New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: The WSSM update  (Read 417 times)

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
The WSSM update
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
If you don’t remember I came up with another Dutch dream. Don’t worry this will be an abbreviated post. I wanted to create a 17WSSM and a 20WSSM. I primarily wanted to see if I could do this. Secondarily, if they work out I could use them on whistle pigs. I planned to neck down some 223WSSM cases. This required ordering some made for me dies. Once I got the dies I made up some dummy cartridges to use as dimension prototypes. I sent them to the barrel maker to make the reams and barrels. I ordered defiant actions. The stocks came from Boyds. Jewel triggers were my choice. I think Vortex optics would be more than adequate for these little guys.

Skipping all the boring stuff with assembly issues and cartridge development, I got them talking. Got them zeroed at 200 used a chrony to check velocity. The 17 was consistently spitting at 4970 with the 20 coming out at 5120. I used a little slower powder in the 20’s. Barrel length for them both was 24”. The 17 has a twist of 1:15 and the 20’s twist is 1:13. I used 20gr monolithic pills in the 17 and 30gr mono’s for the 20.

The attached pics are of the targets used at 350 yards. I used the red dot cross-hair as the POA for each with no optic adjustment for distance. The weather was nice 45 degrees, 29.95 pressure, 30% humidity. When I shot the 17 the wind was slight (2-4) from 3 o’clock. The wind changed to 9 o’clock and picked up (4-8) just a little for the 20. As I expected POI was low with the added 150 yards. These light pills are very susceptible to wind deviation. Not only left right with wind but additionally wind will knock them down. They are not massive projectiles so reading conditions will be important to have success in whistle pig tippin’. I was very pleased in the consistency of impact not much dispersion at all. What excited me the most was the apparent flatness advantage the 20 had over the 17, but there again with the heavier pill and greater speed it should not be shocking.

In conclusion I’m very pleased with the outcome. I really think these will be the last of my custom builds.

Making sure I haven’t lost my touch; PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE…… Dutch out
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

TalkHunting Community

The WSSM update
« on: April 23, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: The WSSM update
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 07:21:02 PM »
Looks like your really in the ballpark with both Dutch .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:40:15 PM »
I get pretty excited when I can stack them all in that 1" square at 100 yards - can't imagine packing them in there like that at 350 (without a heckuvalot more practice)

Looks like you can call both of those a success DH!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 07:18:07 AM »
Dutch - Those are two phenomenal targets especially at those distances...Wow, good shooting.....what every happen to the 243WSSM ??

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 09:38:58 AM »
I think you have them both pretty close, with a little more fine tuning and PRACTICE, you should be able to tighten those groups up a little bit  --099-780 --099-780  --09--0

Whistle pigs, PSA-get out while the getting is good.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
Nice targets!!! They look to be very accurate rounds Dutch
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:58 PM »
Awesome update.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 08:03:04 PM »
simply amazing!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 08:32:43 PM »
Sounds like both should do the job
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:45:04 PM by Zos41 »
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 05:24:42 AM »
Dutch - Those are two phenomenal targets especially at those distances...Wow, good shooting.....what every happen to the 243WSSM ??

Thanks everyone for the pats on the back. These were fun little builds that performed as planned.

Brother Bo, you have such an amazing memory. I believe you were thinking about the 6mm/5K or "Gossamer" build. Trying to push a 243 beyond 5000 fps. Well it isn't one of my finer projects. Reshaping a 404 Jeffery and using 107 grain monolithic pills, I was able to reach a velocity of 5130. THAT was the ONLY bright spot! I however couldn't control it as far as accuracy. At 100 yards the dispersion was 6" at 200 yards out of a 5 shot groups only 1 was on a 8 1/2X11 target. I haven't given up on it yet just on the way-way back burner. I learned from these two WSSM projects a slower twist with faster velocity seemed to work. The twist rate on the Gossamer build was 1:9 which was a calculation mistake on my part. The monolithic pills are a different sort of bird. The extreme velocity and of the chart rotation accentuates any gyroscopic balance factors. I'll try keeping the velocity up and slow the rotation if or when I get back to the "Gossamer".
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 06:29:48 AM »
Dutch - Thanks for the update on the 243WSSM, a barn burner to say the least, with every failure there is success in learning something about your project and yourself....

As far as the rotation goes on a bullet, I will leave it up to QuickLoad to let me know the exact rpm that it is going....I know in this short barrel Bergara 308 that I just set up, I was actually in QuickLoad  last night trying to find the right powder and bullet with to start with...always do my homework before heading to the range, which should be next week sometimes...

Those results are not like the "Dutchness" I know and come to look for in targets, but again you were looking for the right powder and bullet weight to use. The "Gossamer" will come in for you, you just got to reduce your velocity to match your twist rate and keep you bullet's RPM rate below a certain rotation....I know you like to push the velocity but in this case be happy with your 4999 fps and below that...LOL....

I hope that I started out with a decide load, I went to the Berger stabilization rate and measure the length of the bullets and put in the G7 BC and so forth so I am sticking with the 168 Gn Btip from Nosler and have heavier bullets all the way up to 190 gn in the Sierra Spitzer....have some good old 220 gn with the core-lokt design but have never loaded them up for anything, figuring a 100 gn in the 243 all the way up to 165 gn in the old 30-06 is good enough......

Good luck with the Gossamer and keep posting the results.....this should be an interesting journey that will unfold in front of us....

Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
Wow Dutch, those bullets must have some incredible rpms coming out of a 1:9 barrel at 5000+ fps.  Wonder what those sound like heading downrange?  Probably too high pitched for our older ears but I'm sure they're sending out some noise.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad