New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Each Day Bring Surprises  (Read 577 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Each Day Bring Surprises
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:46:15 AM »
Since my retirement, I try and go into the gun room about every other day to do a little more organizing and clean up...lately I have added some lights and a radio and have been down there reloading almost daily these past few weeks...I go there every day now and love it. it is my sanctuary area of the house that I love to spend time in.

Boy I sure have forgotten all the good stuff I have...I have enough 22 shot, long and long rifles to equip an army...and then this morning was checking behind the reloading books a green container that held 100 270 that I have loaded up for the 270 Remington Sendero. I have found the magic load for it. It had shot the same load through the same hole at 200 yards, this after I have sent it to Minnesota to have it Cryogentrically treated completely (along with the other 4 Sendero's). so today was a great surprise. The radio is one of those transistors (remember those) radios and it is showing it wear. Doesn't pick up the stations strongly like it use to.....and all those boxes of Black Hills 223 in 75 or 77 gn ammo...shoots very good in all of my later 223's....the early ones I have the older 55 and 62 gn ammo for those. I have separate bags for those label so....I sort of scared to look in all those pistol carrying containers sitting above the gun safes and onto the top row in the closet....boy you never know what I might find with them?

But I try to put thing out where I can glance and see them...this really helps me out....also if it floods again, have gotten the vinyl albums off the floor and have put the coins collection that I got from Mom in plastic containers, off the floor as well....so I keep the gun powder and all the folders with the all my targets in them into plastic storage containers and they are on dollies....have to be mobile these days and same goes for all the gun powder. Keep those handy beside the door in a container in order to remove them in case of fire....the amount of gun powder that is manageable is in two totes and both are on dollies...

Hate to say it, but the big flood of 2019, helped us reorganized the down stairs completely, including the gun room...of course I could have use the $23K that the big flood cost me else where and made some interested off of it....

Getting old sucks but it is sure nice to open up the gun safes and looked at all the good stuff that I have.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Each Day Bring Surprises
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:46:15 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Each Day Bring Surprises
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
I'm still available for adoption Bo . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 03:23:08 PM »
 ##$%#1118 me to dad I am open tp adoption too
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
trips down memory lane are always fun
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:45 AM »
Those hidden treasures are always nice to find. During Covid19 I've been going through all the stuff I've had stored in the basement and starting throwing away and reorganizing things. During this process I've come to the conclusion I've got way too much stuff!!! The amount of fishing tackle that I've put away over the years is amazing to me. I've got over 500 packs of varies worm, lizards, craws in just about all the colors you could possibility imagine. Then we get into cranksbaits and spinnerbaits that are still packaged and it's just mind blowing and I'd forgot all about them. Things that I've bought and stored have doubled in cost today so I look at it as having saved a lot of money over the years. I've always bought fishing line in bulk spools so the cost of that is mind blowing too. So Bo your right those trips down memory lane are full of surprise.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 09:35:16 AM »
split- isn't it amazing. there isn't enough boat storage to handle all my baits. sorry to say, i doubt 50% of them ever hit the water. i always say i'm putting a freeze on new bait spending. so far this year i've been good. if the musky trip in july gets cancelled due to covid, i might actually be able to honor the freeze @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 09:43:15 AM »
split- isn't it amazing. there isn't enough boat storage to handle all my baits. sorry to say, i doubt 50% of them ever hit the water. i always say i'm putting a freeze on new bait spending. so far this year i've been good. if the musky trip in july gets cancelled due to covid, i might actually be able to honor the freeze @--0--0105
so true my boat has tons of gear that has never hit the water. I do the same thing every year and tell myself enough is enough with buying fishing equipment...then I get my TackleWarehouse bill... @--0--0105
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
Split Toe - Everyday I start off the day by making a good pot of coffee and if weather permitting, will go out in the dark with it and sit and swing and after that cup is drank will go into the gun room and start looking into an area of it......just this morning decided on the scope for the new 308 Bergara HMR SP, it should arrive probably Tuesday, but finally update and check out each scope and write down any good information that I find out in the scope pile....got to looking and come to find out that I have a ton of scope cover suck as Bulter Creek and Latex Scope covers that I pick up at Walmart when I got here 25+ years ago.....

So on the second cup will go up stairs and update the files filled with data on each area of the collection....will write a story about the history of the firearm and how I mange to acquire it....so it is a never ending conquest to keep the files up to date with all the goodies that I have manage to laid my hands on......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Also Physical changes. Once I reached 60 I notice that I did not have the strength to pull out the deer that I shot, had to have help...before I use to pull the deer right up the hill and out of the creek....8 years later, when Deerhead shot this big buck back in the far 40, it took 4 of us and Deerhead was the youngest of the four!! I have notice right after my first knee surgery that I notice with the weather would change, I could tell you if it was going to rain within 24 hrs of it!! LOL....I am not depressed at all so get that out of your mind, it's funny the changes that we all go through just to make it.....about 10 years ago I had this heart scare, I had all the symptoms except the pain running down my arm...my doc took this seriously!! After the "event", we taped nitro pills to the mirror in each bathroom and to the mirrors in the bedrooms and had to keep three of them on me at all times, and for the wife she had to carry them too! Boy do that take this stuff seriously...that was 10 years ago, but today, the pills and powders are all gone "expired" and things are back to normal....LOL...But during those times I had to take 2 stress test, one was physical and the other was a medical induced stress test...past those with flying colors....

Balance is a thing that I have notice in the last couple of years.....At deer camp nothing is off limits, nothing, I guess we were talking about getting older and the effects of it when Split Toe brought up the subject about balance and how you have a tendencies to loose it....well shortly I did notice it and instead of wheeling and turning around, I do half turns but I had adapted to it so it is no big deal today....The old arthritis has begun to creep into these old hands. and I have no strength in them at all.....and the guns are getting heavier and it takes me longer to line up on a deer and sort of think about where he is going to be instead of about 10 years ago, picking it up, pointing at him and shoot the big sucker!! it takes me longer to set up at the range, than 10 years ago...also I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer anymore...LOL....

All of this is normal aging process, I guess...I am healthy and happy and still keep buying stuff.....for others I feel, but that's OK too, the person who dies with the most stuff wins anyways....LOL....Be good, back off to about 6 ft and stay safe and sane....LOL....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 06:13:45 AM »
Bo,
Know how you feel.  In my 20s in the military when our forklift was in the shop.  Myself and another big guy loaded the stuff the forklift used to do into and out of the ton and a half.  Used to throw deer into the back of my truck after dragging them out of the woods are timber cut down.
Cartilage in both knees is gone and cannot trust them to not give way at any time.  Cannot run anymore, that hurts to bad, used to run a 1.5 mile in 7 minutes and 20 seconds in uniform and steel toed boots.  Cannot climb ladder stands, have steps and handrails now.  Know about not turning around as fast, 1/4 turns now.   @--0--0105
Here we are, retired and can afford to hunt/fish more and cannot do as much!   :2)
This old age thing really sucks, but I would not take anything for the memories and my beautiful bride still by my side!

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »
PJ - Amen - I hear you....

Should be interesting change over from portable stands to ladder and blinds for us "senior citizens" LOL....it it wasn't for my knees not bending as much as they said they would be right there with a portable stand...but it is what it is...so the hard shell blinds and soft shell blinds and the ladder stands are the new normal....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
Hey, as long as it's still letting you guys get out there on the hunt, it's all good!  I have to admit I'm rarely using any of my portable stands or my climber in the last couple years - frankly I attribute it more to laziness than age, but maybe it's the wisdom that comes with age reminding me that I won't bounce back as fast as I would have in my younger days should I take a tumble.  I only had one incident thus far in a stand, that was (not surprisingly) stupidity on my part for trying to use my climber on a tree the day after a little ice storm.  As I was nearly to my final spot, I went to rotate things a bit for a better shooting angle and ended up with the platform shooting off in one directing and the seat section in the other.   Wrenched my shoulder pretty good trying to catch myself, which was already on the verge of needing some surgical help, and was pretty sore for a long time afterwards.  Stayed on the stand but still not good.  That was on the property where we ended up building our house later, I get a reminder of this every time I look out the back windows and see that tree standing about 100 yards out.  Time to concede that I'm not actually immortal, and resist grasping for that last little bit of advantage in the woods for the sake of being able to walk back comfortably to the truck. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15:07 AM »
Since this post, I have been in the gun room constantly and found ammo and dies and brass that I thought I did not have....order some 7mm STW Brass and then found a box of Nosler and ammo, I must have a Zillion 17HMR in both the 17gn and 20gn....I did find some 6mm Rem dies that I don't have a 6mm Rem firearm any where in the collection....

But every day is a new discovery back about two weeks ago I was in a reloading frenzy and loaded up a bunch of rounds....that was two weeks ago found so much stuff....now am going through my rifle magazine kick, a couple of years ago went through and got at least 6 magazines and a carrying case that held the ammo, the extra magazines and the pistol itself...

Glad that I am back in the saddle again heading off into the sunset once again...LOL....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »
Went to the range yesterday for the first time in 2020....it was good exercise, no matter how much you do at home, it is good to load up the truck with those heavy cases of rifles, ammo boxes and spotting scopes....I always have taken pictures at the range for years I have been doing this and yesterday was no exception...just took a few personal photos...but all in all, it was a good day to be at the range....

Forgot to mention that I saw a baby skunk waddling across the road yesterday and I stopped for it and put my flashers on just in case somebody pulls up behind me....the good news he or she made it safely across the road. Wonder where it's mother was did not smell any skunks in the area...but this would have made someone a nice pet...LOL...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:56:39 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 02:02:20 PM »
Everyday is a different day, and it depends on the weather and how you sleep that makes a big difference....your arthritis make huge difference is you strength of your hands, some days it is the left and some days it is the right, and the weather - You know when there is a low front coming....and the knees makes a difference, as most of you know I have had two TKR (which stands for Total Knee Replacements)....and the left leg is a bit longer than the right leg, you need to check your shoes often, I threw away a pair of tennis shoes a few days ago and put some old but new work shoes on, the heavy one, you know the ones with the steel toes. In just two to three days I don't have any hip or back pain to speak of....

Everyday when I get up I sort of lay there and check myself out...oh well, life goes on and I am glad that I am on this side of the dirt.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad