New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: picked up my savage 220  (Read 673 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: picked up my savage 220
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
I heard the Hornady sst's group well
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 05:22:24 AM »
Going to take the Savage model 220 to the range today and try some different ammo. Going to try the 3" Remington Accutips, 2 guys who have this shotgun tells me that the Remington shots tighter groups than the 2.75" Hornady....we will see, and if they do will but another 25 round (5 boxes) tonight after I get back home....I'm interested in this experiment....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2020, 06:57:54 AM »
The 3" Remington Accutips work better in my Savage M220 Slug Gun than the Hornady's 2.75"...could not believe the difference...see targets in firearm section....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 02:08:10 PM »
The 3" Remington Accutips work better in my Savage M220 Slug Gun than the Hornady's 2.75"...could not believe the difference...see targets in firearm section....

i saw. looked great.

what hornady's were you shooting? i heard hornady SST' worked well in 2 3/4"
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »
The 3 inchers also fed better and smoother into the chamber, but ejecting them out of the chamber maybe harder than I thought it should be....maybe I'm not use to the mechanics of the Savage yet...I will take it to the range in a couple of weeks and check it out....will try and get it cleaned this weekend for sure....

Yes, it did shoot tighter groups than the Hornady's 2.75", maybe there are several types of Hornady's Slugs??, Since this is my first slug gun, I will go to school and learn all about the different ammo involved.....

All in all I am pleased with it....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 05:09:42 PM »
yep, several different options by each manufacturer just like rifle slugs. the one common denominator is they charge a lot more than rifle cartridges. no idea why @--0--0117 @--0--0117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »
yep, several different options by each manufacturer just like rifle slugs. the one common denominator is they charge a lot more than rifle cartridges. no idea why @--0--0117 @--0--0117
More powder, more projectile, big primers, sabot sleeves, and not near as much quantity produced as for centerfire rifle, so it's a bit more costly to pay off that tooling investment.  And to some extent, because they can charge $25 for a box of 5 and it looks about the same size as that box of 20 centerfire rifle cartridges for similar money . . . 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
Mad - Yari - Thanks for the ideas and hints, yea most manufacturers do offer any array of slugs with different projectiles, I agree to try them (Hornady's 2 3/4" shells) again..but for now will stick with the Remington Accutips and Mad I did order 5 more boxes of them for $16 a box - Ouch!! yea, I did see them for $25 for 5 shells....
My order for roughly $105 includes shipping and hazmat fee....should be here in about 2 weeks or so.....

How do yawl clean the Savage 220 ?? I do have all the gear and equipment for the 20 gauge and spent a lot of time in the Garage (that is where I do all my gun cleaning at) trying different techniques....finally clean the Savage similar to a muzzle loader, seems to work fine and clean it until the patches came out clean...you could use them again, but I did not or will not reuse any patches....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 11:35:40 AM »
Bo, I've found when shooting sabot slugs through a rifled bore shotgun, there's not much cleanup to do.  A brass brush or bore snake (I love those) will quickly remove any plastic & powder residue, then I might (especially if I've been in a wet or humid environment) run a very lightly oiled patch through the bore.  Wipe down the outside, and put it away.  Takes about 2 minutes at the most.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
I haven't shot mine yet. I was planning to use my same shotgun cleaning gear. I have a push pole I use. it's like a giant sponge on a stick. it's super fast and works great
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »
I haven't shot mine yet. I was planning to use my same shotgun cleaning gear. I have a push pole I use. it's like a giant sponge on a stick. it's super fast and works great
I have used those in the past too Yari.  I do like them, but now that I have some bore snakes, they're the first thing I grab.  I have one for 12 ga, .223, and 9mm.  Need to get one for my .44's.  I do have to admit though that the .223 version is really tough to pull through that little bore.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
I have used those in the past too Yari.  I do like them, but now that I have some bore snakes, they're the first thing I grab.  I have one for 12 ga, .223, and 9mm.  Need to get one for my .44's.  I do have to admit though that the .223 version is really tough to pull through that little bore.

I have a bore snake for my .300. works great. didn't know they made them for shotguns
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad