New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Florida hunting Deer & Turkey  (Read 701 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Florida hunting Deer & Turkey
« on: April 19, 2020, 09:08:19 AM »
Well, a few weeks away to May and my great escape to retire to SW Florida.

I checked out a hunt club on FB. Property was large, folks were fun but $2k for an annual lease is above my pay grade

I figure I have to travel north of Central Florida or west to panhandle.

I could keep my driving to daylight hours I can do 8-10 hour drive, max. I used to haul butt to my old buddy’s stomping ground when I was younger but a drive to Geiger, Alabama took two days. After being on too many crash calls with the FD in my career, I know not to push a drive. Nod out for 5 seconds is not a good thing in a moving vehicle.

Anyway, does anyone know of a turkey/deer hunting club that may be open to an old coot like me?

Thanks!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Florida hunting Deer & Turkey
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 09:49:42 AM »
up here, there is a hunting lease network. they lease several pieces of land in different states. it would be nice, because you aren't limited to one state or piece of land. google it in you area. might work out
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 10:46:46 PM »
There surely ought to be affordable leases near your new home.  Sometimes it takes a bit of time to find out what is going on.  Gun shops, feed stores (local establishments not the Tractor Supply type) are some of the folks who will know who is into hunting.
Another place would be talking to FWC employees, especially the law enforcement folks (game wardens), they probably know more than anyone who manages leases on private property.
The Wildlife Management Areas in Florida cover almost 6 million acres.  Go to myfwc.com and you'll find info on those areas.  There are all sorts of different rules and regulations on the different areas and there are several in southwest Florida.
It's been close to 50 years since I hunted on a WMA and since that time much of the once coveted private lands have been included in the WMA network.
I just spent a few minutes and googled "hunting lease in southwest Florida", there are lots of pages to sort through but probably some information to help you figure what may be available.
I believe I mentioned once before, somebody in one the Fire Departments down there has got to be a hunter.
I do hope you find a place close to home and Florida hunting will probably be a learning experience that will be enjoyable.
Treefarmer

Offline Hunt Master

• Administrator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • If at once you dont succeed, nock another arrow!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:13:10 AM »
I grew up in south Alabama and most of the leases are large because almost all of the land available for lease is pine tree plantations and the timber companies dont like to split up those large tracts. The average cost to join one of those clubs is $1500 to $2000 per year.
If you can't be hunting....  Be here...  --9-8-7
TalkHunting  Founder

New Page 3

Google Ad