New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cooper M52 in 280 Remington  (Read 775 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Cooper M52 in 280 Remington
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
Bo - could that existing rail which is interfering with case ejection simply be machined away enough to allow the cases to clear?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
Mad - yes it could, that is what is in the back of my mind now, if I cannot find a decent scope base and I have trouble with Talley, then I will have it milled down about half the distance, mount it and go from there...but that is a couple of weeks away....thanks Mad....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 07:17:31 PM »
Talley gave me a call once I email them late Thursday (April 30th) and told them that there Picatinny rail was too short by a quarter of an inch....they guy from Tally responded that apparently, Cooper did not have their model 52 dimensional distance down pat when they first came out with the Model 52....but this I do know, once he saw "apparently" I check it out with my Model 52 the 270 and the 280 AI and sure enough the other model 52's would fit the Tally Picatinny rail....so now I am waiting on the 2 piece Tally mounts and 30mm med rings....should be in the first part of the week...have a tracking number for it....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »
Got the bases and rings from Talley yesterday (yes on Sunday) and instantly mounted them....then wait to the Locktite 242 dries over night...this morning called my FFL to set up a time to pick the Savage 220 up....(also had to get a present/card for the wife...she deserves it by putting up to me and keep our yard looking the best on the street, by far)...while waiting went ahead and torque down the bases to 55 inch lbs, none of them all four of them moved at all !! so I was thinking that I would get the....

If anybody has messed with Talley rings and bases, they know that they can be a pain in the behind and those tiny screws....who in their right minds would put very very tiny springs, (make the spring used on the AR15 the Din Pins, looked very big) so anyway started messing around with them and had to take them apart 3 to 4 times before I got it right...but I finally.

Then the moment of truth, will the shell eject! - drum roll - yes it works great clear the receiver very good....so now have to start tweaking it tomorrow morning....getting the stock and rifle aligned, getting the scope bore sighted, make sure the can't level is set correctly....so today got two things accomplished, got the Savage 220 slug gun ready to go the the range and the Cooper M52 in 280 Rem almost ready to go to the range.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
nice work. i'm glad it worked out. time for the range --09--0 --09--0

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »
Yari - This morning have to take it out and hang a string off the truck and (yes, it hangs off the roof rack) it is about 20 yards from the truck to the Gun Rest where I will be working at...so will be tweaking the leveling the gun (using levels and the florescent string hanging off the truck) and the crosshairs of the Leupold VX6, next the Vortex cant level will get it properly installed and finally will bore site the rifle with an old Tasco 30 bore sighted (circa - about 1975) that I got from K-mart in Atlanta...never thought I would need any arbor except the 277 and the 308....boy have things changed....

The shells eject properly like a model 52 and it was the back base that was causing all the problems, and the age of the rifle....the first picture is as I founded and used it for years and years pretending it was a single shot...LOL....not a model 52 and the second picture is after picture, where it stands today....it was expensive at the cost of pair of 30mm Leupold rings and a new Talley two piece extended base and another pair of Talley 30mm rings. With the spare Talley picatinny rail and now a pair of Leupold 30mm rings...wow how expensive was this....but at least it a Model 52 repeater.....thanks for all the reponses...

And now onto the Savage 220.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
i'll have to hang a string in the house. it's almost impossible to find a calm day here

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
Well Yari - its going to rain this afternoon and had to work in a hurry, because of the wind....I was thinking about the Garage but you have to set you scope on its lowest power....and then jack up the scope power for bore sighting....but it is back with the rest of the Coopers so it is happy now....next stop will be at the range.....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
Early this morning before 7 AM, had to take the Cooper out in the garage with some live ammo and check the cycling of the shells, it worked perfectly...shells ejected the way they should....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 08:14:27 AM »
Since the original post, have taken the Cooper Model 52 in 280 Rem to the range twice, and both time the ejector did work just fine....here what I did, was to load up dummy rounds, using the dies (Redding) I have set up for the 280 and it OAL.....after loading up the dummy rounds, no powder and primer did cycle the rounds in the 280....and it worked fine here at the house and at the range and again at the range for the second time...it worked perfectly...so now this "extractor problem" that I once had is gone and is nothing but a bad memory....cost a small fortune to repair, but got it done by myself..... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad