New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results - Not the same  (Read 368 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results - Not the same
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »
Finally made it to the crowded range yesterday. Yes it was crowded yesterday, But what I took with me, it is on paper now...took 7 with me yesterday to a Hot, muggy, range and there is nothing worth looking at.....met a couple of shooting buddies at the range and we all shot, one guy was there about 2 hours and the other one (and his son) was there 3 hours and I was there 4 hours, left here right at 11:15 AM and did not get back to a little after 4 PM...all in all, it was a nice day to be at the range!!

What I took with me - Everything that needed fixing - The very first one I shot was the loaded from last hunting season and unloaded it when I shot it it was perfectly dead center at 50 yards, I mean dead center...... A Cooper M52 in 280 is now on paper, what a beautiful rifle it is......The Blaser 300WSM, in now up and running! tried some 185 gn Berger in the 300WSM and it seem to like them....The Sauer 200 in the 25-06 is now viable and is on paper, swapped out the barrels and put a new scope on it when from a 30-06 to the 25-06 barrel and added a Sig Sauer Whiskey5 on top of the Sauer....Shot the Mossberg Predator in 6.5 PRC for the first time with its muzzle brake $20 from Amazon it blew everything off for my position and the next position...had to add "fire in the hole" before firing it...but it did shoot very good due to its thin barrel it did get hot even after the 1st round!! but it is on paper....the newest Bergara, the short 18" B14 HMR SP is now on paper and it does show some progress....and finally the Savage Model 220 in the 20 gauge slug rifle with it 3-9X Nikon Slug Hunter scope shot OK but nothing great, after getting back home and unloading the truck and one note about the truck...it is a 2007 Tundra and it has not been drove anywhere in a long, long time. Going to the range in it seems like pretty good old times....did not follow close...but before I drove it, had to add some air to the tires, it has 2 back ones that leak a bit....but it does need cleaning!! I must admit, sure I have gotten in it and drove it around the neighborhood a few times but nothing outside of there....it has over 104K miles on it and it is great truck, just needs to be clean and notice a crack in its windshield....but back to the Savage 220....one of the guys that was there was the guy who owns a stainless Savage 220 and he said that his and his buddies did the same thing, it shot really large 3 and 4" groups yesterday but he tells me that both his and his buddies went to the 3" long shells and the groups were reduced down to an 1" to 1.5".....

As I said not much worth looking at, but I got done what I wanted to - got them all on paper!! Now can take them one at a time to the range and start tweaking them...Will need to take the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 Black next time I go.....

Next time should have some targets and loads for you....         
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results - Not the same
« on: May 28, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results - Not the same
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:42:20 AM »
Like Dutch, I cannot sleep for a long periods at a time, so I scanned in all 8 targets in the middle of the night or morning, whichever you want to call it ....and besides the Savage 220, all of them are on paper. So I set out what I wanted to accomplished is to get all the rifles on paper!! The Savage 220 is on paper but it was a large group that it shot....so I am hoping the incoming 3" shells (if you remember, I am using the 2 3/4" slugs from Hornady) from Gunbroker. I would not recommend the 2 3/4" to anybody who believes in accuracy from such a slug gun....

And after review the targets, I got a feeling that the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC is OK and after things settle down will try it at 200 yards to see whether or not it would take a deer at that distance, I know the Christensen Arm would but that is $1200 versus $500 rifle as well. Oh yea, had to unload the 50 Cal CVA Muzzle Loader - I did and it shot very well, thank you....

The Cooper M52 in 280 Rem is dead on, it accuracy after getting it zero in shot real good, 1/2 MOA I would say, And the shorty Bergara in 308 had plenty of potential as well say 1/2" on it too....the biggest question was the Blaser R93 in 300 WSM and after getting it on paper at 100 yards the darn thing likes the 185 gn Berger bullets, before I had been using miscellaneous 165/168 bullets shot very large groups so I was worried about it. The old 1986 Vintage Sauer 200 in the 25-06 configuration shot OK but not great probably shot an 1 inch at 100 yards. The rifle can shoot it much better than that....

But since it was the first time at the range this year and had 2 other guys that was there with me, I managed to get done what I wanted to do......so after reviewing and grouping the shots and looking at them at 3 AM in the morning, not a bad groups...some really showed my some potential and some left me questioning myself.

I have tried to label the scans but I cannot figure out scan 6.....rest of them I can...so attached are scans 4 & 5, 7 & 8....

When I have time I will tweak these rifle even better, right now that are on paper and that is all that I care about....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:51:32 AM »
Bo, do you have Remington Accutips on your list of slugs to try?  Seeing lots of positive comments about those in the 220.

I've spent a lot of time playing with different brands of slugs in both smoothbore and rifled barrels, they're even more finicky at times than rifles in my experience.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 10:53:46 AM by Madgomer »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 02:54:37 PM »
Mad I have read a lot of good things about Remington Accutips But I can't find any.  Especially at Bass"Out of stock"Pro store!   @--0--0117

Bo - It must be fun breaking in all those new toys!  I am anxiously waiting to see which ones will be real performers.  My money is on the Bergara

Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 03:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments and yes I had heard some good things about the Remington Accutips as well, especially the 3 inch shells.... that is what they guy I was at the range was telling me that the 4 to 6" groups will shrink down to about an 1 to 1.5" with the Remington Accutips in the 3 inchers....according to this guy who was at the range with me and one of his buddies, the slugs guns acted the same way.....

I found a company that had a 9 boxes of the Remington 3" Accutips on Gunbroker, so I bought 5 boxes of them just to try....now the waiting game begins. With the Corvid-19 everybody is putting a statement on their web site that because of the virus it going to take an additional 2 to 3 weeks....

I hope they work if not back to the drawing board and will try other brands of ammo until I find the right load for this slug rifle/gun.....

Thanks for any comments.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 04:04:02 PM »
from dave Henderson the slug gun gooru he used 3 inch slug they shot tighter groups then the  2 3/4 shells
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 07:08:35 PM »
In my 11-87 I get better accuracy out of the 3" shells with any brand I've tried vs 2.75" of the same brand, but it's hammering the shoulder pretty good.  Only one I've seen contrary to that is bro in law shooting lightfield slugs in his rifled 870 barrel.  The 2.75 slugs in that gun shoot better than any slug/gun combo I've ever seen.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »
interesting. I was watching a savage 220 video and the guy was shooting 2 3/4" as well as 3". I will shoot the 3", but want em to shoot 2 3/4 for bear
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »
Just got back from the range - and for the last two days, the range has been closed...yesterday I drove out there and they were working on Camera's electrical conduit and to make sure the flashing red light was working.....and I asked them how long would the be and they told me that by the end of the day the range should be ready....

So having that information, I drove out there today (remember it is 35 min out there and 30 back) thinking the range would be open, when I got there the sign was still up and so I drove down into the range, nobody was down there, no one was at that particular range...all the others were filling up but this one down in the pits....once I drove around the parking lot, I could see that they did not have any backing boards for the targets, all that was there was the frame at all range, 50, 100, 200 yards was the only thing still up...so I turned around and came back home...2 for 2 in this case...oh well, have to fill up the truck anyway....

so no range results today of for the week.....will try again tomorrow....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
that happens more often than not unfortunately. do they have an updated website or a hotline w/ current info? might save you some time and gas
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »
Yari - After I got back home, checked the website and nothing was on it about the range closing....that got me thinking, about the materials in the storage shed next to the range....figure that got in to it late yesterday and found out that they were missing some, so better rush out get some....I'm sure that it will be open for the weekend, so I will try again next week....have gotten the rifles out of their cases and put the back in the safes....shucks, darn.....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 06:06:29 AM »
Gas Prices - One final note - yesterday morning, got out early and filled the wife's Camry up for $1.59.9, when I came back from the range yesterday stopped and gas the Tundra up for $1.75.9 per gallon at the same station !! Holy Cow a 16 cent increase....cost $11 to fill her up and cost me $25 to fill up the truck....the price certainly jump!!
Will not try today, last night took all the guns out of the truck and the ammo and put them back in the safes....

Of course it rain her this morning with them calling for a chance of showers all day today...will try Monday or Tuesday or next week....Oh yea, just bought another 308....now it will be big Mossberg and it little 308 brother...and just like the Bergara have two of them exactly a big and a little 308....LOL....

And I told myself that I would not buy any more 308's.....yea right, tell me another one....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad