New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Which rings?  (Read 149 times)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Which rings?
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »
Will be ordering a Steven 301 12gauge turkey shot gun in bottom land camo this coming week. This gun comes with a scope rail and I plan to put a low power optic scope on. But what scope rings do I need? This gun only weighs about 6#s. Just want some rings that will handle the recoil. Thanks y'all!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

TalkHunting Community

Which rings?
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:05:06 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Which rings?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 11:15:17 AM »
Iswoody - I've just got this year a Savage 220 20 gauge slug gun....I use the Burris extreme 6 screw rings...I would suggest that you have at least 4 screws and torque them down to 25 inch pounds....so it is a slug gun...wow, Make sure to check your rail on the shotgun as well start with it, make sure that it is tighten down to 55 inch pounds....then worried about the rings, torque the rings down to 25 in lbs....then the scope, be sure to get a Vortex or better scope along with the 6 screw Burris (or equal) Extreme rings....and then head for the range.....and let us know what you end up with....

Good luck....Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 10:15:46 PM »
Yeah, per Bo's suggestion I'd agree that you want 4 or 6 screw rings on a slug gun.  Also need to figure out what height rings you want, based on how big your scope objective lens is and how your eyeball falls vs. the bore when you have a good cheek weld on the gun.  Personally I'd recommend going with a smaller objective diameter on the scope if it means you can have your head planted in a more natural position on the stock.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »
Iswoody - I agree with Mad as far as the scope goes, no more than a 3-9X scope but more like a 2-7X x 33 or 36"" even one of those 1X-4X or 1x-6X, preferably a 30mm tube....

On my Savage, it came with a 3-9X Nikon Buckmaster Slug hunter with BDC reticule...not sure what the BDC reticule is out too in yards but I will find out soon, very soon at the range.....

I'm starting off with 2 3/4" slugs and go from there maybe a 3" is in my future.....but for not and just to get the sucker on paper, will go with the 2 3/4 shell.....

But you got to go with what the rifle or in this case slug gun like....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad