New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Reloading - Accident!!  (Read 548 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Reloading - Accident!!
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
Have you ever got distracted and filled the casing twice?? I know I have done this plenty of time....most of the time I try to recover as much power as possible, it is very expensive...after a few times I had tried to fill up the case twice...Daa!! I finally figure it out.... I got a sandwich tray that I saved from the container that your lunch meat came it....and I have had three, and each time it gets bigger....

Well this morning and I reloading some 308 rounds up and got distracted by the wife. So when I returned instead of using the flashlight to see where I left off at, I just weigh out another charge and poured it down the spout!! Eeks...so I left the double charge where it was at and finished reloading the rest of the rounds....

Come to find out that the powder has some coating on it, a flame retardant...and it has an oily base...tying to get the powder out of the case placement on the case reloading tray can be tricky at best, the best way that I have found is to take a cotton swab and run it around each case. At first the cotton swab will be absorbent and the gun powder will cling to it, then as the swab stabilizes, it will begin to release the powder. A toothpick is also good for this....

I got a container big enough so that the whole RCBS reloading block will fit into....next as the picture shows, I turn the entire reloading block over that let the contents fall into the lunch tray...once I get through banging the back of it and using the cotton swab in getting all the gunpowder I can, then it down to the toothpicks and to recover 99.9% of the powder....and the final step it that you will pour it back into the dispenser (I use a measuring cup) to be reused...

The load this time was 43.25 gns of Viht 140 and a 165 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip for the Savage Camo stock model 10 in 308 Win.....

Wanted to show you guys that Dutch and I are just like you guys, we put our pants on one leg at a time and to show you that I make mistakes also. Sure I make a lot of mistakes but it is what you do to recover from them that is the important factor in all this....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Reloading - Accident!!
« on: April 18, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Reloading - Accident!!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
well I put powder and a bullet in some and did not take the old fired primer out    --099-780
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:51:51 AM »
My load for 308 fills the case almost to the neck, so in case of a double charge is readily apparent. I look at my charged cases twice. Once when I charge it, again when I put the bullet in. I find it easier to charge all the cases, then seat the bullets. I'm doubly careful when I load 45lc, since you could easily double or triple chstge a case, if you're not careful.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 02:04:38 PM »
Guys - Thanks for the comments, I did it again today, this time the powder got stuck inside the funnel this time and I could not see the powder and so when went to remove the funnel about half the powder came out, so I quickly removed the rest of the rounds (about 5 of them) and clean the tray and put the residual powder back inside the container...this time I was reloading for my Cooper M52 338-06....

Thanks again for all the comments......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »
Bo, maybe you are having a problem with static electricity.  Wash your funnel with dish detergent, and let it dry, without rinsing off the dish detergent.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:35:45 AM »
I haven't heard of that trick before Louie, but will give it a try.  I've definitely had static issues with my plastic funnels.
Thanks for the tip!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:56:20 AM »
Louie - Thanks, when the temperature get to be below 60 F inside I have a problem. I will pull off specific shoes (if I am wearing them) so not to generate Static Electricity (SE). When the temp falls to below 60 outside and I will reload, have to pull off my tennis shoes. They will generate SE. Even though after the big flood, we have some insulation and wooden floors put in downstairs and I notice it quickly after coming in last March (2019) and touching the door knob, ouch!! Got shocked because of the SE. From that point on, knew that the SE would be a problem and the faster I push the powder in the more of a charge that it brings....

Being or use to be a stereophile when handling of playing my vinyl albums (yes I still have those beauties - a little over 1100 of them and almost 1500 45's) I use to wearing a ground wire on my index finger!! Also have many anti-static devices and cleaners to remove or neutralize the SE....remember the anti-static Empire Gun, looked like a small pistol and it still works today, just ask the wife!!

Since the accident have been going over my procedure and realize that I was reloading in a hurry...I would load up the primer first, then the powder and finally seat the bullet...now I reloading one bullet at a time, slowing down the powder flow has help a lot. Taking a look using a flashlight (Lord knows I have plenty of those) to peer down into the cases to see if they have a primer and bullet in them..one at a time!! I'm retired now....

But yes the powder funnel could use a good cleaning using a Q-tip and some soapy water...thanks for the tip....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »
Bo - food for thought, I changed to an aluminum funnel years back for the same reason. I also grounded the loading bench and press, I have not had the SE issues since.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
We have a problem with SE, too, especially duet ing cold weather. Get up of the couch, turn the light on in the kitchen, and you get a shock. Sometimes, petting the dog, we both get a shock. Not so much on the basement, where I do my reloading, but I have made it a habit to tap my powder funnel, after charging a case.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:59:22 PM »
YEP!   ??? I used to do that sometimes.  @--0--0117 I fired that dummy!!!!  @--0--0128

What I started doing is charging the cases and seating the bullet after throwing the powder. I don't final length seat them just enough to keep the bullet (or cork ##$%#112) in. I found it very difficult to add more powder when the "cork" is in place!  @--0--0137 I also set up enough cases to finish without having to quit and come back.

Static electricity is a problem. Like Gut said I use aluminum static-free funnels during dry indoor conditions. When it's really bad I put on a pair of copper bracelets with ground wires to resolve the issue. There are static release agents available I just prefer to accessorize with the bling. Makes my eyes pop! --099-780 @--0--0123  DUTCH OUT!
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 06:19:48 PM »
Talk about old powder, look it is an old Aluminum Cans!! But it is brand new, have not opened it up....when I did, I put the old smell test and it smell like good gunpowder so I use it....I loaded up 15 7x57 Mauser for my Ruger #1A (yes, it is short for sure). I had loaded some 20+ rounds in it before, but was out of them and looked at all of the targets, all 43 of them and just did not like using the 140 Gn Sierra GameKing and the Hornady 139 Gn Spitzer in it....so this time I loaded up some 145 Gn Speer BT Spitzer's using 44.125 gns the old can of 760, have a couple of new plastic cans of 760, but if this powder works, it says a lot about the powder. The powder has to be a least 30 to 35 years old probably older....Honest, I don't like to use powder that is over 10 years old for any reason, but will try this older powder.

I love plastic in my powder funnel, and my main funnel (1 cup measure plastic cup is what I use)....I do get a slight static charge but after removing the run, last year, there is no problem with it...believe me I notice everything and I'm sure I would have picked up on it...but early this morning before the wife got up was cleaning with a Q-tip my powder funnel and my measuring cup in the sink this morning, it sure helped out is seeing the powder go into the case....I also keep it extremely dry in my gun safes, with a golden rod in each safe (3) and a open cup of Damp Rid as a back up....

Yep I slowed down a bunch since I'm retired...LOL...yea right...really I have slowed down pouring the powder into the case and that has worked instead of rushing to get the powder in, I have analyzed the problem every since the "accident" and really have changed my routine, one shell at a time....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:22:04 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »
Bo - when you apply the sniff test, what does bad powder smell like?  I don't have any that's terribly old, but do have several 1 pound canisters that are partially used & have had the seal busted for 2-3 years.  My reloading area is downstairs, pretty stable temp and low humidity.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »
Roger, I understand it smells vinegary. Sometimes, it may have a reddish cast to it.
NRA Life Member.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 03:15:37 AM »
Well boys It pass the sniff test, with it vinegary smell and when I went to check it, I did look at it under the magnifier and it look black.....so after I loaded them up, had to load up some 225 gn 338 Federal using IMR3031....Found some old power cans in it...very old, from Atlanta, no less than 35 years old and it too was from an Aluminum Can, matter of fact have two cans of IMR3031, one tin can of IMR4320, one tin can of IMR4350 and another two tin cans of IMR4064....I check them all and one of the Cans of IMR4064 is starting to go bad, I guess it wasn't seal up properly.....

So Yesterday loaded up some of the 338-06, and both 338 Federal, no "accidents" either...LOL...

So this morning, will pick up the Blaser R93 stock this morning from my FFL (Because of the Trigger that is built into the stock, and the BATF wants to track the Triggers) and will come home and put the 300 WSM Blaser R93 Together....and make sure I have ammo for it as well....have all the parts and pieces of the 300WSM and all I needed was the stock, so now will be sort of busy putting together the Blaser and then mounting the scope, and bore sighting it in, then make sure the ammo is there (at least 20 rounds) mounting a Vortex of equal cant level on the scope.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad