know one of the first things I do when I get down there is to check my camper for snakes and set traps for the mice....we killed a Copperhead about 20 yards from my camper last couple of years now....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 10:09:04 AM »
better mice running over your head than copperhead --7-8-9 --7-8-9
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
better mice running over your head than copperhead --7-8-9 --7-8-9
Amen to that!    If you can eradicate the mice though Bo, the copperheads may go elsewhere looking for an easy meal.  Man I hate snakes.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:36 PM »
Mad - I'm with you, I hate snakes also....but yes when we first got the club, black snakes were all over the place and now no more snakes, and they have been replace by rats, not mice but big suckers! the ones that require large traps that are tied down....a few years ago the rats were so big that they carry the trap off with them now we keep them tied down...I guess they ate the snakes! LOL....no, just kidding, but we still have snakes, the rat and black snakes, just the other year we did have a small copperhead that came after one of us on a Bobcat during Work Weekend. He was striking at the bucket on the front of the Bobcat...where is the snake shot when you need it....all we had was a 9mm semi-auto pistol and we did manage to hit him but the number of times that were pistol was shot is amazing. We hit the snake probably 2 or 3 time out of the 9 or 10 that was fired...we looked for others but we did not find any Copperheads!!....

But Mad, Like you I hate snakes, give me the field mice in the camper any day and peanut butter with regular size traps will take care of the problem....but snakes, I rather sleep in my truck (try to sleep in it) than deal with the snakes in the camper....

But June is half way over and soon it will be past the 4th of July and next thing you know it will be work weekend (probably Aug 27th thru the 30th), it has not been set yet.

And then 2020 deer season will be here and gone and then in Nov, our Prez gets re-elected again to finish out the year... -00-9
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
Boys and girls - it is middle of August and we are about a couple of weeks away from the GA Hunt Club annual mandatory work weekend...this is where we get there on Saturday and do the work we need...so of us will get down there on Thursday and will work Friday, Saturday and Sunday....Friday and Sunday work on stands and set up blinds and game trail cameras, but Saturday is all about getting the food plots plowed up, fertilizer and lime, then planted and dragged...and the No-Plow will be throw out on several food plots..

First things first, is getting the camper ready to sleep in...set the mouse traps is the first order of things, then getting the Honda generator set up and the fans going, and the unload the Yeti Coolers and water and then get the food into the another cooler that the mice cannot get into...they (the mice) should be hungry for some fresh peanut butter on the traps....yum...yum...

What surprised me last year was the additional folks that were at the camp when I got there on Thursday...Beside Split Toe, Jap51, Cobbguy, Matelman and a few others were down there. We will go out and eat one last meal before setting in for dinner at the camp on Friday and Saturday Night Steaks and then we all pack up and will head to our homes and let mother nature do her thing and hope is rains right after we leave....a few years ago, we had just got through with the last drag when it started to rain...it was a good day all around.....

This year we have some new young blood in the club, and some good (under 40) working members for the last few years....the youngsters will help a lot in the food plots area and they will get to know the place and the land and how it lays and the layout of it....

So as the years go by and the old (like all of us) are getting you can see the enthusiastic glee in the newbies eyes and the hope that a big one will walk by....I know, I was once young also....like we all were....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad