New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Cooper M52 in 280 Remington  (Read 806 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Cooper M52 in 280 Remington
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
I purchased this rifle from a guy in Chattanooga area, (I drove down and picked it up). The one thing that struck me was his very long concrete driveway. Split Toe has a long driveway on his 12 acres but this guy house had to be probably quarter mile long...anyway it was a very nice place....when discussing the purchased, I told him that I was going to put a Leupold or Zeiss on it (ended up putting a VX6 on it). But it had on it a Nikon Monarch and I told him that I did now like it...so he pulled the scope off while we were talking....but left the scope mounts on the rifle.

So I got the rifle home and got the scope mounted and it was amazing accurate. I would say that it is my second most accurate Cooper that I own, the most accurate is my Cooper M22 in 7x57 Mauser. A single shot that can put the rounds through the same hole!!

Anyway got the Cooper 280 to the range and shot it and it kept hanging up would not eject, had to reach in and pull the spent case out with my fingers....I think I bought the rifle about 2011. so for 8 or 9 years have thought that I might need a extractor or send it back to Cooper to let them perform the service on the rifle.....

Yesterday morning was doing some investigation studying of rifle and saw the problem!! It was the the the scope mount itself....once I removed the scope and had some spent shells that I used to simulate the action, found each time I would try to eject the shell, it would hit the back of the scope mount. After removing the scope mounts from the rifle, the shell ejected just fine. I must have done this about a dozen times, each time it would eject the shell perfectly....

It got me to think whether the guy who previously own the Cooper did not know what he was doing or why did I wait 8 or 9 years to find out the problem that was staring me in the face....daaaa....

The solution was to order an shorter scope back base for the Cooper for which I did from Midway and it should be here probably next Tues or Wed......it should work just fine when I get it
Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Cooper M52 in 280 Remington
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:39:22 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Cooper M52 in 280 Remington
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
my first thought was, I would hate to plow that driveway. no thx

my buddy still hasn't figured out why his cooper drops the clip after he shoots. he's getting frustrated.

glad you figured out your issue
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:12:47 PM »
Bo - it's exciting and frustrating all at the same time when you discover something like that.  Exciting that you can fix it but irritating as heck that you didn't notice it right out of the gate.  That rear mount couldn't possibly have been correct for that rifle from the get go - previous owner had to be dealing with the very same issue.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:38:17 PM »
Yari - have your buddy look at this thread, particularly response #12 in the string.  This is a recent one, sounds like Cooper may have an understanding of the issue, and potentially a fix?

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/cooper-model-92-52-backcountry-magazine-issue.164647/
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »
thx mad. i'll send him the info
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:10:06 PM »
I have been spending a lot of time in the gun room lately doing gunsmithing that I can do....The 280 Rem Cooper find and all I did was to take some spent shells and ran them through the sequence and it was obvious to me what the problem was, so I order a couple of most scope mounts for the scope....Daaa....it was a no brainier....

What I did after the Cooper fix was to gather up my other Blaser R93 parts and pieces and put them in a pile for the new stock arrives (hopefully this or early next week). Just a few minutes ago got off the phone with the guy in Anchorage AK talking to him. He said that he has the FFL now and it will be out tomorrow morning (they are 4 hours behind us in the EST zone). Hopefully this time tomorrow, will have a tracking number....but once it is here and in my hands, will pick it up from my FFL dealer, I will finally have my three R93 Blaser's put together, finally....after figuring out what I had I order a couple more barrels...and now after getting the $2k stock in for the 280 Blaser, ouch!!! I put it together last year and knew that I would have to get another stock for the 300WSM. It required a different bolt head, a different bolt, a different barrel, a different magazine. So last year I realize that all I need was the stock..and now it is on it way....and I am on my way to have 3 - R93 Blaser's....

As far are you friend magazine fix goes, I would be sending it back to Cooper for sure...it is an expensive rifle....it may just be the magazine, who knows....I have six Cooper rifles that take the Cooper magazines, all Model 52's = a 7x57, a 338-06, a 280 and 280AI, Model 54's = a 308 Win and a Custom in 308 Win. Never had any trouble out of them except this 280 Rem and found out that it was the previous owner fault....

Looking for a used Cooper 270 Win these days!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 07:36:23 PM »
Bo   I almost bought a model 92 backcountry in 6.5x284. The bolt was very hard to lift, I mean very hard to lift. Last summer I was at Reeds Gun Fair and shot a model 92 and the long range model, both in 300 Win. Both were very nice rifles and the muzzle breaks did a good job reducing recoil too. The guy working the Cooper booth said that the problem with the model 92 had been fixed and it should of never been shipped out to a retailer.

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 08:13:30 PM »
Bo   I almost bought a model 92 backcountry in 6.5x284. The bolt was very hard to lift, I mean very hard to lift. Last summer I was at Reeds Gun Fair and shot a model 92 and the long range model, both in 300 Win. Both were very nice rifles and the muzzle breaks did a good job reducing recoil too. The guy working the Cooper booth said that the problem with the model 92 had been fixed and it should of never been shipped out to a retailer.

that is where my buddy bought his cooper .300 last year. you probably ran into each other. small world
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
After reading all of yawls post about cooper, maybe its time for a substitute for Cooper....wonder if they have gotten to big for their britches!! Maybe it is time to look at another manufacturer....maybe Bergara??

Just like Leupold is always my go-to scope, but then you got to look at Vortex and their guarantees and Customer Services as well.... just recently I sent a Leupold scope back to the factory for some adjustment to the power ring, it was very very hard to turn up or down....been like that for 10 years...but never heard a word from them....got one email from them stating it would take 7 weeks to fix...so I waited and waited on the scope. This past Saturday received it in the mail USPS....it took the almost 3 months to fix it and to get it back to me....noting not an email or a phone call.....

I have a Leupold VX6 on the Cooper 280 and have a Vortex Viper on the Bergara THM B14 .....hum...sigh on thing to come.....maybe but we will see.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 08:07:42 PM »
Yari    The reeds gun fair is awesome. last year I shot over 50 guns in 1 day. I shot a Gunwerks rifle and scope combo that sells for $10,000. It costs $20 for parking and all the shooting is free.

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 08:45:20 PM »
Yari    The reeds gun fair is awesome. last year I shot over 50 guns in 1 day. I shot a Gunwerks rifle and scope combo that sells for $10,000. It costs $20 for parking and all the shooting is free.

that's what I heard. I need to get up there. probably not this year w/ the Croner though. what a great way to spend a day

gunwerks is crazy good stuff. I doubt I will ever bite the bullet and buy one though. it's full to look though --09--0 --09--0
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »
Yari - Just received today a "new to me" Cooper M52 magazine that I got off of Gunbroker - it fits up into a 7x57mm or a 338-06 or a 280 or 280AI or 270 Win.....Just pulled then all of the out and swapped magazine and the all fitted up and stayed in place....I also have model 54 - a couple of Cooper 308's...

Maybe it is the magazine ?? from the factory ?? Have you ever thought that, that could be your buddies problem?? it's either the magazine of the magazine release that is not working, it's got to be one of the two....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »
Yari - Just received today a "new to me" Cooper M52 magazine that I got off of Gunbroker - it fits up into a 7x57mm or a 338-06 or a 280 or 280AI or 270 Win.....Just pulled then all of the out and swapped magazine and the all fitted up and stayed in place....I also have model 54 - a couple of Cooper 308's...

Maybe it is the magazine ?? from the factory ?? Have you ever thought that, that could be your buddies problem?? it's either the magazine of the magazine release that is not working, it's got to be one of the two....

mad sent me a post from a different group and it stated it was the magazine. i forwarded the info and he is calling Cooper. for what a cooper costs and the issues he's had, they should send him a new 'corrected' magazine at no charge. it's been a real pain and expensive. he's had to drive 175 miles round trip a few times to a cooper expert and have him work on it. first it was the rings the cooper rep sold him, then the magazine. i would be ticked   
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 06:37:16 AM »
Yari - I would be ticked as well....

In my case, the darn Cooper is so accurate that I sort of thought to myself that I would use it as a single shot and never paid any attention to it before a few weeks ago...then I started looking into it and saw the problem....and now I will correct it when the Tally Picatinny rail comes in, it is especially made for the Cooper 52....hope it works will let you guys know....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:53 PM »
And the Saga Continues - Got the Talley Picatinny Rail in just before lunch - it is to short, by .25".... just got through writing them an email explaining what I have. I told Talley that I had a standard Cooper 52 in 280 Rem.....we will see how they respond....I hope I can send the Picatinny rail back and buy their two piece base and rings...the Picatinny rail was $81.05 to my door...ouch....and now another 100+ for their 2 piece bases and rings....another ouch!! Owning a Cooper and Blaser R93 is not cheap...holy cow....

Not - The 280 Rem is sort of hard to operate as well, thought maybe it not clean but shortly after I got it and got it to the range and shot is a few times, clean the rifle completely down to the firing pin level....and oil it up and it seem still to stick, do I file it down or just let it be for now....I think that one problem at a time, so I will resolved the scope issue then tackle the bolt sticking a bit....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:11:10 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad