New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: New (to me) Contender  (Read 286 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
New (to me) Contender
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
Last week I received the new G2 Contender frame I ordered from Haus of Arms, and today I received the used (barely) 10" barrel in .44 mag.  Hope to find time to shoot it tomorrow.  Haus of Arms did a trigger job on it, very smooth and very light.  If this shoots as well as I expect, I will retire and/or sell my Super Blackhawk.  Only intending to use it for deer hunting.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

New (to me) Contender
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:07:49 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: New (to me) Contender
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:47:46 PM »
it's funny. everyone wants a .44 until it goes bang. it's a lot of gun and most don't like it. I bought my ruger Redhawk stainless +30 years ago and it was like new.

how long is the contender? looks bigger than my ruger w/ 7-8" barrel. mine is is tough to access when hunting w/ a shoulder harness

congrats
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:47:02 AM »
Yari - I remember working in Texas one summer at a Power plant that had burnt down, Lake Ray Hubbard (back in the 80's). There was this guy there that said that with his Contender, in 7-30 Waters, that he could hit a 2 lb coffee can at 300 hundred yards....this other guy that I knew looked at each other and said that we would pay good money to see that....so it was on...$20 each to see if he could hit that can at 300 yard on his first shot....

We met after work at a place in the middle of nowhere where you could see for miles and miles with no trees...anyway...he got his mat out and laid it on the ground and then laid down and rested the gun on his leg, A technique that we both had never seen before...the grab the back of his head with his left hand and aim and held the Contender with his right....We watch when he shot and we had set his (the shooter) spotting scope. He barely missed on his first shot but nailed it on his second and third shots.....talk about impressed, we both were and even though the bet was for the first shot, we were both impressed with the accuracy of the T/C Contender....

Is this to replace the retire Redhawk? do you plan on getting any more barrels for it? Maybe a 308 Win barrel?...LOL....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:39:09 AM »
My Super Blackhawk shoots pretty good, and I reload for .44 so I can make them as mild or wild as needed.  My hottest loads aren't much fun to shoot in that 7.5" gun.  Will be curious how bad they feel with this Contender in a 10" barrel.  It's heavy, but balanced.  Thought about getting a 12 or 14" barrel but was concerned about the balance.  Will start out today with my mouse fart loads, then some factory hunting loads, then some of the really heavy stuff if I feel the need.  Will have to watch for pressure signs, as the Contender will run hotter than the revolver does. 

Bo, I'm sure I'll get more barrels, but will leave the .308s on the shelf for you!  Just don't have anything useful to do with that caliber at this time. 
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:37:50 AM »
bo- 300 yards is impressive. I can't picture his shooting position though. sounds very odd

mad- let us know how it shoots. what kind of a holster? you obviously have a longer frame, but my Redhawk was clumsy w/ my shoulder holster. it sure packed a wallop on deer though
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 08:56:17 AM »
I have a chest holster Yari that I actually got when I bought the Super Blackhawk.  It didn't fit the revolver well (previous owner had a big fat red dot on it which I removed) but it's a great fit for the Contender.  I may have to do a little tweaking of the retention strap but it seems very functional.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 08:58:42 AM »
I have a chest holster Yari that I actually got when I bought the Super Blackhawk.  It didn't fit the revolver well (previous owner had a big fat red dot on it which I removed) but it's a great fit for the Contender.  I may have to do a little tweaking of the retention strap but it seems very functional.

I personally don't like the red dots. a 1.5X scope is perfect for me
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »

I personally don't like the red dots. a 1.5X scope is perfect for me
I'm still hoping I can make it work with irons, but if not either a low magnification scope or a red dot will go on it.  I have a red dot that I really like on one of my ARs, but that BSA which came with the revolver was pure junk.  It's bulky, won't hold zero, and eats batteries.
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
on my contender I had a 357 harett 14 inch barrel with a scope shot great but the bullet did to much meat damage on the deer I stopped uses it deer would drop on the spot when hit. now I have a 22 barrel 14 inch with a 2 power scope on it my holster is under the left arm with the big barrel that is the only spot to carry it
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
Mad   congrats on the new toy. I've never owned a contender but have shot several. 22 hornet,223,7mm tcu, 410/45 long colt, 357 max, 30-30 win, 35 rem and 7mm08 are the cartridges that come to mind. My brother and cousin were into them big about 25-30 years ago. my brother has 2 frames and several barrels now but doesn't shoot them much anymore. All the contenders I have shot were very accurate and had real nice triggers. good quality guns. But the 410/45 long colt barrel was a disappointment as the pattern on the 410 was so big at even 10 yards that it was easy to miss stripped gophers.   Enjoy the new toy.

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »
Mad   congrats on the new toy. I've never owned a contender but have shot several. 22 hornet,223,7mm tcu, 410/45 long colt, 357 max, 30-30 win, 35 rem and 7mm08 are the cartridges that come to mind. My brother and cousin were into them big about 25-30 years ago. my brother has 2 frames and several barrels now but doesn't shoot them much anymore. All the contenders I have shot were very accurate and had real nice triggers. good quality guns. But the 410/45 long colt barrel was a disappointment as the pattern on the 410 was so big at even 10 yards that it was easy to miss stripped gophers.   Enjoy the new toy.

I agree. i'm not impressed w/ the 'pistol shotgun' idea. the barrel is just too short
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
I bought a contender 'package' several years ago.   It's an older style, before the G2 came out.

The package consisted of a scoped 22LR, scoped 357 MAG, .45 colt and .44 MAG.     It was too good to pass up as it included basically everything I would ever want in one package.

I did put a scope on the .44 MAG but never did spend as much range time with it as I wanted.

The Contender is a great gun that is more accurate than most that shoot it.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 09:06:59 PM »
I put about 25 rounds through it yesterday with the .44 mag barrel.  I had a bunch of light loads I put together with 240 gr lead cast and Trailboss, then shot a few factory loads (250 gr Winchesters) and just one of my hot handloads that I was using in the Super Blackhawk.  I gotta work on my technique, and may have to change the rear sight out.  Was shooting at 35 yds from a rest, had a hard time finding the paper at first.  Dialed the rear sight as low as it will go and it's still 5" high with those light Trailboss loads.  Once I got it dialed in, I put my last 5 shots in about a 1.5" group (but 5" high).  The factory loads are really scattered, gotta figure out how much of that is me vs the gun or the loads.  The chamber seems really deep in that there is quite a bit of jump before the bullet engages the rifling.  Saw some info on line indicating that resting on the forearm is a problem, but others say that's the way to go.  More learning to do.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
nice final group, but don't understand why the sight doesn't adjust further? I had that issue on my once gifted .357. I just had to learn to aim low. good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad