New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Nylon 66  (Read 255 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Nylon 66
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »
There's been a lot of talk recent one? ly about Ruger 10/22's. How about another favorite 22 rifle, the Remington model 66? How many of us have one? I do, picked up used for $30. I was in the Army on a TDY, with some per dium monifleey in my pocket, and I bought it. Nice little rifle, light weight, and pretty accurate, too, if you took care to tighten the barrel holddown thingy, the same every time you reassembled the rifle. I think all my kids liked because of the weight, and they could hit things with it. The rifles came in two variations, tube magazine and detachable mags. The also came in brown, black and the rarest, a dark green. Remington also made a model 76, which was a lever action. Don't know much about them, but I did see one at a gun show once.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

TalkHunting Community

Nylon 66
« on: May 21, 2020, 05:46:42 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Nylon 66
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:48:12 PM »
On my second Marlin Model 60 22LR.   Have had this one for about 20 years. 

First one I traded for a hunting dog, he was a good one for me.   @--0--0105

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
I have the marlin 60 got it last year had a 66 at one time would not shoot at all bad groups so I sold it
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:16:29 PM »
Louie - the old Nylon 66 was all over the place when I was a kid - mostly the brown ones.  I never owned one, don't think I've ever even fired one.  As a kid I was pretty turned off by the cheap looking "plastic" stock but man those things are bringing good money these days.  Friend of mine has a black one he recently re-blued, it was in terrible shape.  Brother in law has all three colors I believe, acquired them in the last few years and I don't believe he's shot any of them.  Back in their day I would guess they were being produced in as high a volume (if not higher) than the 10/22.

I have a 10/22 target, my grandfather's old Remington model 12 pump, my Dad's old Colt Challenger pistol, and a Browning A-bolt in .22 LR.  That Browning and the Ruger are fantastic shooters, but the old Colt and the old Remington can't keep up on the targets.  I briefly owned a Marlin 60 as well - not a bad gun but nothing special.  Got it on a trade and then converted it to cash.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
Talk about a walk down memory lane, I bought my Nylon 66 (Brown Mohawk) in springtime of 1968. for $49.95 it was a deal and a steal....it still shoots good today, will take any 22 Long Range ammo...but it likes the Eley ammo the best...wow when I wore a younger man's clothes, I would shoot in it what every I could find that was on sale....and I still have some of the ammo somewhere in the gun room.....I got an ammo can with all the ancient ammo in it. I think I know where it is...but wow, took it to the range a couple of years ago and I likes the way it shoots, just keep it oiled up....that was the first 22 that I purchased, the first one I ever owned was a Savage/Springfield 187H that was my 2nd firearm that Dad every gave me.....thanks for the post.....

Always eyed the 10/22's but never did own one.....Still have a Pristine Model 12...got it back in the 80's, was made in 63, it was the guy's Dad and he was getting married again to a very young thing that did not want any guns in the house....Wonder how long it lasted...the marriage I am presuming.....LOL.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 07:39:39 AM »
remember it well ... never owned one but I shot a firends..light nice .  the color I thought was purpleish but maybe I'm wrong
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
I think part of the problem with the 66 and accuracy is that the rear sight is mounted on the receiver, and not the barrel.  The receiver is nothing more than a metal cover.  The actual receiver is plastic, molded with the stock.  It does hold the barrel via a special device, that is tightened with a bolt, through the bottom of the receiver.  It has two internal flats that match up on flats cut into the barrel. So it is possible, imo, to change the point of impact, depending how tight or how loose you turn the screw.  First time I shot a 66, I put a hole through a penny (wish I still had it), can't remember the distance but it wasn't that far, maybe 25 yds.  I eventually put a red dot sight on mine, and I was able to get decent groups at about 40 yds, maybe nickel size groups.  Can't remember the ammo, most likely CCI's.  I would just get 22 ammo when on sale.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad