New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Planting advice  (Read 980 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Planting advice
« on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
I'm going to plant several plots with the grain drill this year and cannot find a consistent answer on row width for milo.  My drill is on 6" spacing.  Any idea the width which to plant (15", 20", 30")?  I will round to the closest number by closing some of my downspouts.  Also, the ground is not irrigated.  Thanks in advance for any advice! 

TalkHunting Community

Planting advice
« on: April 28, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Planting advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
I googled it and they said row spacing 36-40". seed planted 1-3" apart. 1-2.5" deep

I wish I had practical experience, but never planted it before. good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
Milo and Millet are about the same thing.  The times we planted millet for the cows summer grazing, we planted it with a regular row crop planter on 36" rows.  Doing so allowed us to cultivate it as it was growing and at some point we turned the cows on it to graze.  The cows would only be allowed on the millet for a couple of hours each day, then moved back onto the Bahia grass pasture.  Once the millet was grazed down to a point, after several weeks depending on the number of cows, we would side dress it and in a week or so it would provide  grazing once again.  I've not planted it for deer feed but a few seasons we did let it mature and make seed for a dove field.  Frost puts a stop to this type of plant growth, in fact it is related to corn.
I suppose if you are planting strictly for a food plot the 6 inch rows would work just fine.
As I recall it responded to ammonia nitrate (34-0-0) very well as a side dressing after planting over 4-12-12, just like a corn crop.
Probably look up dry land milo and see some good info on weed control, etc..
Another thing that just came to mind, planting in wider rows results in cows mostly walking the rows to graze which means less plant damage by being stepped on.  That might be a consideration when using it as a deer plot. @--0--0117
Treefarmer

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
Milo/Millet/Sorghum are all pretty similar.  Brother in law used to grow quite a bit of it, and drilled it in fairly narrow rows but that was in very fertile black river dirt (silt) with decent rainfall throughout the growing season.  Depending on your soil fertility and moisture expectations, you would perhaps need to pull back on the seeding population a bit - once you determine a reasonable seed population per acre, the row spacing isn't all that critical (use a row spacing that is convenient based on your equipment, provided you can reach the right population).  Putting a link below to a decent article from University of Kansas - here's a key statement from that article:  "Seeding Rate - In most situations, the sorghum seeding rate should remain the same on a per acre basis regardless of row spacing. Seeding rate should be based on the yield potential of the field and environment."

Here's the link:  https://www.sorghumcheckoff.com/news-and-media/newsroom/2019/02/12/optimizing-row-spacing-for-sorghum/

I grew some here once as it was part of a gamebird food plot mix - the deer really hammered the stuff.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad