New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Buying Extra Magazine  (Read 842 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Buying Extra Magazine
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
What I've been doing lately, besides reloading a ton of rounds, is to go through and to make sure that I have an extra magazines or two of all the bolt - semi auto rifles that I own. Have been on this buying kick lately of extra magazine. The only exception is of my AR15 style rifles. I have plenty of 10 and 20 round magazines for them, but the AR10 is a different story....

Sure, I can use my Cooper 280 and 270 and 280 AI in the same magazine? same goes for the 2 Cooper 308 Model 54 (one I bought new NIB and the other new to me) and can use the same magazine in either one of them...the other 2 are the single shot variety the M22....

My Remington 700 LTR 308 and my custom Remington 338 Federal (started out as a 308) are from the same vintage (manufacturer around the same year) both have the same DBM (Drop Box Magazine). I was lucky to discovered the both rifle took the same BDM....I have 4 extra magazines for it now... 

And you guys remembered the 700 Varmints I just got through working on in 243, 7mm-08 and the 308, all have the Magpul P5 magazines in them now...and have 3 extra magazine for them now....one for each caliber....

The Bergara THM B14 in 6.5 Creedmoor has about 5 extra magazines for it, but they can fit into my Savage 10 BA Stealth also in 6.5 CM...

The only one I am looking for is the Mossberg Patriot Predator in the 6.5 PRC....could use another long action Cooper magazine.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Buying Extra Magazine
« on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:41 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Buying Extra Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
I'd say you are set on mags Bo. I usually have 2 for each weapon just in case. I got 4 for my Glock though. But now that I think about I better get 1 more for each. I need one for my Remington 760 my Tikka and 3 22's. Then I believe I will be ready thanks for the post.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:19:05 AM »
Blue - Yea, you almost have enough.

After posting yesterday, was down in the gun room trying to organize, more, the mags that I have. What I do have is a tray that lunch sandwich meats come in and have saved a bunch of them for the mags. I have tags inside the "mag trays" as I called them, a tag with the rifle and a tag for the matching magazine along with the label on the outside of the container on it for the specific line of rifle....

The Bergara that started it all has many different rifles that us the same mag...naturally it is the 308. I have all the mags for it 2 - 3 shot, 2 - 5 shot, and 2 -10 shot magazine, but never have use them, have use both the three shot and five shot mags in it but don't know where I would use a 10 shot magazine bolt action rifle at...LOL....but have two of them as well. 

Like most of you have different styles of magazines for different rifles....even have a extra magazine for a Remington Model 788 30-30 caliber!! and the 742's have 4 of those type magazine. But they are not cheap either...

I remember doing this a few years ago, going through my semi-auto pistols and with each of them get 6 to 8 extra magazines and a carrying case from midway. Got the carrying case first then started looking into buy extra magazines. So now I have many semi-auto pistols with plenty of extra magazines, for example, I have a favorite pistol of mine is a Kel-Tel 30PMR 22 mag pistol, in the carrying case have 8 magazines (Because that was the number of slots in the carrying case...LOL...) and can carry 200 rounds of ammo and using 25 rounds per magazine I can load up 4 -50 round boxes and have them ready just in case....but I do carry the ammo needed in the carrying case it self, all of them came from MidwayUSA and most of them are Black with tags on each bag telling me what pistol is in the case. I'm figuring each case has about a $1000 in it, with it ammo, the extra magazines and the pistol itself...like I said this isn't a cheap process....

With this crazy virus and the folks out of work, you got to prepare for the worst...hate to say that, but it's true.....hang in there, we are all in this together.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »
ok question do you keep ammo in the mags or just have them read to put in ammo and if you have ammo in the mags will that make the spring in it get weak
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:13:45 PM »
Dave, I don't have any concerns with keeping mags loaded, with a couple of exceptions.  On plastic mags such as a Pmag for an AR, I suggest using the molded plastic caps to keep the load off the feed lips.  Most plastics will creep over time with a load on them, and it doesn't take much change in shape on the feed lips to cause function problems.  Second, be sure that your mags, metal or plastic, are stored in a dry environment.  If the springs are stressed (fully loaded) in a corrosive environment, they can fail.  Otherwise I don't have any concerns about keeping a good quality mag loaded.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:47:22 PM »
 ##$%#115  for the info
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 06:26:26 AM »
Dave - Yes and No is the answer to your question. I will rotate them every 6 months or so. For example, if I have 6 mags, I will have two of them loaded with ammo and ready to go if needed. Then after will unload 2 those loaded magazine and will load up two more, and after 6 months....so about every 18 months will use the same mags as I did 18 months before and so forth....

I know about the compression stress that keeping a clip loaded up can have on the spring of the magazine...so I am careful of it......also switch out the ammo as well....

Yes each "pistol bag" has a pistol, the magazine in the firearm, the extra magazine, its ammo and a left handed holster. I also had to label each bag to let me know what is in each bag....

I agree with Mad in the good quality magazine is a key to having them ready when you need them....

Now revolvers are a different breed, about once a year will go around the house and gather up all the revolvers and clean them and make sure that inspect the ammo, under the magnifying glass...then when I replace the revolver in its place will make sure that I can grab it with in a second...Just in case....being older has caused me to think about changes made because of my age....70....Wow, how did I get to be this old so quickly??!!! I guess I didn't see it coming, it sneaked up on me....LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 05:50:18 AM »
Got in late yesterday, a package containing 2 Remington Short Action DBM...so now I have 6 DBM for my Remington LTR and the 338 Federal Varmint....yea!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 10:10:35 AM »
Just found 2 Cooper M54 (243, 260, 308, etc.) on Gunbroker that I am bidding on....got a Sauer 200 mag in, and a Cooper M52 extra mag in as well, but after these two, it should be it.....hopefully....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 08:34:02 AM »
Today I find out if I won the auction for the Cooper M54 extra magazines on Gunbroker.....hope so....should know by noon today....

That should do it, except for a Mossberg 6.5 PRC extra magazine that is getting hard to find...might have to go to Mossberg to get it......

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
That should do it?  I find that hard to believe Bo!   --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »
Mad - I figure when they put me into the ground, then and only then, that should do it....LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 07:35:09 PM »
There you go - that's more like it!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »
Just found a Mossberg a couple of extra Magazine for my 6.5 PRC (See pix) went ahead and purchased it this morning.....in about a week will have 4 Bergara Mags and 2 Coopers for the M54 SA (stands for short action) 308 length mags and now you can add the 2 Mossberg mags to the list....wow, in about a week I should be through with them extra magazines....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season