New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Best 44 Mag ammo for deer in rifle?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Best 44 Mag ammo for deer in rifle?
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
Hey guys, looking at a getting a CVA Hunter in 44 Mag. This rifle has a 22” barrel. So what’s the best factory ammo and Also about what is the max yardage to take deer with this setup? Thanks!!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

TalkHunting Community

Best 44 Mag ammo for deer in rifle?
« on: April 20, 2020, 07:48:03 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Best 44 Mag ammo for deer in rifle?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 08:09:11 PM »
I really can't help much. the longest shot I made on a mature buck w/ my .44 pistol was 70-75 yards and the bullet lodged in the far side. that was w/ a hollow point. i'm sure there are better bullets today. that was 25 years ago

I know they are popular in Iowa now. google some shot info from there. I think I remember a 150 yard lethal shot

good luck. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 08:17:17 PM »
Iswoody:  "best factory ammo" will be a tough one to answer, as any given rifle will have its own favorites in the accuracy department.  Does CVA recommend any given brand/load?  Winchester's "grey box" 240 grain stuff is pretty reasonable and I've heard good things about it.  Here's Midway's listing:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900184808

I have found that it shoots well in my Super Blackhawk revolver.  I just got a Contender in .44 mag and in the process of trying to figure out what it likes best (10" barrel).  Later this week I'll be receiving my long awaited lever gun in .44 mag, and will be tinkering with loads for it too - let's stay in touch and compare notes as we go.  I have two varieties of Winchester loads and handloads to try in it - - 24" barrel.  My handloads will be initially with 200 gr Hornady XTPs and H110 powder.  The ones I already have on hand are hotter than the factory loads - probably overkill and may be a bit more than my shoulder needs.

As for range - if you can get appropriate accuracy it's easily a 100+ yard gun on deer from an energy standpoint.  Knowing your range and accounting for the trajectory is the key - all of the energy in the world won't matter if the gun and shooter can't put the bullet in the right spot.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 01:12:19 AM »
I have both a Ruger Deerslayer and a Marlin Lever Action in 44 Mag. Plus three revolvers in 44 Mag. Hands down, the Hornady 225 grain FTX functions flawlessly and gives me an honest 200 yard ethical and accurate results in the two rifles. I hold my handgun range to 100 yards because of my limitations not the ammunition or the firearms.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 01:14:18 AM by RoughRiderND »
6 years preparing with father and brother
62 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.
Now training grandchildren in the fine art of food gathering.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 07:21:37 AM »
RoughRider, I had forgotten about that bullet.  What kind of load recipe do you prefer in your two rifles?
and enjoy it!

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
I am currently using just factory, but I have an abundance of brass so I will soon be at the bench. I tend to used H 110 and Lil Gun for my large bores, 44, 480, 460 and 500's.
6 years preparing with father and brother
62 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.
Now training grandchildren in the fine art of food gathering.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
H110 has been my go to powder for everything on the .44 mag so far except those trailboss plinking loads.
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 08:34:06 PM »
Hands down the best .44mag ammo for rifle or pistol for accuracy is the LEVERevolution 225gr FTX...been using it for years!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 10:23:04 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't own a 44 mag in either the Marlin or Ruger...but I must agree with Split Toe, because when I first discovered the 30-30 Win LeveRevolution Ammo and took my 30-30 and Dad's 30-30 to the range the groups dropped from 3" groups (on the average) to an astounding 1 inch group (on the average) at 100 yards...this was amazing ammo...so I went out and bought some 35 Rem in the Hornady LeveRevolution....

Like Split Toe states - this is amazing ammo.....I even went out and bought me a bolt action Remington 788 (1968) in the 30-30 Win because of the Ammo and put my first Leupold (1972 - VX2) scope on it...and it shoot amazing with the ammo. Generally Under an inch groups at 100 yards, even in the 1968 Rem Mod 788.....

See Pix
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 06:42:02 PM »
Is Congrats on the CVA purchase.  I am a big fan of CVA.  Nice choice on caliber too. I have seen three deer taken with a 44mag rifle.  The guy use hollow points and not sure what grain amo.  But it sure did a number on them.  I am also fond of Hornady Critical Defense. I use it in my 9mm.  I believe it is available in 44. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 07:08:56 PM »
Deerhead is right, congrats on the CVA, I think the majority of hunters down at the Butts County Sportsman Club (Georgia) use the CVA...I know I do and love my CVA as well as Deerhead and others do....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad