New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Ruger American Ranch Rifle first impression  (Read 64 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Ruger American Ranch Rifle first impression
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »
As most of you know, I picked up today a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK OUT...It was about $503 to get it up. As you can tell, it is not an expense rifle....but I think as of this writing, I have spent a total of about 15 to 20 minutes with it....first thing I notice is that it is very light weigh rifle. it has a short 16.13" long barrel and just like the Bergara, the rifle was the last thing to get it...had the Konus Scope and 30mm rings ready to go, put a Cant level on it, order a three extra magazines for it.....so I was ready to go when I got the rifle....

I am letting the cheapie muzzle brake dry on it and will attack mounting the scope and adjusting the trigger and giving it a good once over get back on it tomorrow....but would like to know your impression of this rifle ?? Good, bad or indifferent....

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 07:53:04 PM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Ruger American Ranch Rifle first impression
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:25:53 PM »
I just looked it up. it's not at all what I expected. looks like a nice little gun. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:18 PM »
Bo, I've only heard good things about it thus far.  I believe Ruger was trying to hit a price point similar to Savage's entry level rifles (which are a great value) in a compact and lightweight package, something ideal for the truck or UTV.  Seems like they succeeded.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »
Guys - Thanks for the input....

Here are some pictures of the finished product...what a mixture of parts and pieces....First of all, it will not cycle on the last round, you will need to unfasten the magazine from the rifle to close it....I let the muzzle brake dry overnight....and mounted the Konus M30 scope this morning, the rings are interesting, all European for sure...to started with made sure that the picatinny rail was tight against the receiver...funny it took a #10T instead of the standard Leupold #12T...had to find a #10T wrench...once I found it, tighted up as snug as I could get it using a #10T hand wrench....Once that was done, I turned to the rings, got them in the grove of the picatinny rail and it took a 17mm wrench to tighted them down. next came the scope rings, and even they took a #2mm to tight them down, that is small enough almost too small....and finally took it outside to level up the rifle to mother earth and get the Vortex cant level plumed-bob, and finally bore sighted to what distance?? Maybe 50 or 100 yards, we will see what happens next week.....Tested the trigger and it broke at 4.5 lbs the first time and from then on, it broke at 4 to 4.25 lbs.....after taking it to the range and seeing what it will do, then adjustments are likely...but we will wait and see....

But here are those picture of the rifle in all of it glory...enjoy....

Now got to fix a leaky toilet....and then go shoot some rats in the back with the Mach2.....

Mad - Hope you are right, because in the past, there would have been no way I would have purchased a Ruger.....I have just got through putting a standard 20 round AR15 bulk magazine in the Ruger, and it cycles a lot better than the one they furnished....after thinking about it, Ruger did a good job in letting you know that you are empty just like a semi auto will do, it will "lock" in final round goes down range....and remember you can interchange the AR15 .223 and the 300 Blk Out magazines...

Somewhere I do remember that surefire make a 100 round and a 60 round AR magazine....I think I will try and dig it out and find out the 60 rounder and tell everyone at the club that I need at least 50 rounds to take the monster deer....I can see the looks and stars I get when I say that....LOL.....
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:20:22 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »
I just got my savage 220 scope leveled. naturally the rings must have been metric and my torque wrench didn't have the right heads. I just tightened as much as I dared

one of the screws was loose already. might be part of the reason it was so crooked. whoever put it on really didn't care

nice work bo
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 05:31:02 PM »
we had lots of the ruger American at the store just the plan ones were not a big seller
turkey season is 1 month away

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:10:15 AM »
Yari - Yea it does take me a long time to mount a scope.....the leveling of the gun and scope take some shims for sure...I got to get the gun level before I can get anything else level....after I get the rifle level, and then take it to the outside and level the scope, can't level get all of them level with mother earth, then bore sight it....

Dave - Thanks, this one is a plain Jane version...it is a basic gun. the bolt is smooth and the magazine release is firm and the trigger does have a lot of pull more so than other triggers that has a similar design....but all in all it is acceptable, it is very light and that is with the muzzle break and the scope mounted...I need to weight it to see how much it is with all the above on it.....

Thanks for your comments......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:16:51 AM »
speaking of trigger pull, my I went to adjust my savage 220 before I leveled the scope. the trigger was already as low as it could go. I was surprised at that. it's very easy to get to the adjustment screw

NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
yes bo it seem to me to be a very nice gun was surprised that not many people looked at
turkey season is 1 month away

dave 1211

New Page 3

Google Ad